UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

This rain is effing horrible.

NorthRaider

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...bCategoryId=200

http://filipinonewsnetwork.com/2009/09/26/...y-lashes-luzon/

Mom and I are fairly good and dry here at home, but Sis is stranded somewhere in the next city (traffic everywhere, public transport pretty much out of reach) while word is that my brother's workplace is flooded as well. Meanwhile we're actually hearing news that the water is neck-deep in some places (I sincerely hope this is an exaggeration). Heaven only knows how everyone else in the region is doing :(

Oh jeez, this is the last thing we need right now.

We in the southeast USA can relate today. I have friends who live in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Their feeling a little under the water this week.

I've been keeping my eye on the situation via the BBC & it looks pretty bad in Manila so take care out there. I can relate to what's happening despite living in a little place in SW England . I remember getting almost drowned whilst trying to stem a torrent of water coming through the farmyard in the Summer of 2004 due to rainfall unlike I have ever seen in my entire life. Whilst I was totally unscathed I remember talking to my mother later in the day who said I'd "Been lucky" & told me to catch the main news on the BBC . These pictures are a compilation of what was happening just North of me ,watch with the safe knowledge that despite the fact that this was a resort-town at the height of the 'tourist summer' nobody was hurt.....incredible

Us folks up here in Washington State can sympathise a bit too. While our 7 months of rain hasn't started yet and folks are still fishing in the river by my house, I'm praying that the levy holds and there aren't any "voluntary" evacuations this year. Otherwise my brother in law is going to be seeing his sister and nephew alot. Best wishes to you and your family NR.

Man, that are really bad news. I heared abou it in German tv. The pictures are looking terrible. I hope you and your family and friends are doing well, NR!

BHM, that documentation looks horrible! And it's unbelievable everybody came out alive. But all the damage done is a real desaster. I am really, really glad that where I'm living, there is only a minor river and it never caused any bigger trouble. But all that reminds me of 2002 where the river Elbe in the eastern part of Germany had a devastating flood. I just looked through some of those pics and this comparison here gives a hint of how unbelievable that was. Both are satelite pics, the top on is the usual Elbe, the one on the bottom shows how the flood spread in just a few days.

However, all the best to you NR!

Thankfully our neighborhood is on high-enough ground that we don't get swamped ourselves here, though it does make it that much harder to believe we have people in the next town sitting on top of their houses right now :( The news did say it'll (hopefully) subside by Monday, though this storm still roughed things up badly in the nearby provinces. Please, let this be over with already!

Last time we had a typhoon this major the floods weren't as bad, though the winds were strong enough to make a lot of billboards and power lines go down and we were stuck without water and electricity for almost a week.

BHM: Wow, I guess I should consider us lucky we don't live near a river or shoreline. A lot of creeks and congested sewers though, meaning we still get inconvenient high water in some areas.

Thanks again guys, though I'm pretty sure our family fared relatively well compared to other places.

Edited by NorthRaider

We had a typhoon last week! But it didn't flood, at least not that I know of. The wind is frekking harsh in Hong Kong during a typhoon. I'm also lucky I live one a hill, the city areas had water at least up to your ankles, but that's nowhere near as bad as your place.

It's never fun to be caught in this sort of weather, I hope that you and your family etc are safe Northraider!

My personal flood story is from the flash floods in SE England back in 2000.

There was a lot of rain over a few days and eventually the river bank just giving up and broke just out side the town causing a flood that happened scarily quickly and without warning.

I was at work when the water rose so fast that we were trappped on the second floor of our building (The ground floor was several feet underwater) and we had to be rescued by lifeboat.

There is something very surreal/spooky about riding in a boat down a road that I'd driven down that morning. The water was deep enough to totally submerge cars and must have been 9ft deep in places.

T.

Living across the street from the bayou, my parents' house has been flooded numerous times over the years. However, never experienced a flash flood, and since we saw these things coming (from hurricanes or tropical storms), we were always away when it happened.

UPDATE: Everyone's safe and sound so far, though my brother might have to go back to the hospital real soon to continue his shifts. Thankfully the waters have finally gone down, though there are still a lot of places knee-deep in mud and stuff. And according to the national weather agency there's a southwest monsoon building up out in the Pacific and headed our way. Oh dear, please, enough.

http://ondoy.tumblr.com/page (Warning: Strong language)

This site has been an oddly cathartic read for everybody whose lives have been turned upside down by the storm so far. While my neighborhood wasn't quite 15 feet underwater, we haven't left the house in about 3 days so the feeling of helplessness is still there.

This quote is kinda creepy to read.

Edited by NorthRaider

Strangely enough......had a call from an Aussie friend today who was complaining about the heat in Queensland. He moved the conversation on to 'the floods in Manilla' which despite being some way away..... is far closer to him. I found myself saying "yeah I know people out that way....it's terrible "

You're in our thoughts NR. :)

Thanks again for the kind regards guys.

This time around the second wave of storms didn't hit Manila as badly, though now it's a whole 'nother story for Cagayan Valley :( School has been out for about a whole week now, and frankly I'm not sure the academic year will ever recover. The volunteerism around here however is simply a sight to behold, really brought back a lot of people's confidence :)

On that note, I now extend my prayers to the victims of the recent tsunami, and everybody in Indonesia and Italy who suffered those nasty earthquakes... my goodness, Mother Nature must really be in an awful state right now :ermm: