UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

older/earlier 'mates versus newer, re-tooled/updated 'mates: pros and cons...

velvet

I think that perhaps the early Minimates were too simplistic in terms of sculpted pieces but find now that some have far too many pieces to simply put in a pocket or on a desk for fear that parts will fall off or get lost. I don't count the modern Cylons in this as they simply were not going to work as a standard Minimate body.

However I think that the Iron Monger is perhaps my favourite figure ever *because* of the size of the figure. He just conveys every aspect of the suit design in such a small scale and it completely works.

I'd say that generally the re-released version of the character replaces the old but the only 'mate I've wanted a replacment of was Sentry, I'm not sure why though and now that we are getting him in the DA set I dont think theres anyone that I need replaced.

(cue emoticom)

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

And if you notice, the bananas use larger parts than normal size emoticons.

In fact, I remember when bananas didn't have added accessories like arms or legs.

heh-heh! dancin' 'nanners!

i'm really enjoying reading what everyone has to say on this thread. good stuff!

i'm even reconsidering some of my own thoughts about some of those earlier 'mates due to the well-considered musings of my fellow forum members here...

Edited by velvet

I'd say that generally the re-released version of the character replaces the old but the only 'mate I've wanted a replacment of was Sentry, I'm not sure why though and now that we are getting him in the DA set I dont think theres anyone that I need replaced.

I think out of all of the first 20 waves or so, the Sentry needed an update the most since the original's costume is messed up and is missing part of his belt. Well, I suppose there's an argument that the first Mary Jane deserves an update more since she's just all messed up.

I think out of all of the first 20 waves or so, the Sentry needed an update the most

I would go with Juggernaut myself (needs power house piece and "big crotch"), followed by Quicksilver (needs better face and hairpiece; also needs a green variant), and then Cable (needs a complete overhaul).

i think juggernaught and rhino need a powerhouse upgrade. the newer greengoblin was way more detailed but lacked some of the originals qualities like the pumpkin bomb and the clown boots. the first ghostrider was kinda flimsy and the paint looked like a sticker the second one was better but i think the new champion one looks like the best. the first venom was pretty good but to skinny i think the wave 24 one was the absolute best eddie venom.

these are some of my thougthts on the matter

I always have and always will be a hater of the powerhouse chests, but I know that they will never go away. I'd take wave 1 Hulk's torso over any other Hulk any day. The worst of the powerhouse chests are those used on normal sized heroes, as someone else mentioned. In a perfect world, we could have 2.5" mates of Hulk, Juggernaut, etc... to differentiate the sizes rather than to put an extra piece on the torso that usually limits the arm movement.

As a collector since the 3" days, I find that I actually like most of the newer mates better than the older ones. I do prefer painted masks over the new FHS style, but for some reason figures like Union Jack and Batman don't look out of proportion to me. I wonder if it's just because we were so used to old style Spidey.

Not too big a fan of the sculpted Thanos hands, either, but other than that I think he looks great. If only I had an old style Thanos to swap hands with when this one comes out. I like the more detailed paint apps, just not the unnecessary sculpting.

I have to say, that I really don't like DCs use of 2.5" mates with the exception of maybe STRIPE. Seeing what DST has done with the Marvel line to beef-up a few minimates really makes me wish that Killer Croc, Bane, even Braniac had just been beefed up with powerhouse chests, hands, and feet.

As far as newer vs. older mates, I actually like a mix. Mates like Spider-man, Daredevil, and Cyclops, I love the original versions of. Their costumes are simple and they don't have a lot of accessories. They're just guys in tights. I think the newer Daredevil had too much on the tampo, it detracted from the simplicity of the costume. Other minimates lend themselves to a lot more detail: Apocolypse, War Machine, The Spirit (the extra tie piece is awesome).

One direction I really don't like that a lot of the newer minimates are taking is using the slip-on masks. I don't like them one bit, and really wish we could go back to masks with eye and mouth openings. This is why I can't accept Invaders Cap as-is; he's almost perfect, except for that mask.

I think for the most part newer is just better. here's a list of my "definitive versions".

Spider-Man: The heroes box-set one. I think the colors on it just make it really POP as the best. the original's suit being cast in the colors really bugs me.

Captain America: Invaders. while I don't own it, it's hard to deny that it looks the best, especially with the full chain mail.

Dr. Doom: The new is SOOOOOOOOO much better. I HATE the old one. HATE.

Ghost Rider: While I think the newer one is better, I think the Champions look FAR better than either of the ones we have.

Green Goblin: New, period.

Hulk: Defenders for sure. The newest one looks like total crap, sorry DST.

Iron Man: There are honestly too many, I think it's a matter of preference. I think the newest or the modular looks the best.

Magneto: The new. Again with the GG and Doc. Doom, I don't like the old ones.

Venom: I think Powerhouse looks best.

Wolverine: After seeing it in pics, the new ones looks absolutely STUNNING. I am happy to say I am EXCITED that they are making a new Wolverine, as this looks to be the absolute definitive Wolverine by a mile.

I too come down in the middle. A great example is the Green Goblin. I love the character..particularly old school pre-death by glider. I find the cartoony look great, but then I also love the details on the new one. I do miss the elf shoes tho. I love the original Rhino..but I feel it could benefit from some bulking up. I also agree that Apocalypse to me is overdone.Too many parts can be a bad thing imo. I think we can all agree that Juggernaut needs a redo. When a new version comes out he or she doesn't replace the old for me...they just go in line next to all my other versions of that character.

- Paul

I too come down in the middle. A great example is the Green Goblin. I love the character..particularly old school pre-death by glider. I find the cartoony look great, but then I also love the details on the new one. I do miss the elf shoes tho. I love the original Rhino..but I feel it could benefit from some bulking up. I also agree that Apocalypse to me is overdone.Too many parts can be a bad thing imo. I think we can all agree that Juggernaut needs a redo. When a new version comes out he or she doesn't replace the old for me...they just go in line next to all my other versions of that character.

- Paul

hey, paul... have you tried putting the big ol' elf shoes from the first gobby on that new version of green goblin yet? it actually looks great! and the paint on those booties actually matches up just fine with the new version, too.

and welcome aboard minimate multiverse, by the way!!! i'm a newbie here myself... and it's a really cool site (as you already know).