UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spidey Musical and Cap Am Movie Info

MiniFiend UK

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ca... Ca... CARNAGE!?!?!? Oh HELL no! No! Don't ruin Carnage! Christo... this is starting to look like Spider-Man 3 in scope: Many villains, no time given to each! So not only are the costumes bogussauce, they'll not be able to develop those awful awful things... Maybe this is a good thing... maybe... no this is gonna suck. To incredible levels! Can't wait to see the reviews start pouring in! It's gonna be one of the funniest days of my life. :)

I love how the girl playing Mary Jane refers to the target audience as nerds. When I see these costumes all I can think is that the people who used to churn out Power Rangers were having a fire sale and the Broadway Production of Spider-Man got there late and settled for the really crappy costumes because all of the moderately crappy ones were taken..

Edited by minimadman

So it turns out as well as a Spidey Musical there will be a sorta Batman one as well.

http://www.batmanlive.com/home.php

Reading around it looks like its done by the same production set up from the people who did Walking With Dinosaurs Live. Now I went and saw the Dino one with the whole family from my 6 year old nephew to my GF's father and we all thought it was great.

So I guess I will give this Batman one a shot. Time for another family night out and a small bank robbery to fund it.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

I would actually like to witness the horror. It sounds so horrifyingly bad that it somehow becomes awesome. I saw a 60 minutes video earlier with the Edge and Bono from U2 (who apparently came up with the idea and wrote the songs) and the woman who wrote the script and did the choreography I guess, and they all seemed completely clueless. Obviously, these are accomplished artists in their own right, but they were so clearly out of their element. Sometimes, things like this are just fundamentally a bad idea. I wonder if it was a Lucas situation where Bono had advisors telling him that it was a horrible idea, but Bono would hear nothing of it--

Bono: "Spiderman is a cash cow! This has never been done before! It is going to revolutionize the theater by opening it up to the audiences to see comic book movies!"

Joe (Bono's friend): "No, this is going to be a horrible suck-fest. What are you doing?"

Bono: "Here is $10,000"

Joe: "Fantastic idea! You, my friend, are a genius!!!!"

Bono: "Yeah, I know."

I've seen a few theatre musicals based on already established stories. Wicked, Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, etc . . .

In my experience, a LOT of story and most of the emotional depth has to be removed to condense it down to a 2-hour play AND make room for the songs.

That preview showed Green Goblin, Kraven, Carnage, the Swiss Miss (sigh) and what looks like either Tombstone, Hammerhead or an amalgamation of both. . . how is there going to be room for ANY character development of those characters?

I'll admit - as others have mentioned already - i am *kinda* curious to see this. . . but with the way things are going it doesn't look like it'll ever make it to Australia.

I have to admit I was intrigued by the "Geek Chorus" bit mentioned here. (They also serve as the tongue-in-cheek justification for Swiss Miss in-story). I may have only a passing familiarity with musicals but I felt that a neat metafictional device like that one could have been put to use in better hands, maybe in a slightly less cheesy work.

I think this play was an attempt (albeit a sad one) at pandering to Spider-Man fanboys whilst overcompensating (and how!) on the Broadway-style theatricality. I do sort of feel bad for Bono and Edge who look like they put a lot of work into this thing, but I'm still trying to figure out an adequate enough Bizarro world where this musical could actually be good.

The most shocking thing to me is that Marvel hasn't put the brakes on this thing. Spider-man is Marvel's flagship character and, Broadway or not, it's never good to have your flagship character attached to a flaming bag of poo. I'm looking forward to reading the tweets from some of Spidey's prominent writers/artists after this thing goes live, should be high comedy...

• 3 weeks later...