UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Universe Classics

Well, it's a Blackest Night/Brightest Day wave, and male Dove was dead during it (still is, AFAIK).

And being a BN/BD wave was why I picked it up. I'm just really disappointed that they sculpted his hands to hold a staff of sorts (his scythe), and IIRC, he had it in promo shots, but there was nothing in the packages but the body parts. :confused:

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They announced Nekron's lack of staff a while ago, and people on other toy boards have been going nuts about it for awhile now. I personally don't see why it's such a big deal, but then I'm also not planning on building him anyway; I bought the three I wanted from this wave (Hawk, Dove, and Reverse Flash) loose on eBay a few weeks ago. Good thing, too, since I don't think this wave will be shipping around here any time soon, as every store is packed with Blackest Night and Super Friends (what an odd combination).

I was surprised to find Sinestro & WL Flash at one Target, and the entire wave at another.

I didn't know about the lack of scythe until getting him, because the only boards I visit are here & TransformersWorld2005. And I don't even go into the non-Transformers threads there anymore. So if you guys aren't talking about it in this thread, I don't hear it. :confused:

And, it's a big deal because it'd be like Hal Jordan without his ring. Captain America without his shield. Kinda makes the character. To me at least. I haven't seen him in much, but I've never seen him without it.

Were the other people talking about suitable substitutes? Maybe the DC Direct one (which probably is already butt-@$$ expensive as is)?

Speaking of DCD...I was quite unhappy with the puny DCUC Mongul, so I managed to snag the DCD BN one off eBay for a great price (about retail after shipping!). He's not as articulated, but he still fits nicely, IMO:

IMAG0441.jpg

(Wow, dusty shelves are dusty... :sweat: )

Edited by TENIME_art

I was surprised to find Sinestro & WL Flash at one Target, and the entire wave at another.

I didn't know about the lack of scythe until getting him, because the only boards I visit are here & TransformersWorld2005. And I don't even go into the non-Transformers threads there anymore. So if you guys aren't talking about it in this thread, I don't hear it. :confused:

And, it's a big deal because it'd be like Hal Jordan without his ring. Captain America without his shield. Kinda makes the character. To me at least. I haven't seen him in much, but I've never seen him without it.

Were the other people talking about suitable substitutes? Maybe the DC Direct one (which probably is already butt-@$$ expensive as is)?

Yeah, I try not to assume that everybody stays up on that news... this is the only forum that I regularly post on, but I do lurk on Fwoosh and AFI on occasion. Most people there had the same reaction about the scythe as you did, Tenime. It doesn't bother me only because I don't care about him and don't plan to build him. :biggrin: But, yeah, if I was, then it would. Like if Terrax didn't have his axe.

I've seen at least one person has used the scythe that came with Scarecrow in the old DCSH line (the one that predated DCUC). I thought it looked pretty good. That figure used to be really easy to find, but I've got no idea about it now, I'm afraid.

I'm not a DCU collector by any means, but to say it isn't a big deal that Nekron doesn't have his staff did amuse me pop.

Isn't that is entire power source? Also, if the guy's hand has been specifically sculpted to be holding a staff, he is going to look pretty silly without it.

When he appeared in Blackest Night, that was a huge character redesign, powers and appearance. This version of Nekron, has therefore really never appeared without that staff (lantern attached).

EDIT - just seen your justification, selfish meanie :tongue:

Selfish meanie? Would a selfish meanie tell you that Batman Legacy series one is on clearance at K-Mart? That means you've got a chance to get Catman (one of the very best Mattel DC figures, IMHO), that snazzy black costume Batgirl, and (if you're really lucky) Earth 2 Batman with Batmite at a bargain price!

I recently moved and, somewhat annoyingly, the closest store at hand for a toy fix is a K-Mart. Listen to me, I sound like the nearest TRU is hour away. It's ten minutes. Anyway, I've been waiting for K-Mart to mark down those stupid Captain America 3-packs with the Red Guardian for six months, so I occasionally stop in to see if they've gotten their heads out of their @$$es (they haven't).

I hit a few K-Marts until I found a GA Batman w/Bat-Mite figure and then I was done. OK, has anyone heard if in fact it is Jay Garrick Flash and Metron on the 16th? I'm curious if these two count towards the subscription cost? Going on a little vacation on Sunday and want to make sure I don't miss out. I assume and I'm sorry if you've answered this. I don't do anything, I just make sure the cash is in my account and pray for the best? Regardless I'm leaving $80 in there to cover things. Hopefully this club doesn't disappoint me as much as the All Star line up is so far.

Got the DCD Scar & Black Lantern Terra, and, just like Mongul, they both fit in quite nicely!

IMAG0451.jpg

I'm probably gonna try and fill out my shelf with DCD figs, since it doesn't appear that the Four Horsemen are gonna be doing it for me anytime soon (one new character in three waves of retreads - and I'm gonna hafta get the DCD Larfleeze anyways for Glomulus...kinda like how I'm getting Nekron for his scythe... <_<).

Your post was the first I'd heard of this. There hasn't been anything official from Mattel that I see, but it looks like wave 1 will consist of NuDC Superman, Batman, Red Robin, and Superboy Prime. I'm happy that Red Robin's still coming, because he's the one I most wanted, but I don't think this is particularly good news. If we're going back to the pre-DCUC days of only Superman and Batman figures at retail, that would be a HUGE step backwards in my eyes. I would bet that Larfleez, at least, gets put into the sub.

EDIT: From BBTS, here's what wave one looks like:

MAT13586.jpg

Edited by hellpop

At first i was pretty ticked; then i realized i have DCD Larfleeze, who is vastly superior in my eyes, and Flashpoint Plas is absolute bullsh*t. So, this really doesn't affect me. Unless 'Fleeze goes to the sub. THEN i'll be mad.

That Batman is gorgeous. I can't believe i like it, being New52, but the head, cape, sculpted details, and paint look amazing. Give him black trunks and he'll take Arkham City's place as my default.

I do however hate the rest of the cancellations. Flash was really, really cool, and new Batgirl and Hawkman were intriguing. Shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so, for those that haven't seen it, there's been some snags with DC 6" figures:

-The first sub figure was pushed back a month and won't ship 'till May. Personally, I think this is a good thing for those of us that owe taxes. <_<

-DC All-Stars... no one knows what's going on. This is from AFI's monthly Q&A

Q4. So what is the deal now with the retail DC All Stars line? Most retailers canceled previous orders and set up a new solicitation for the re-worked wave 1, but aren’t taking pre-orders for the cancelled? re-worked? Series 2 and 3.

A4. We have an announcement coming shortly, but due to the order cancellation, word has gotten out faster than we can get this announcement up. The All Star concept was a good idea but executed Band-Aid style. We’ve decided to hold tight until we can create the right line with the right packaging, etc. … For now, we’re going to finish up DC Universe with one last wave.

What does that mean, exactly? That All-Stars isn't happening at all, and that there's going to be one last DCUC wave? Or that the resolicited DCAS wave 1 is the last wave at retail for the foreseeable future? Things are obviously very up in the air, but we do know that the All-Stars cancellation "came about as part of the ordering process", most likely meaning that retailers weren't on-board. At this point it doesn't look like there will be new 6" DC product in stores until the end of the year, if at all. :sad:

-As for Larfleez, they hope to find a spot for him. I would expect him to turn up in either the hypothetical Wave 21 or as part of the sub, this year or next.

Matty's DC lines just got worse today. Here's the news they released.

http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78074

- Young Justice 4" and 6" figures are done at retail. They said it's possible we'll see more on the Matty website in the future. Miss Martian, we never knew ye.

- DCUC is done at retail as of this year. They said there will be one more wave of 4 this year. They do not say who will be in that wave (or if that "one more wave" means a total of 2 all-star waves or if it's a one-and-done deal), but apparently Larfleeze isn't one of them, since they're looking for a home for him. They said that all previously-revealed figures have been tooled, so they will be looking for a way to release them outside of retail.

- 2013 will see a relaunch of their 6" DC figures, with "complimentary" figures released at retail and on Matty, so that we "can complete our collections." (Whatever that means.)

Basically they ran all their DC lines into the ground. Good job! I hate being dependent on these morons for my DC fix.

Young Justice was always a bit of a reach. JLU (the figures, that is) became a cult hit among collectors because it filled the need for a broad representation from around the DCU, and fairly cheaply at that. But Young Justice... well, there have just been so many figures of these characters in so many scales and designs now that the average DC fan wasn't very interested. Not to mention that the 4" figures were kinda ugly, and the 6" ones that might have appealed to a non-YJ fan (Miss Martian, jeans and t-shirt Superboy) weren't among the first offerings.

DCUC... well, I feared that waves 17 and 18 would be the beginning of the end, and it looks like that's the case. Major misfires there. I think letting DCUC slowly die and relaunching the brand next year is the way to go; it's just too bad that Mattel did all this stuff somewhat publicly; they look disorganized. Anyway, Mattel has done such a great job covering the breadth of the DCU that I really don't feel like I'm missing much; finish the Metal Men and the Doom Patrol and give me a Helena Wayne Huntress and I'll be good.

I want more Lanterns. :confused:

The DCD ones are more expensive & harder to track down, not as articulated, and because of that, harder to display. :sad:

Plus, I really love the Four Horsemen sculpting.

I enjoy the Four Horsemen when the one guy isn't sculpting heads. I don't know which of the four he is, nor does it matter, but ALL of his heads look the same and WAY too Kirby-inspired. Omac and Kamandi are okay. New Superboy Prime, new Superman, Jay Garrick, both Starmen, and SEVERAL others all look like exactly the same guy.

It's really annoying.