UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

This years tally of Mates

If you were to have bought everything different that has been released this year has anyone got any idea what it's cost ? I haven't any idea myself but I'm sure someone has & I'm just interested in a rough figure.

All I know is that it would involve re-mortgaging my house or taking out a small to medium size loan from the bank.

Funny you should ask BHM, 'cause I was just about to consider starting up a "So who here's really having Minimate-related financial troubles?" thread. I guess what we really need is to revive the old "Minimates Anonymous" one :blink:

Anyway, here's my informal tally of the Minimates I've bought so far this year alone... I shudder to hazard a price estimate:

Invaders boxset

Secret Invasion boxset

Punisher: War Zone boxset

Hostile Takeover boxset

Marvel waves 19-20 (just two packs from each wave)

Marvel wave 23 (full, with variant)

Marvel waves 24-25 (full, without variants)

random lot of twenty-something Battlestar Galactica mates

random lost of thirty-something Marvel mates

almost 3-4 full DC Direct waves

maybe 15 mates from MMMV trades alone (plus shipping!)

a few (maybe 2-3) more here and there

And just today: The Spirit movie boxset and a loose C3 Batgirl

... and I just bought my first-ever Minimate pack in April of last year.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrackIsCheaper

Edited by NorthRaider

Hmm...this year...let's see:

Marvel:

Waves:

27*

28*

29*

30*

Box Sets:

Secret Invasion

Punisher: War Zone

Heroes

Villains

Champions*

Thunderbolts*

Dark Avengers 1*

Dark Avengers 2*

Wolverine Through the Ages*

Infinity Gauntlet*

Exclusives:

Gaunlet Tony Stark & Stealth Iron Man

Hulk & Abomination**

Hulk & Dr. Doom**

Spider-man & Green Goblin**

Wolverine & Magneto**

Wonder Man & Union Jack

Punisher & Jigsaw**

Origins Wolverine & Agent Zero

Weapon X Wolverine & Silver Fox

Web Armor Spider-man & Venom (Mac Gargan)**

Wolverine & Sabretooth**

Captain America & AIM Agent**

Classic Iron Man & Mk II War Machine**

Bullseye & Moonstone

Total So Far: $485.44 (aka DAAAAAMN!!)

Battlestar Galactica:

Exclusives:

D'anna & Lee*

Razor Cylon & William*

Tyllium Cylon & John Cavil*

Kara & Leoben*

Stealth Cylon & Aaron Doral*

Tigh & Six*

Ellen & Simon*

Athena & Centurion*

Sam & Tory*

Tyrol & Mortar Cylon*

Raider & Gold Cylon*

Mk VII Viper & Hot Dog*

Scar Raider & Cylon + BD Mk VII Viper & Starbuck*

Total So Far: $609.31

Terminator 2:

Waves:

1*

2*

Singles:

John Connor

Silver T-1000

Half-Human Terminator

Endoskeleton

BD Endoskeleton

Exclusives:

Assault Gear T-800 & SWAT Officer

Liquid Form T-1000 & BD Endoskeleton*

Total So Far: $667.23

Ghostbusters:

Box Sets:

1*

2*

Exclusives:

TRU Wave 1*

TRU Wave 2*

Amazon Box Set***

Total So Far: $785.10

The Spirit:

Box Sets:

Movie Box Set

Exclusives:

Sand Saref & BD Spirit

Total So Far: $808.80

The Godfather:

Box Sets:

Box Set 1*

Total So Far: $824.07

Final Total: $824.07 (aka HOLY S*IT I SOLD MY [x] FOR THIS?!?!?!?!?!)

Key:

*: Unreleased as of yet

**: Packaging variant; minimates available elsewhere

***: Possibly Cancelled

If i missed anything feel free to point it out. And sadly this is a list with ONE of everything. Ouch.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Wow TTF even if your list isn't 100% that's a mighty scary list of minimates and total!

Seems like this is the year I break completist status...

Makes me wonder if we are getting close to saturation point, where they don't sell any more mates than when they had fewer lines because we can only spend so much?

T.

Buzz kill.

Yup. :lol:

And yeah, Tim, it's very scary. I had no idea that we were spending so much already, with so much still looming in the near future. I mean, i didn't even include Secret Wars, so that's another 15.99 right there!! It's times like this that i feel very sad for people like Ivan. :(

I figure maybe DST would be in a better position to saturate the market with Minimates if the crossover appeal was better. You know, if Minimates were seen as a sort of widely-embraced, wildly successful "breakout hit" line in a way similar to how people used to view Kubricks and urban vinyl. As it stands now Minimates still pegwarm in a lot of different places, and the Ghostbusters/Terminator licenses are still seen as something of a gamble as a lot of people out there still see 'mates as something they otherwise wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. I dunno, it's pretty hard to pin down what most people really think of 'mates outside of the "popular" notion that they're just annoyingly cute Lego lookalikes.

... am I making sense?

Makes me wonder if we are getting close to saturation point, where they don't sell any more mates than when they had fewer lines because we can only spend so much?

I still have plenty of spare money to pick up the slack :[

I think I have spent more money on mates this year than any other, somewhere in the neighborhood of $400, not including a few buys here on the boards.

Wow TTF even if your list isn't 100% that's a mighty scary list of minimates and total!

Seems like this is the year I break completist status...

T.

That's too scary to even think of! How dare you?!?

:P

I know for sure that I've gotten at least 10 two-packs and three box sets out of the recent stuff XD

And given that those figures don't add tax and the shipping charges many of us endure because we don't have access to aq regular LCS, the amount is still a bit higher.

However, since I'm not a completist and will pass on a fair amount of the Marvel as well as the Amazon Set, this isn't really too unmanageable - I'd say that I'd spend more if I ate take-out @ $10/week for the year - and I'd rather have minimates than McDonald's or Taco Bell any day -

My collection isn't a hardship for me or my family, but I try and pass on other "luxuries" like eating out and other stuff as an offset.

Edited by captain_cbecker

I do know that I spent close to $1000 US dollars last year (that includes tax and shipping) on Minimates.

Despite the recent flood of announcements, the projected number of 2009 releases isn't that much higher than 2008. Figure a 10% increase in cost. Ouch.

I have given up other collecting endeavors (like Transformers and a lot of SW as well as other small random things I wanted) to make up for the increase in Minimate spending. That is even when I don't get all the movie related minimates. There was the last ASK DST session that said that even with this being the year of the minimate 2010 will be even bigger! So I will have to make other considerations of what to drop from my collecting cause I just got to keep the minimate addiction fed!

Thats crazy, and it doesnt even factor in doubles for collectors who keep one sealed on their wall and doubles or triples for trade fodder. Some of us are nuts! And I have the unfortunate luck to have recently turned completist and buying/trading for older stuff I missed. At least my wallet was eased by the canceling of ToyBiz marvel Legends and the recent cancelation of Transformers Animated. I buying very few american toys that are not minimates :happy:

I'd rather not know how much i'm going to spend as i intend to have a few doubles and also quite a few terminators and at least 3 deadpools,

Ignorance is bliss.........................

You sound like you're talking to the barman at the beginning of a drinking session :lol:

Those Terminators are strong liquor but the Deadpools :sick:

I'd rather not know how much i'm going to spend as i intend to have a few doubles and also quite a few terminators and at least 3 deadpools,

Ignorance is bliss.........................

You sound like you're talking to the barman at the beginning of a drinking session :lol:

Those Terminators are strong liquor but the Deadpools :sick:

no love for Wade then????

i need 1 to go with my cable custom

1 to go with bob

and 1 to look cool

And yeah, Tim, it's very scary. I had no idea that we were spending so much already, with so much still looming in the near future. I mean, i didn't even include Secret Wars, so that's another 15.99 right there!! It's times like this that i feel very sad for people like Ivan. :(

No need to feel sorry for me, I can quit whenever I want.* :D

The cost doesn't bother me much, if I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't do it. Some people choose to spend their money on eating fine food, or shooting paintballs, or kayaking, or raising their children, or building robots, or following the Mud Wrestling League on tour. I choose Minimates. And I enjoy it.

Right now, Minimates are more fun than they've ever been. All the new products revealed in the past two weeks, the TRU partnership, BSG resurrection and miniflyers (hopefully)... and still SDCC is more than a month away. It's a great time to be a collector.

*I just don't want to.

Well thank goodness for you, Ivan, and the MMDB as I used it last week to go through all my accessories that were in a bin and seperate and label them so I knew which minimates they actually went to it is an invaluable reference!