UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I've been following this movie since about '07 and not much has come out ever since but on Wikipedia today it looks as though an image from the film has been posted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Avatar_o...ial_release.jpg

Have you heard of this movie, cuz a lot of people have not...and its budget is like over $300 million dollars...its supposed to revolutionize 3D imagery...Considering the little existing information what do you think about the movie and do you think it will change 3D?

note: James Cameron is going to be screening Avatar footage at Comic-Con and it looks like banners were posted around the convention center which show the first images of the Navi aliens in Avatar. Take a look:post-2101-1247693451_thumb.jpg

Edited by entertheninja!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did anyone see footage at comic con? Cuz it was a big deal...the AVATAR website is up: avatarmovie.com

thats all the news so far oh and the toys came which present augmented reality in which you can interact with the figure (or the figures with each other) via webcam and some sort RFID chip/barcode heres the video:

Edited by entertheninja!

the toys came which present augmented reality in which you can interact with the figure (or the figures with each other) via webcam and some sort RFID chip/barcode heres the video:

that... is the craziest damn thing i've seen in my life.

the toys came which present augmented reality in which you can interact with the figure (or the figures with each other) via webcam and some sort RFID chip/barcode heres the video:

Awesome no?

Awesome no?

Looks like Cameron is out to blow our minds again. How is it a guys who makes movies once or twice a decade is always able to jump so far ahead of the curve? This word gets thrown around a lot but James Cameron may be a genius. Or Avatar could actually be dog shit.

Awesome no?

in the most terrifying way imaginable, yes.

That's just insane.

It's like Cameron's trying to create a new Blade Runner, only merchandise-driven and stuff. I agree it's pretty effing cool... but

I'm not sure how it actually correlates to the movie... probably too soon to tell anyway

:blush:

Cameron had previously stated that he wants the toys at a normal price just like normal action figures so I guess to help the sales by making them more available. He's not making action figures obsolete I think just giving them a much needed upgrade...just like what he's doing to cinema. He's even doing a free 15 minute screening at most digital theatres around the world...just to give us a taste. This movie is going to change cinema for the better. Not a complete 360 but still what he's doing hasn't been seen before...does anyone else think this will be as epic as he says it will be?

What's different about this movie that sets it apart from everything else?

The way it's shot is what sets it apart which is stereoscopic cameras that is kind of just like a normal camera upgrade except that it makes the whole panoramic angle appear in 3-D (most 3-D movies only have a certain area shot in 3-D). He created a whole alien language used by the NaVis which are the aliens in the movie. Also he's using motion capture with the stereoscopic cameras which make it appear 3-D and real not like most CG effects in movies which show a CG object with the appearance of 3-D not actually three dimensional computer generated effects. Holy Crap I just read what I wrote...Sweet

Awesome no?

Looks like Cameron is out to blow our minds again. How is it a guys who makes movies once or twice a decade is always able to jump so far ahead of the curve? This word gets thrown around a lot but James Cameron may be a genius. Or Avatar could actually be dog shit.

He spends the time absent honing his skills=) he's gonna do it at the end of Vatar with a climatic battle sequence at the en that's in 3-D...it'll blow us out of the water for sure

Stuff...does anyone else think this will be as epic as he says it will be?

Epic like Waterworld! Not to Poo Poo this whole thing but I will wait till I see the movie to get super excited with the whole thing. I will say the 3D toy thing is amazing.

Stuff...does anyone else think this will be as epic as he says it will be?

Epic like Waterworld! Not to Poo Poo this whole thing but I will wait till I see the movie to get super excited with the whole thing. I will say the 3D toy thing is amazing.

Waterworld didn't have James Camerons direction and you know James Camerons the man...who just convinced Peter Jackson to turn his Lord Of The Rings trilogy into 3-D! He also talked about the possiblility of making Titanic "dimensionalized". He spoke about possible projects for him including Battle Angel and The Dive and even of an Avatar sequel stating that he'll only make a sequel if Avatar tanks...which in my opinion is a smart decision considering the fact that a great movie (generally not just avatar) shouldn't be followed by a mediocre sequel...just think of Predator or Alien or even Rocky and The Godfather

Edited by entertheninja!

Hate to double post but more news about 'Avatar Day' on August 21st (quote from popzarro.com)

Great news for folks trying to find out more about James Cameron's upcoming film Avatar. August 21 will bring about the debut of the film’s trailer all over the world.

The trailer will be presented in all formats, including IMAX 3-D, IMAX, digital 3-D, digital, and 35mm film formats. Some select theaters will show extended footage prepared by James himself, and the trailer will appear online as well.

There's even more exciting info after the jump....

In addition to the film trailer on the 21st, Ubisoft will unveil the trailer for their videogame adaptation of Avatar, and Mattel will reveal the action figures for the film’s Avatar and alien Na’vi characters.

Four years in the making, AVATAR will take folks to a spectacular new world beyond imagination, where a reluctant hero embarks on a journey of redemption, discovery and unexpected love, as he leads a heroic battle to save a civilization.

After hearing about all of that, and seeing a picture of it, the movie definitely has my attention. I've been a fan of most of Cameron's work, so I'm sure this film won't disappoint!

• 4 months later...

I just got home from watching Avatar.

BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

When the TV spots had sentences in them about seeing the movie that changes movies forever I took it with a grain of salt but that is exactly what Cameron has done. Avatar marks the age of new cinema. There is more cg in this movie than any other 3 movies that have come out this year and all of it is breath taking. I watched it in3D and then went back and watched a bit of it in 2D (you gotta love digital projection) both were great but if you have the chance to see it in 3D do so. I am probably going to see it again tomorrow and there really are not enough superlatives to adequately describe how beautiful Avatar is. Cameron created another world completely and has raised visual effects to a level that will not soon be met by anyone else.

Edited by minimadman

I watched Cameron on Conan the other night and he was talking about having to invent the technology to make the CG look like it did. That statement alone sold me on this. If you're going to spend years just on designing tech to make what you need it's going to show.

My only regret is that my eyes have independent vision and I can't focus them together to see in 3D. I haven't been this disappointed about that since Jaws 3D. :(

Edited by groundhog7s