UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Going to Minimate country

Bob Harris

I was planing that for quite a year now and since a month it is official: I'm going to Minimateland, aka USA!

I'll gladly study for a semester abroad in New York from mid August to January, maybe February. If everything turns out as I hope it will, I'll study until mid December and after Chrsitmas and New Year I'll be able to visit some other places in the US (a friend of mine lives in Chicago, so that would be a nice start) until my visa expires. Right now I am in the total stress of organizing the whole trip (rent a room, get all needed forms, get my visa, book a flight, etc.)

However as far as this trip is realted to this very place here, I'm really looking forwad to have the pain pleasure to go and check my local TRU for upcoming waves, order from AFX without paying an unbelievable amount of money for international shipping or even find a cool LCS where I'll finally buy my Deadpool mate! This will be awesome.

Since I really want the Ares and the Iron Patriot 4-packs released at SDCC, I was wondering what you fellow US 'versers might suggest: do you think those packs will be available afterwards - through AFX for instance - or should I preorder those sets right now? The latter would mean that I'd kindly ask someone to do so for me, since I don't have an address in NY yet.

Oh, and any other suggestions on anything else are very welcome.

Awesome news, Bob. If I were you, I wouldn't bother pre-ordering the SDCC 'Mates as I feel they will be pretty easy to obtain after the fact, though some seem to be more "risk averse" than I am in this sense.

What awesome news. Maybe you'll get a chance to meet some board members when you're here.

If you plan on getting more than just a set, i'd recommend the pre-order. if you're just getting the one set, I'd go for afterwards. At worst, if they sell out, I'm sure someone around here would have one. Or, nails-against-a-chalklboard worst, there'll be eBay.

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and the meet-and-greet-opportunities! ;)

The way I see it, meeting Espo sounds pretty easy. Yay! And I'd love to meet some of you as well, but I guess that won't work since - I read it on the internet so it must be true - distances in the USA seem to be a little greater than in Germany.

Thanks for offering the beer TBT and the "invitation" to Texas as well TM2. (Althought I might follow Karamazov's advise... :blink:)

Regarding those 4-packs (both Dark Avengers) I'll just wait and see.

And I keep you folks updated when and where you can buy the tour shirts!

Congrats on your future trip, Bob! :) I've only been to the States twice myself (last time was in 2002 while visiting some relatives, all in California) and I can attest that the place or more or less amiable. Then again, maybe judging a whole country based on one teenager's assessment of California might not exactly apply ;)

I spent a week in NYC in 1989, by myself initially ;) , & consider it one of the most fantastic experiences of my life....as you will Bob. Considering '911' & it's dramatic effect for everybody my deepest regret is that I ashamedly never remember the Twin Towers despite the fact that I must have passed them numerous times during that week. As for California ? I went to SD last year expecting LA & was pleasantly surprised. Despite the fact that I was staying in a pretty ....er..um....ordinary hotel in a 'quaint :( ' area of town I never had any hassle even though I was walking most everywhere :ohmy:

The trouble began when I met TBT & Shanester! :P

TBT ,it must be said was a fine host & knows SD very,very well. I specifically emphasise that last point ......meeting & enjoying the company of friends is the factor that makes any place fondly memorable.

After years of waiting... this fall seems a good time to visit Germany .

You're welcome! Well, first I was thinking about studying in England, but then I thought there'd always be the possibility to meet a BigHorridMuggins, so I changed my mind.

Congrats on your future trip, Bob! :) I've only been to the States twice myself (last time was in 2002 while visiting some relatives, all in California) and I can attest that the place or more or less amiable. Then again, maybe judging a whole country based on one teenager's assessment of California might not exactly apply ;)

Thanks North! I've been to the States twice as well - once as an exchange student when I was 17 (Charlotte, NC) and then later in 1999 as a tourist in Seattly, WA. I really enjoyed both trips, but this time will be completely different, since I'll actually gonna live there for half a year.

I spent a week in NYC in 1989, by myself initially ;) , & consider it one of the most fantastic experiences of my life....as you will Bob.

Thanks a lot, BHM!

The trouble began when I met TBT & Shanester! :P

TBT ,it must be said was a fine host & knows SD very,very well. I specifically emphasise that last point ......meeting & enjoying the company of friends is the factor that makes any place fondly memorable.

So you say Shanster was the real troublemaker!?! :ohmy:

• 7 months later...

I'm back in good, ol' Germany. As much as I enjoy seeing all my friends and family again, I do miss NY, since I really fell in love with that city. It was a wonderful trip and I enjoyed every minute during that last half a year - well, I did not enjoy the half hour I did spend in Staten Island since it was the only half an hour I was actually bored... Anyways, I loved all the little differences and even enjoyed the little problems I had to face since sometimes things work in a different way on the two sides of the big water. Studying for a whole semester abroad was quite an experience, but I also loved to live in my little appartment with four other people from around the world. You US people have an extraordinary little country - although a lot of you folks don't consider NY being "real" America as I learned. But on the other hand, what is "real", right?

However, it was a great time and that's about all I wanted to say.

:D

I watched the trailer for some movie coming up soon - "Training Day", but not Training Day, but by the same guy who did Training Day, but not in LA, but in Brooklyn - explaining that this is the most evil and dangerous place one could be at. I really enjoyed the time I spent in Brooklyn. I mean, of course, it depends very much where you are, since even Brooklyn is frakking big, but I don't think it's that bad. I was living in the Washington Heights, far up in the North of Manhattan, a Puerto Rican neighborhood on the border to the (evil) Bronx, so I wasn't living in the upper class fancy-schmancy part of Manhattan and had a pretty good taste of what it "really is" to live in that city. I guess.

And yes, I enjoyed it enough to plan to go back there. Sooner or later. I met a lot of nice people there and want to see them again. And my girlfriend wants to see NY, too. So there are few reasons to go there. But I also like to see more of your country.

Yeah, I know it's not all evil (Brooklyn), but we were specifically going to the worst parts. That week I saw my first drug deal, I saw a guy peeing at the bottom of the stairs to his apartment building in front of me, storefronts and apartment doors that were covered (literally) in bullet holes, went into apartment buildings that smelled like crack (from top floor to bottom), heard gun shots throughout the day and night and, most bizarre of all, heard an ice cream truck that drove around every night from around midnight to 3 am (we assumed they weren't selling ice cream). My wife had the pleasure of stepping into an elevator that had about an inch of urine standing on the floor. And there were some apartments that were in shambles inside (like walls that were to the studs) or had roaches running around on children (for real). Also, outside the market we had to shop at a woman had left her baby in the trash a week or two before we got there. It was all very, very sad to see. Of course, not all of Brooklyn was like that, but a fair share of it was that we saw. And no, I don't recommend you go to that part if you return-your girlfriend might not be impressed.

Yeah, I know it's not all evil (Brooklyn), but we were specifically going to the worst parts. That week I saw my first drug deal, I saw a guy peeing at the bottom of the stairs to his apartment building in front of me, storefronts and apartment doors that were covered (literally) in bullet holes, went into apartment buildings that smelled like crack (from top floor to bottom), heard gun shots throughout the day and night and, most bizarre of all, heard an ice cream truck that drove around every night from around midnight to 3 am (we assumed they weren't selling ice cream). My wife had the pleasure of stepping into an elevator that had about an inch of urine standing on the floor. And there were some apartments that were in shambles inside (like walls that were to the studs) or had roaches running around on children (for real). Also, outside the market we had to shop at a woman had left her baby in the trash a week or two before we got there. It was all very, very sad to see. Of course, not all of Brooklyn was like that, but a fair share of it was that we saw. And no, I don't recommend you go to that part if you return-your girlfriend might not be impressed.

Suena como partes de Tejas y Mexico.

Good to have you back safe, Bob.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Hey cool!

You need to get Bob's world tour t-shirts!

I doubt you'll get as far over as Portland but if so the first beer's on me :)

T.

Wait a tick! T you live in Portland as well? Port ORE EEE GUN? I knew something smelled funny!!! Oh, and yes stay away from Texas.