UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ice Man, or "Am I Blue...?"

rsprin

Ok so I tend to lie low but am trying to scoop up a (few) mates missing from my collection and this one has always presented a conundrum. The Ice Man from Marvel Wave 11 came in three variants; clear, frosted, and blue. The problem (for me) is the detailing is... blue. So even if it's just the "clear" version to me it still looks blue. I've even removed parts from my clear (or at least I think it's clear) (jeez do I use parenthesis enough or what) and put it on a white background and it looks... blue. Any help here?

:confused:

Pic added for confusion... Is it blue or clear?

post-99-1265424507_thumb.jpg

Edited by rsprin

If memory serves, the Blue one came form the Target Re-release line. It was Packed with the GSXM Wolverine figure.

I traded for it recently, took it out of the box and though 'Huh . . . it's not as Blue as i thought it'd be!'.

BUT - when you see them together - you CAN notice the difference. The Blue one is . . . well. . . bluer. It also has darker detailing than it's clear Wave 11 cousin.

If you can find it in a two pack with Wolverine, rather than relying on photo's of single Icemen on eBay, it's a pretty safe way to ensure you're getting the Blue variant.

Edited by Nessex

Probably the only way to be sure of which version you've got would be to find a regular wave 11 clear Iceman and to compare them side by side. BUT since it appears that clear Icemen have become hard to come by lately, looks like web photos are all you've got.

groundhog's link to the Database shows that all three of the early Icemen had blue detailing, but I'm willing to bet that yours is the blue Target variant Nessex was talking about.

Off topic: was I the only one who read the thread title and remembered

Some pretty cool puns in this thread.

But seriously, I just checked my blue Iceman, and it looks a lot like the one in your picture. Still, it's probably impossible to tell based on one small picture.

Edited by minivenom

OK all your responses blue me over! Um, roses are red violets are blue! Uh, crap, I got nothin. I did check out Minimate Database it sorta helped, unfortunately I still am not sure which I have and most of the clearly "blue" Ice Man figs are going for upwards of 35-40 bones. Ah well maybe I'll just chill on this one for a bit. Hehe, chill.

rsprin, obviously you don't have another Iceman to compare it to. BUT, if you have a Twilight Frodo, comparing to that might help. Blue Iceman is bluer than clear Frodo, but definitely not as blue as blue Frodo (which is distinctly blue, unlike Iceman). Serioulsy.

Actually, if you have a crystal clear Frodo or Invisible Woman or Dimond Emma Frost, blue Iceman will look tinted alongside any of those. Clear Iceman will match them.

Edited by Cappy

I'm not sure if this helps, but here is a comparison picture.

The blue iceman is the Target version, while the clear one is the wave 11 version.

This picture simply reminds me of the sad truth that we have a rediculously huge amount of Wolverines. Saddest thing is, that's not even all of them.

I'm not sure if this helps, but here is a comparison picture.

The blue iceman is the Target version, while the clear one is the wave 11 version.

This picture simply reminds me of the sad truth that we have a rediculously huge amount of Wolverines. Saddest thing is, that's not even all of them.

True enough Trekker 42, way too many Wolverine's.

Here is an updated pic, with all of the Wolvie's accounted for.

post-2109-1265614908_thumb.jpg

On Topic, but Off-Topic...

Does anyone else notice yellowing in their Clear Iceman, Emma, or Invisible Woman figures? Frosted Iceman too, though its less noticable on him, since he's semi-solid.

I can't tell if mine are yellowing, or if I'm just being paranoid and they always looked that way...

I can't see why the heck they would be prone to yellowing... I keep my minimates stored in sealed plastic tubs... they're not air-tight, but I can't imagine much gets in there... and I don't handle them an obscene amount... but whenever I look at them, I feel like they don't look as clear as I remeber them being when I bought them...

And followup question, if anyone else has noticed that they're prone to yellowing, has anyone found a way to prevent and/or correct it?