UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Is everyone here completists?

magicmilner

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty selective about what I get... though there are some licenses that I try to complete, like BSG or Ghostbusters - there are others like Marvel, where I pick and choose characters that I like. Several of the box sets have been a pass and I often order 1 or 2 packs of a Marvel wave.

I also will not spend crazy money on a minimate like a Gold or Silver spidey or exclusive - if a single mate is over $10, then I'll probably pass.

I am also partial to the newer looking mates and don't really care for some of the earlier designs, like Sue Storm, Lady Deathstrike or the Thing. Also, as a general rule, I've passed on all but 1 or 2 DC mates.

I don't like buying Minimates just to fill out collections of teams or series etc. I did that with X-Men and Spider-Man, then I just bought other things almost being completist. Then I got sick of it. It's like, what's the point of owning every single character from Spider-Man? I don't even like the way they did J Jonah Jameson. Then I got lucky (or unlucky depending on how you see it) and had to sell almost all of my collection. Now I just buy whichever characters I really like, which happen to include X-Men.

I buy every new comic based character, and the majority of variants if they're a legitimate one, although the New Avengers wave really tested my resolve. I bought all the movie based ones so far except for X3, but considering how many Starks and Iron Men are in the upcoming Iron Man 2 series and exclusives, I may pick and choose. I'm definitely getting Whiplash, Justin Hammer and any other new character or version of a character, but the sheer repetition of the title characters in movie lines, both 'mate and regular action figure lines, leaves me weary in the end. I'll likely get hit with the fever when they actually show up and still buy them, but I don't feel a great deal of excitement when I see 6 different versions of movie Iron Man.

That said, I understand why they do it. Casual fans and whatnot.

If I considered myself a completist but didn't have every gold Spidey, I would be ashamed of myself.

:lol:

Less and less actually. I used to order full cases of Marvel up to about Series 8 (got a %10 discount from my comic shop) and share a set or two with friends. Certain lines still bring out the completist (and extras for customs) in me, but I tend to be a bit more selective lately with the Marvel stuff as my "want" list is rapidly shrinking. However, with the way 'mates are paired, I usually end up getting full waves anyway despite a few I had no interest in.

I am really just trying to collect all the Marvel minimates. I used to be a completest but then all these other lines started coming out and I just gave up on trying to collect them all. I just said to myself , "Do these minimates make me happy or am i just buying them to just buy them."

I still feel sour about the DC Minimates being cancelled as I was trying to be a completist with them, but I do still go for the Marvel stuff and hope they'll keep going long enough to complete a few more teams. But I guess I really can't say completist myself as some mates I just can't get myself to want. (Wolverine Through the Ages box set for example)

I have a lot of toys that are still MISB (including Minimates), and that to me (as a non-MISB collector) shows that I couldn't have wanted them too much OR I bought too much at once.

To be honest, it was running Minimates Central all on my own that "forced" completionism on me in the early days. If I didn't have it, I couldn't review it.

I just can't get myself to want. (Wolverine Through the Ages box set for example)

Agreed. The 4 most boring, civilian looks for the character possible. Blerg!

I'm trying to be close to a Marvel completionist . . . and if i ever get there, this set will be the LAST set on my list to buy.

Hmmm so theres a good mix of peeps collections on here which is good to hear

As I mentioned I only buy what I like (when I can get my hands on them) theres just some characters that just don't interest me I will however aim to have a complete spider-man minimate collection

when i first saw minimates i laughed, me and my boyfriend were walking through the shop and saw star trek, BTTF, and BSG and were just like "Lame".

Then a about two months later i saw the Civil War Box-set, and was "I Want!!!!", picked up sandman/Black suit Spidey and Eddie/Peter from SM3.

after that didn't do anything for a bout another month, then started on the Trek Mates, and i tried being a Marvel Completeist(to an extent), i knew i had no chance with gold and solver spideys, the Max statues were unlikely, and elf spidey well its a nice bit of christmas fodder but i personally hate the elf mates.

now its if i can pick up a older set i don't have for a reasonable price, yeah i'll do it. but i'm not into all the packaging, feet, body variations. if i have a version of the character i'm not going to buy another just cuz they have c3 feet or not. although the exception was darktide cuz i wanted the dvd.

for marvel its all the characters but no duplicates(unless in variant packs), for star trek i need unification spock, and for DC, its The Justice League, Green Lantern Corp(finally complete), and The batman Family. i picked up the Wave 1 T2 but only for a arnie mate.

although DST was taking the *£#@ last year. it was pasta and tuna almost every other night just so i could afford all the mates, and stay alive. well worth it though

Edited by JoeyCrypts

• 5 weeks later...

Well for me it has always been about getting what I want.... then the only comic shop near me stopped selling mates.... I resorted to getting the old TRU packs(you know, the ones with the "secret" figure). Eventually I gave up and quit collecting Minimates....years later I would find an Iron Man two pack in TRU and decided to pick it up. I started collecting again, but instead of picking up what I want, I now pick up any Marvel Minimates I can find. I order the ones I want online, but I don't buy much online, so if I find any type of Marvel mate at a store, I pick it up. I really wish normal retailers carried these things...or atleast my comic shop picked them up again :/

I'm not really a completist; I do get most of the movie 'mates and plan on getting the vehicles, but if something doesn't interest me then I won't get it. I sat out on Menace/Anti-Venom, Wolverine through the ages (though I may be tempted to get it at a con if it's like $3 or something) and various other things. I've never been a completist for most lines I've gotten and this one would be a hard one what with all the promo mates that come out.

I've been a completist on other toylines before, but it's just too time consuming/costly to do. Especially now since I'm getting a really late start with Marvel & DC minimates. Now it's just a matter of picking up the ones I find interesting, or stumble upon good deals for.