UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ToysRus Series 5 pics. Swordsman and more!!

fwoosheyman

looks like i'll have to talk to my friend to see if they are on order yet. if so i'll have to transfer some minimates around my self (wipe out whats left at the cloest tru to me, and return them to the one half an hour north), since the tru close to me has about 8 Ult Hulk/Ironman packs and a bunch more wolverine/vault guard and spidey/electros.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, general consensus then is that the sets that are supposed to sell are peg warming everywhere? If we factored for all the sets that are bought by collectors just to spark a restock, I wonder how well the line is doing?

I'm not suggesting the line is tanking, I just think the numbers need to be worked on so we can strike a proper balance to get the obscure stuff in the hands of those who want it and still keep a healthy amount of the big name players available for the casual buyers. Otherwise, this line is going to be doomed to making good sales at TRU from all the scalpers buying up inventory to sell back to us for a profit and all of us addicts with more money than sense buying up all the remaining inventory in hopes that it will make the short pack figures appear some day.

As much as I love jumping through the hoops, I personally don't want these released until after Christmas. I'm sure DST and TRU want to hit the holiday buying season, but, me being selfish, I don't want to deal with that holiday insanity.

Way to make us feel better Storm1:08

How is it going down in SD with these? I know there's more than a few collectors down that way, are you finding them ok or is Aaron beating you to the punch?

T.

I still don't care for this TRU exclusive thing, but I'm definitely interested in that Old Man Logan set.

I'm glad we're getting Swordsman, but it would have been much better to see him packed with Songbird. I guess we're only just getting closer to Songbird?

. On top of which, they call it "Toy Hunting" for a reason. ;)

Ok, very rarely do I make my opinion on these matters vocal, but I have to say, that yes this situation fits the definition of "Toy Hunting" fairly well, however I am not a "toy hunter", I'm a "toy collector". I like to be able to find the figures I want so that I can take them out and put them with the rest of the set. Yes, some times it's okay for there to be a figure that may be rarer due to its popularity, and I'm fine with that. But having to search for weeks for one figure is ridiculous, and I feel it takes the fun out of collecting. I came into minimates because they were cool figures, and they were easy to get a hold of(excluding chases of course). I liked being able to go to the store the day they came out and pick out the sets I wanted without a whole lot of hassle. However, as of late, I have missed a bunch of sets I wanted because they were TRU exclusives, and my local TRUs were all cleared out before I had a chance to get there. I know most people would say "buy them off ebay", but as a high school senior, I don't have the hugest amount of cash, meaning I really can't afford to buy a BE/MS pack for $15+ and shipping from some scalper on ebay. Point being that I've always hated short packing, and it was the reason I stopped collecting Marvel Legends back when Toy Biz made them. Sure, they looked awesome, but it didn't matter what they looked like, since I never could find the damned things. I'm sad to see minimates going down the same path. I honestly don't have the time to go searching from store to store for something that was probably snatched up the second the case was opened, and if this is the direction that minimates plan on taking, than I can't really see myself collecting for much longer. My life is stressful enough, I don't have time to be stressing over a 2-inch piece of plastic.

TM2, this is not aimed at you, just sorta fueled by the thing you said. If your happy with chasing this stuff, good for you, but I'm afraid its not for me.

Sorry for the rant. Just speaking whats on my mind I guess. Don't really want to see another line I collect go this way. Oh well

I am totally sick of this. Especially the 'Toys R us gets all the good stuff' quote on the DST blog post.

Talk about a big Eff U to the people that have supported this line over the last 30 waves!

I am totally sick of this. Especially the 'Toys R us gets all the good stuff' quote on the DST blog post.

Talk about a big Eff U to the people that have supported this line over the last 30 waves!

The saddest part is that with regular waves or previews stuff we can always help each other out, but the one per case, single case per TRU thing means that when we do find these one per case sets that people do not have spares to send to other collectors or help out those guys overseas.

As said by one or two above it's GREAT we are getting these cool obscure characters but the whole thing is becoming too frustrating to make it worthwhile. I am on a slippery slope with minimates, I am no longer a completist due to the volume we are getting ( Does anyone else miss the days of 2-4 waves a year? - it was a simple to preorder them and cheap fun back then) and these TRU sets are just making my frustration worse.

T.

Personally I am all for more mates regardless of how I get them. I was able to get Goth Girl and I had to jump through hoops to get her. I was able to get all the exclusives through various avenues. If we only got 32 mates a year, yes our checkbook would love us more, but we would constantly be crying why haven't they made Deadpool, Vulture, or Kang yet. We may hate that we have to scavenge for these guys but at least we can get them. No one makes us buy them the moment they come out. Patience is a virtue and eventually will net you the mate you want.

I am amazed they did not try to capitalize on the Deadpool fanaticism that is out there right now. He is still fetching $20 on ebay. I am surprised also at the lack of army builder, and I am suprised at the reissue of OMLogan rather than a second new figure.

Dinobutt, your "the chase if great" might be fine for you living in the middle of arseend texas where you get to cherry pick the local store but for those of us who could go to the store every other day for months on end ( and have) and still not see the latest two( soon to be 3) waves its not endearing, so much so that I'm getting tired of it all and am considering giving up the chase totally.

Heh. I think you underestimate where I live buddy. Houston is the 4th largest city in America with almost 6 million people in the area. I have just as hard a time finding them as you. I lucked out with wave 3. I STILL haven't seen it around here, and have yet to see hide nor hair of wave 4.

No offense taken Glantern. I know this is frustrating. But my point remains. Would you rather have a shot at possibly getting these, or never get them at all? We might not have seen Swordsman til 10 years from now. Who knows if Minimates will last that long. I guess I look at it like better to know they're out there and have a chance at finding them than never getting them at all. Though I personally know a lot of people, both here but mainly at Fwoosh, that would be selfish and say if they can't find it they'd rather it not exist at all. :/ I'd just hate to see that attitude become the norm here. Yall just need to lighten up. They're toys. You'll get them eventually.

As collector you cant expect to get everything at retail. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go to eBay or an online retailer or comic shop where the price will be marked up. Its just a fact. Ive driven to hell and back looking for mates and other items I collect. sometimes its fun sometimes its frustrating and sometimes you loose. In the end its supply and demand. Ive been lucky enough to find almost everything I've been looking for lately but I've also had to go to eBay for some things (T-bolts for instance). Just the way it is.

am starting to wonder if the TRU waves will eventually cause the demise of the LCS ones. They have already gven us Elctro and now Scorpion out of Wave 30, The Iron man and Titanium from wave 32.

I was considering emailing DST about this about a few weeks ago. I have no reason at all to buy the Spiderman wave now, and will order one less pack from wave 31 and 32. IT would be a lot more logical to keep both ways of buying distinctly separate, or both will start hurting.

I wouldn't be so irritated by it if my local store wasn't operating off of the same procedure as the website. I can walk into my local TRU today and buy all the Wolverine, Battlestar Galactica, Ghost Busters, and Mini Flyers that I want, but I can't find one Marvel Minimate in the store (other than Hulk and Doom). And its not because they sold out, nor is it because that one set is clogging the peg for a restock. There aren't any here.

I shouldn't have to go on eBay and spend upwards to three or four times the retail price because TRU can't be bothered to stock it in one location.

If the website would carry them, this problem would fade away for the most part, but for whatever reason they won't carry them either.

And I understand that sometimes you have to spend more than retail price for collectibles, but when you have to do it consistently, like our international friends, then there's a problem. The difference between the two is that the international collectors know why they can't find them (powers that be can't be bothered to spring for the testing costs and the retailers don't want to foot the bill either). Those who shop exclusively from the website or from their local stores have no reason why they can't find it other than TRU don't care.

Know what? I'm sorry you're having problems. But people have mentioned this before. People have discussed this to death. And personally I'm sick of the

bitching

! ('scuse my french) Either hunt it down at TRU or pony up the cash at ebay. Those are your options. Because this TRU "dilemma" isn't going away. If anything the fact that we've got 5 waves proves that the system works. Let me repeat that. We have FIVE WAVES. At RETAIL. If they suddenly declared that there's a new super awesome wave that you can get but only if you've never heard of them before, cool. That means more people like minimates, better sales for the product, and a stronger line over all. And it's the internet, you can find anything here. We'd be fine.

Now, a few context clues. I'm not yelling. I'm not angry. I'm do not dislike you even in the slightest, nor has my opinion for your dropped. This wasn't even entirely directed at you either. I'm just sick and tired of everyone making out like hard to find MMs is a bad thing. The fact that they're out there at all makes me very very happy. On top of which, they call it "Toy Hunting" for a reason. ;)

Hmm, I don't know man. I'm of the opinion that you love your toys more if you work for them, which means more than working 9-5. Hunting for them for weeks is, for me, more rewarding. But that's not really what I'm arguing here. You should be able to go down and just buy it. Sure. But you can't. And we're not going to be able to change it. Sure, you don't have to smile when someone kicks you in the balls, but there's another way to look at it and another option: You can get kicked ion the balls to get a toy and say "^{:content:}amp;$^$#*", You can say "Hey, new toys!" You you can NOT get kicked and also not get the toy, instead resorting to beating up small children to steal what their nads fought so hard for. ;) But seeing stuff like this makes me just scratch my head.

These 2 posts my be the most ridiculous I have ever seen on this board. I don't think that a single member after first seeing Minimates for the first time thought, "Boy it sure would be fun to collect these if they were released in a somewhat limited retail setting so that I have to begin haunting my local TRU and hope that I am always the first person to the case. Although that being said if they were readily available I wouldn't be interested."

Chuck has always said that the 1 per case figures are more prevelant then the variant figure at the LCS and while by the numbers that may be true, but (I am speaking here from MY personal experience alone) I have had far less trouble getting any LCS variant then one of the 1 case TRU packs. I have been lucky enough to locate all of the TRu at TRU but there are still collectors on this board who have not gotten the Bullseye/Moonstone 2 pack. The case ratios are

fucking

skewed. Period.

I believe that the 4 per case slot should only belong to the exclusive sets and that should belong to all the Spider-Man/Wolverine/Iron Man/flavor of the month characters that sells. I'd accept the 3x slot too as an exclusive. The rest should be repacks/packaging variants. Something like:

4x HoM Spidey/updated Rhino (exclusive)

3x Iron Man/Swordsman (exclusive)

2x Armored Daredevil/Moon Knight (repack)

2x Deadpool/Old Man Logan (packaging variant)

1x Thanos/Captain Marvel (packaging variant)

I think that's officially the third time I've gotten "the most ridiculous post evah" award. I'm flattered.

You know, I honestly have to wonder when companies will start realizing Hulk doesn't sell. Not in Minimates, Not in MLs, not with anything. He just peg warms.

Question: Would this still be a problem if the entire wave was selling out and just wasn't restocking? What if you missed and LCS wave and have to get it on ebay? How is that different? Just curious.

I think that's officially the third time I've gotten "the most ridiculous post evah" award. I'm flattered.

You know, I honestly have to wonder when companies will start realizing Hulk doesn't sell. Not in Minimates, Not in MLs, not with anything. He just peg warms.

Question: Would this still be a problem if the entire wave was selling out and just wasn't restocking? What if you missed and LCS wave and have to get it on ebay? How is that different? Just curious.

There are outlets other than an LCS, to get the variants. In this case the only two ways to get them are TRU and eBay. People should not be subjected to paying double the retail price because some douchebag without a job and living with his parents can go to TRU everyday as soon as it opens and cherry pick the cases. Even someone who knows nothing about Minimates knows that if there is 4 of one 2 pack and 1 of another one the later is going to be the one to sell on eBay. I am for Minimates at retail but my problem is with the case ratios.

I'll defo be chasing down Old Man Logan and Old Man Hawkeye, i'll happily pay over the odds too.

Also, i'm glad Logan has ditched the coat, felt it spoilt the original figure.

I'll try to get the Cosmic Silver Sufer too, but i can live without.

The rest i am not interested in or have already ordered from Luke's Toy Store.

Regarding the subject of the "hunt".

I too think it sucks but accept that it's an neccessary evil if it helps push through new Minimates, who we wouldn't normally get.

Edited by Pete

I'm gonna pass on this entire wave.

At $7.50 a pack it's cheaper to order from Luke's Toy Store (after tax I would pay $8.25 at TRU, at Luke's after Shipping on good sized order I paid a little less then $7.00 a pack) so although I want House of M Spidey/Scorpion, Iron/Titanium Men, and Black Bolt/Captain Marvel it's not economical to drive around from TRU to TRU and pay more for the sets.

and the two exclusives do NOTHING for me.

Good news for other people around here who want the sets (and there must be several, someones buying up all the minimates at my TRU... or hiding them since there's only 3 packs on the pegs now) since there's one less vulture picking at the carcus this time, Good News for me since I hate shopping during the Holidays and I'm deathly afraid of getting swine flu from being in a TRU.... maybe next time the exclusives will be more interesting to me.