UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I jumped the bandwagon 20 years too late!

NorthRaider

I have never seen the 'Empire Strikes Back' & only the first half of 'Thelma & Louise'

You have never seen the best Star Wars movie ever made.

No way dude, A New Hope was the best Star Wars movie! :starwars:

I had the benefit of seeing Alien for my first time during a 20th (25th?) anniversary screening. Best way to do it IMO. It just raises the tension to a whole new level. Prior to that I had only known Sigourney Weaver from the Ghostbusters movies. Alien really changed the way I saw her. :)

As for excellent movies I haven't seen yet: (I'll try to separate the 'cult' from the 'classic')

-A lot of Hitchcock. Not even the big ones, North by Northwest, Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo, Dial M. etc.

-Several Kubricks. I haven't seen Barry Lyndon (although I own it) or anything before 2001: A Space Odyssey. Strangelove is high on my list.

-Woody Allen stuff.

-The African Queen

-Jaws

-Buckaroo Banzai

-Midnight Cowboy

-Flash Gordon

-Donnie Darko (I bought this one and it sat on my shelf for months. It finally got to the top of the pile, but when I opened it there was no DVD in the case.)

-Tron (I have some toys, does that count?)

-Scarface

These I own, but haven't watched yet:

-Casablanca

-Gone with the Wind

-Plan 9 From Outer Space

-Evil Dead/Army of Darkness

-The Hidden Fortress (Kurosawa film that Lucas allegedly 'borrowed from' for Star Wars)

Other notes:

-'Man with No Name'/Dollars films are worth seeking out.

-Love both Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven.

-The problem with Soylent Green is,

if you know the quote, you know the end of the movie. After finishing it, all I could think was "That was it?"

-It's good to see that 'Brazil', 'Big Lebowski', and 'Raising Arizona' haven't appeared on anyone's list yet. :)

-I fell asleep my first time watching 2001 but have grown to appreciate it with complete viewings.

-It's good to see that 'Brazil', 'Big Lebowski', and 'Raising Arizona' haven't appeared on anyone's list yet. :)

Agreed! Of the ones you list Ivan, I would humbly suggest going with Plan 9 first.

Here is the opening scene, based only on the testimony of the miserable souls who survived this terrifying film.

Another great Ed Wood movie is "Orgy of the Dead," which is

. Edited by karamazov80

Agreed! Of the ones you list Ivan, I would humbly suggest going with Plan 9 first.

So it shall be done. It'll be first on my list once I finish the BSG 4.5 DVDs.

I picked up this Ed Wood box set a couple DeepDiscount sales ago and I thought it would be all the 'Ed Wood'y goodness I would ever need. It appears I'm wrong because 'Orgy of the Dead' isn't included. Curious, 'Orgy of the Dead' sounds like a movie I accidentally saw on Pay-Per-View one night.

Oh. My. Word.

Blade Runner is just breathtaking. And boy was I lucky I got the Final Cut!

And now I've become part of the legion of people who desperately wants Minimates of these. :(

(Reading some of the older Blade Runner threads, I have to say I actually liked the soundtrack. Except for all the saxophone bits, I think they're what contributed to making the music sound so dated. Or maybe it's just that I never really liked saxophone music... Wow, I'm such a soundtrack nerd.)

Next on my list: Alien! Schindler's List! Dark City! Er... THIS THREAD!

I'll actually have to put some thought into my list, as I've seen waay too many movies :lol: My wife on the other hand hasn't seen ET <_<

Oh, and BHM, why are you Brit's such snobs about adult comic book reading?

And boy was I lucky I got the Final Cut!

Is the theatrical cut/studio edit actually available these days? I imagine you'd have to dig up a VHS copy from the '80s.

I would love to get the theatrical cut of The Abyss on DVD -- all the nonsense Cameron tacked back onto his director's cut really ruined the movie for me. I had hope when they announced they were releasing the "un-Special Edition" Star Wars trilogy a few years back, but then I heard Lucasfilm didn't use their restored print, just some crappy disintegrating original, as is, green Vader and all :blink:

Donster, adult comic book reading still seems pretty looked down on in North America too, outside of our fanboy bubble. Even when you get mainstream news articles about "graphic novels," the tone always seems to be really defensive, ie. "no really, it's not childish and lame anymore!" Japan's the only place I can think of where it's seen as just another acceptable form of entertainment, alongside film, TV, video games, etc.

Oh, and BHM, why are you Brit's such snobs about adult comic book reading?

It's just a cultural difference I suppose but comics were generally something you grew out of here & the early 60's Batman TV show didn't help either ! I have about 2 friends who can relate to my love of comics but even they can't get their heads round Minimates. Things have changed somewhat over the years & there is a huge following for comics of all types & 2000AD can be thanked for that although I wasn't a huge fan .

It's sad I suppose that it has taken me a lifetime to find a place where I can talk to kindred souls about comics & latterly toys without feeling odd.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Is the theatrical cut/studio edit actually available these days? I imagine you'd have to dig up a VHS copy from the '80s.

the final cut dvd has three different versions including the theatrical release with deckards voice over

after years of "missing" that versions voice over bits after watching it again I find the final cut is the one to watch IMHO

-The problem with Soylent Green is,

if you know the quote, you know the end of the movie. After finishing it, all I could think was "That was it?"

Happens with a lot of movies. My mum said she was really upset with the ending of Planet of The Apes . . . but anyone born after 1968 was bombarded with parodies of the films ending - and so there was no/very little surprise left. I liked the film a lot, but i didn't feel shocked the way my mum did.

I guess the same thing will happen to people who watch The Sixth Sense or Fight Club for the first time 10 years from now . . . :P

Oh, and to keep this a bit more 'on topic' - i have never sat all the way through Gone With The Wind or watched Citizen Kane.

I struggled with both those movies Nessex & although I accept they are brilliant movies they do not rank that highly amongst my favourites. Bearing in mind their individual 'American' stories I probably don't relate to them in the same way an American would. I don't mean that in any derogatory fashion ..... my knowledge of the ACW & Randolph Hearst is pretty comprehensive but neither story is 'in my blood'.... as 'Lawrence of Arabia' would be for example.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I struggled with both those movies Nessex & although I accept they are brilliant movies they do not rank that highly amongst my favourites. Bearing in mind their individual 'American' stories I probably don't relate to them in the same way an American would. I don't mean that in any derogatory fashion ..... my knowledge of the ACW & Randolph Hearst is pretty comprehensive but neither story is 'in my blood' as 'Lawrence of Arabia' would be for example.

Honestly, I kind of felt the same way when I saw that AFI 100 list TM2 Dinobot posted. I barely recognized half of the movies in that list, and the movies I did know I felt might not have been in the same league as the others... I mean, "E.T." was cute, and ironic as it sounds I felt "Titanic" would have been much more tolerable without the Jack/Rose subplot (:lol:)

But that's the thing though, that list reflected what the American Film Institute felt were the movies most people should watch. Perhaps the standards that dictate what's a "must-see" really does vary from culture to culture. For example, around here it's "ideal" for everyone to have experienced watching at least ONE movie by Lino Brocka and/or Ishmael Bernal. And after seeing one of Brocka's movies with my brother a few weeks ago, at least I could understand why.

I struggled with both those movies Nessex & although I accept they are brilliant movies they do not rank that highly amongst my favourites. Bearing in mind their individual 'American' stories I probably don't relate to them in the same way an American would. I don't mean that in any derogatory fashion ..... my knowledge of the ACW & Randolph Hearst is pretty comprehensive but neither story is 'in my blood'.... as 'Lawrence of Arabia' would be for example.

Yeah - i can understand that. As Australian, i don't have much choice but to relate to American films. Or rather, foreign films in general. Australia doesn't have a huge cinematic output.

I can't say i 'related' to Fight Club too much - but there have still been a lot of films from the overseas where i felt a real empathy toward or bond with the characters.

If you've never seen 'The Overlanders' starring Chips Rafferty then you've not missed a great movie per se but it is definitely a slice of Australian history set during WW2 that you shouldn't miss. B & W it may be but the scenery is stunning having been filmed in 1946. Crocodile Dundee despite the fact that its a complete cliche of Australia (& New York for that matter)...... & nonsense.....was the defining moment in my life to go & see Oz & NY for myself,I love both.

I had never seen Mad Max until about a year ago! :(

Edited by buttheadsmate

Sigourney's T-shirt is quite er..um..er..chest-bursting at the end of the movie also. :whistling:

Just ran across this and was reminded of this thread

BBB1.jpg

Kind of strange looking, but not a bad idea for a statue.