UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ouch.

Setting aside the issue of constant reissues/rereleases which PISSES ME OFF (no matter what line it's in) I have to say I am really burnt out on Minimates at the moment. I have so many it's hard to keep up. They're hitting so fast I can't enjoy them. I'm broke. Oh so very broke. This is better than the nothing that was 2006, but why are they force feeding us these things? My mind hurts. I'm broke. And tired. I almost don't care any more. WTH, DST? :(

Ugh, tell me about it.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Minimates. I am GLAD DST is giving us so many. I'm just a bit burnt out right now and felt like sharing. I was doing the math on Luke's Toy Store and I'm something like $200 short of Minimates I don't have, and thats the new stuff, and the price is gona rise and I'm just flipping out.

As someone who has collected just about anything 'geeky' over then last 34 years, I can attest to encountering 'collecting burnout.' I was spreading myself too thin with all my different collections: Comic books, video games, 3 3/4 GI Joe, Marvel Legends, Sideshow 1/6 figures and statues, and lest we forget Minimates.

I was stressed out financially and wasn't able to enjoy ANY of my hobbies, but felt like I needed to find a way to keep up with my collections. Finally, I just decided to focus on one line that I enjoy, and Minimates won out.

Maybe that's what you are running into TM2, burnout trying to juggle Minimates, Transformers, and your Black Cat fetish! ;)

Another Dino thread that ........for the most part...I agree with.

You're agreeing that he's burned out? I can agree with that also.

Last night I had to rummage through my Minimates to find some accessories and realized there were quite a few newer ones in storage that I hadn't even looked at, I had just taken them out of the packages to cut down on how much room they were taking up. I figure some day I'll get around to enjoying them, but not right now. Of course, I'm still buying more, but that's just because I have that 'gotta catch 'em all' mentality.

I'm feeling it, too. I've never collected a lot of lines at any one time, but when I have, I'm comitted (or should be!)... I still treasure my World of Springfield collection, though don't have room to display them as I'd like.

I love all the minimates coming out, but keeping up is becoming financially intimidating. And that's to just get ONE of any given pack or set... and you gotta get two new mutants at a minimum, multiples of the TRU sets to keep for potential trades, plus the odd set when you encounter breakage or other quality control issues. And you may never know what MAY be the pack/set that's available today, but gone the way of Angel/Warpath by tomorrow.

It's a lot to keep up with if you want to keep up.

I'm very thankful that I am not a completist. I buy the heck out of Minimates of course, but I feel no need to pick up things like the BSG line, the Max jet, or the Age of Apocalypse guys. I probably pass on as much as I buy, and I'm OK with that. For the poor souls that have no such restraint, I pity you. On the bright side, at least you guys aren't Kubrick or Hot Toys completists. Right? Those guys. . .man, there is no hope for them.

Edited by karamazov80

I have recently begun to unload a large amount of older things I have collected in order to be able to keep up. I also recently decided that I will stop being a completist because it is oh so hard and stressful, i.e. Battle Beasts and Con-exclusives. Just last night I sold the last of my non-Iron Man Marvel Legends to a dude and made enough to pay for my NYCC minimates and this month's MOTUC figure :( . And if minimates continue to come out at their current rate I may have to cut out some other things I still collect, like SW. But this is already a process I have been through as I have cut out other things, like GI Joe, and Transformers so that I could focus on minimates because I just love them too much!

I went through the "purge" process about 10 years ago with my Marvel ToyBiz collection, and it wasn't tough at the time (had my second kid on the way... you think shipping from AFX gets pricey?). I even sold customs that at the time I didn't think I'd ever miss. Now, going through boxes of leftovers, deciding what to keep or just toss, I feel a bit of regret.

I'm not a completionist on the mates (have no desire for the Battle Beasts), but do like the Marvel, BSG, Trek, GB, even the universal monsters (and WHY doesn't the New Mutants Rahne come with werewolf feet??)

I guess I don't want to consider there may come a day where I look at the mates and think "why did I ever spend my money on this?"

But that day is not today.

I've got to say that i'm on a bit of an X-High! I'm glad to be seeing so many X-related characters after years of wading through ultimate, new x-men & other dribs and drabs . . . it's really great to be getting the figures i grew up with in the 80's & 90's. My wallet is sore. . . but this Junky just can't get enough of the past year & halfs releases!

I'm burning out too. Don't get me wrong, DST is seeing more of my paycheck than I am and that probably won't change. I'm just not a huge fan of any of the licenses on the horizon and I've never been a huge X-Men fan, so I'm just buying them now for the sake of buying them.

On the bright side, we've got the MAX stuff coming, plus the inevitable Avengers related stuff, so I should be alright.

Stupid addiction. :biggrin:

plus the inevitable Avengers related stuff, so I should be alright.

Stupid addiction. :biggrin:

As you say - this is just the X before the oncoming ThorVengers storm. I'm sure in 2012 & 13 we'll see a lot of stuff that makes Avengers, Thor & Cap fans happy. (Which will be a bit of a drought period for yours truly)

Who know's. . . with the Avengers film coming out . . . we might even see a wave with Kang in it ;)

Thankfully I'm not burning out and don't see any sign of it in the future. My completionism (?) is not a burden. Sure, when three new waves show up at TRU at the same time my wallet groans. But debt is temporary, Minimates are forever.

I can quit anytime I want. I just don't want to. You can't make me. :D

Sure, when three new waves show up at TRU at the same time my wallet groans.

This is why I find it better when you help other people out. What I'm spending on Minimates just gets mixed in with what I'm spending for others, I just don't get paid back for it, but I don't notice it as much. I looked and saw I spent over $800 at TRU in the last month, but think 'it's okay, most of it wasn't for me' and never stop to see how much I really spent. Ignorance is the best way to debt, but at least there's bliss on the way there.

Sure, when three new waves show up at TRU at the same time my wallet groans.

This is why I find it better when you help other people out. What I'm spending on Minimates just gets mixed in with what I'm spending for others, I just don't get paid back for it, but I don't notice it as much. I looked and saw I spent over $800 at TRU in the last month, but think 'it's okay, most of it wasn't for me' and never stop to see how much I really spent. Ignorance is the best way to debt, but at least there's bliss on the way there.

Support groundhog7, because he will channel that energy and spread it all over the world!

I can see what Dino's talking aboot. Happened to me with Marvel Legends, but that may or may not have been Hasbro's fault. Minimates however, nah, I'm still enjoying them too much and the upcoming releases have me stoked! A pocket-sized Marvel universe is a great thing to have.

this is just like at work, when we are busy and dont see any relief in sight....it is a good problem to have.

I remember the lean years...i much prefer this.... I think about other collector's who would give anything for one more wave of their favorite toys...palz, xevox... 8 years strong, close to a 1000 minimates....yea good problem to have

moc847

Good grief, are we at $1000 ALREADY?

I have to say the Max mates have done me in. I love them more than the Marvel guys. They're better and they're instant army builders. But I'm not quitting Marvel. I just have to make more room. But that means the price tag almost doubles. Ugh.

All I can say is I'm GLAD we don't have DC mates to worry about!