UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ice Man, or "Am I Blue...?"

rsprin

Could you post a picture of one of your minimates that you suspect is yellowing? I can't really help with your problem as all my clear minimates are still in their packages but, I would like to see for my own curiousity.

Alright, this picture isnt 100% great, but its good enough to talk about... I'll note that not all the colors photographed well, and I'll make notes later in the post to address this...

Alright, in this photo are, Emma Frost, My Supposedly Blue Iceman, My Clear Iceman, My Frosted Iceman, and My X-Factor Iceman, just for the sake of comparison. I didn't photograph Invisible Woman because I keep my X-Men in a different container than my Fantastic Four, and I didn't feel like digging both out.

You can really see what I'm talking about on Emma in this picture. Now Strangely... I'll note... in real life Emma's head looks relatively clear. The yellowing is mostly in her hair piece. In the photo, it kinda looks like the whole thing is yellow, but I think its just her hair showing through.

Second is my (theoretically) Blue Iceman. He's not really yellowing, but I threw him in the picture to reflect on the original topic. As you can see in the picture, he's a different color than my Clear one and also has the darker paint apps that they say the blue one should have... but oddly enough, he still isn't nearly as blue as some of the pictures I've seen of Blue Iceman on the internet. However I WILL note, that this picture doesn't do his blue justice. He's much bluer in real life than he his in this particular picture... but still not quite as blue as some of the pictures I've seen on the internet (Like at Minimate Database) If I had to guess, I'd say the inconsistancies are all in the way he's photgraphed. If I lay my blue one on a white piece of paper, alot of his blue gets washed out, and he looks clearer. If I lay him on my palm, his blue really pops against the more fleshy color of my skin, and he looks closer to the pics on minimate database. To further illustrate that point, I noticed the pics of Clear on MMD are on a very white background, and the pics of blue are on a slightly creamier off-white background. In any event, side by side with my clear Iceman, I DO see a difference. (PS. My Clear one is a definate series 11 one I bought the day the wave hit, My blue one I bought loose on ebay, so I fully admit, I have no idea what its origins really are.)

Third is my Clear Iceman. Again, he's really washed out in this pic. To further illustrate how innacurate this picture is, he looks about the same as Emma, in real life. A little bluer, but close to the same. I think most of it got washed out because he's in the center and he got the full brunt of the camera's flash.

4th is Frosty. Like I said, he appears to be yellowing a little too, but its not as visible as Emma or Clear, because the frosting masks it a little better.

5th is X-Factor, he has no problems and looks the same as he did when I bought him a couple weeks ago. Just put him in there for comparative purposes.

post-204-1265841234_thumb.jpg

On Topic, but Off-Topic...

Does anyone else notice yellowing in their Clear Iceman, Emma, or Invisible Woman figures? Frosted Iceman too, though its less noticable on him, since he's semi-solid.

I can't tell if mine are yellowing, or if I'm just being paranoid and they always looked that way...

I can't see why the heck they would be prone to yellowing... I keep my minimates stored in sealed plastic tubs... they're not air-tight, but I can't imagine much gets in there... and I don't handle them an obscene amount... but whenever I look at them, I feel like they don't look as clear as I remeber them being when I bought them...

And followup question, if anyone else has noticed that they're prone to yellowing, has anyone found a way to prevent and/or correct it?

YES! i have noticed it & wasn't sure if i was being paranoid. I wrote off Emma Frost as it being a representation of her hair being blonde and so the diamond hair was lightly yellowish. . . but then i noticed it on Iceman as well.

It has also happened to my circa 1995 Toybiz 5" Iceman figure. There seems to be somethign about the plastic/resin they have used i guess?

It's a real bummer - and i have no idea how to stop/prevent it while also keeping Iceman on display. I think i might have to start buying up iceman figures to i can have a few back-ups!

Edited by Nessex