UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What would you pay for a Numbered Gold/Silver spidey?

I like everyone else would love one of either colour, but reality check is there is no way I could justify paying anything in the hundreds for either. I dont care how much of an investment it would be there is just too many things that would come first for my money then an minimate.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had the money and opportunity, I would personally love to add those to my collection. I could justify it in the right circumstance.

This is why have mine, the chances for me to get them came around at the exact times I got some bonuses from work.

A month in either direction and it would be have been different.

I've actually set some work-bonus money aside in case either of these came available. My limit is probably around $500 a piece, more if I can grab both at the same time. A couple factors play into this for me.

First, like you guys have said it has been a long time since either have been released to the market. With time, my notion of "reasonable amount" goes up. Who knows when I'll get another chance? Second, that hole in the DB gnaws at me. More than the missing Canadian Marvel & LOTR, more than the Spanish C3, that hole, that hole, it haunts my shadows.

I hope things work out for you Timbo.

...that hole...

Well, the above discussion just goes to prove how much I underestimate the Gold/Silver Spideys' appeal. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own one of those someday but $500 is a little too rich for my blood. (Dude, I could quadruple my CD collection with that kind of money! :blink:)

Besides, why putter around dreaming of rare minimates when there are still so many commons I'm missing from my collection... fraggin' garden-variety Superman <_<

I've actually set some work-bonus money aside in case either of these came available. My limit is probably around $500 a piece, more if I can grab both at the same time. A couple factors play into this for me.

First, like you guys have said it has been a long time since either have been released to the market. With time, my notion of "reasonable amount" goes up. Who knows when I'll get another chance? Second, that hole in the DB gnaws at me. More than the missing Canadian Marvel & LOTR, more than the Spanish C3, that hole, that hole, it haunts my shadows.

I hope things work out for you Timbo.

...that hole...

I keep meaning to ask Ivan, but can't you just "borrow" someone else's Gold Spidey even if it's just for the official Database pictorial? I mean, all you have to do is promise you won't keep it for yourse- oh. :P

OK I just have to ask this question ......

" If the bagged & numbered are worth perhaps $500 each ,what is the perceived value of unbagged numberless ones ? "

Seeing as you were first to answer when I asked It's only right that I do the same. :)

I have seen a lot of these change hands for around $200 each.

T.

Those bags are therefore worth more than the Minimates........interesting!

Yeah it sounds funny but consider how much more even the unnumbered/bagged ones go for more than regular minimates, you of all people should know the value of rarity and even more so if there are a known number. Consider why you buy the very rare expensive kubricks, what makes those different from the $10 ones? Rarity.

It's not the bags themselves it's the numbering and pedigree. The fact that it is pretty well documented that only 50 of the numbered ones exist and as far as we know perhaps 40 of those went to the industry ( rumor has it that marvel has most of the gold locked away in it's vaults). This means that there are probably only at most a dozen of each out there in fandom.

The unumbered or unbagged ones are an unknown quantity, they were probably produced at the same factory but have no official recognition and we don't know how many of them are out there or even if there are fakes.

T.

It's not the bags themselves it's the numbering and pedigree. The fact that it is pretty well documented that only 50 of the numbered ones exist and as far as we know perhaps 40 of those went to the industry ( rumor has it that marvel has most of the gold locked away in it's vaults). This means that there are probably only at most a dozen of each out there in fandom.

The unumbered or unbagged ones are an unknown quantity, they were obviously produced at the same factory but have no official recognition and we don't know how many of them are out there or 100% where they came from.

T.

The unbagged/unnumbered ones are informally known as the "Dragon Design" ones, right? I remember coming across a couple of old threads that sort-of explained what they were.

Once again a parenthetical reference has me going on a weird tangent: I somehow got this mental picture of Stan Lee twiddling his thumbs and looming over the "gold Spideys locked away in Marvel's vaults"... somebody stop me.

What about the Silvers? How many of them are "officially" out there?

The unbagged/unnumbered ones are informally known as the "Dragon Design" ones, right? I remember coming across a couple of old threads that sort-of explained what they were.

Once again a parenthetical reference has me going on a weird tangent: I somehow got this mental picture of Stan Lee twiddling his thumbs and looming over the "gold Spideys locked away in Marvel's vaults"... somebody stop me.

What about the Silvers? How many of them are "officially" out there?

Amusing mental image, but I suspect Stan Lee is twiddling and looming over real gold bars not minimates :)

There are 50 numbered and bagged silver as well NR.

T.

Come on... you really think The Man can resist those lovable little pieces of plastic crack? :P

I guess the question I should've asked is whether there were any unofficial (unbagged/unnumbered) Silvers out there like the Golds. If there weren't (or if there weren't that many), then maybe that'd explain why they seem "fewer" than the Golds.

Maybe DST can bring them back and/or release a Bronze Spidey next, or a Swarovski-crystal-studded Wolverine. As if we Mateheads weren't poor enough.

Come on... you really think The Man can resist those lovable little pieces of plastic crack? :P

I guess the question I should've asked is whether there were any unofficial (unbagged/unnumbered) Silvers out there like the Golds. If there weren't (or if there weren't that many), then maybe that'd explain why they seem "fewer" than the Golds.

Maybe DST can bring them back and/or release a Bronze Spidey next, or a Swarovski-crystal-studded Wolverine. As if we Mateheads weren't poor enough.

Yes there are unnumbered silver ones out there is the wild, probably more than the gold ones from what I know.

I don't think we will get a giveaway like gold/silver spidey again, talking to Chuck the logistics of doing it are a nightmare and they got into a lot of trouble at SDCC for the size of the lines that formed.

T.

Ivan, I feel your pain!

I felt the same back when I was a completist and MMC was up to date with everything that was released in the 2" scale, about 4 years ago! I used to ask myself if I'd open something I'd've paid around $500 for just to review it on the site. I never did quite work out what I would actually do.

In the end I did see one "in the flesh" (Ady's, bless him) and that was good enough for me.

In the end I did see one "in the flesh" (Ady's, bless him) and that was good enough for me.

:P

Interstingly I was just wondering the same re the value of these the other day, my unpacking (yay for another house move) has just unearthed my 'precious' Minimate selection...

If you find any small ,empty ,numbered bags they could be worth upwards of $200. :D

And I thought you told us you understood the collectables market Rob... B)

I'd say this post proves that BHM is more than a bit upset that he only has the inferior unnumbered ones in his collection and is running a smear campaign out of petulance that his deep pockets haven't landed numbered ones and he cannot call his collection complete until he does. ;)

T.

I'd say this post proves that BHM is more than a bit upset that he only has the inferior unnumbered ones in his collection and is running a smear campaign out of petulance that his deep pockets haven't landed numbered ones and he cannot call his collection complete until he does. ;)

TBT, I gotta say, that's cold :lol:

TBT i'm sure you'll get many many offers but if it was me i'd see what else i had for sale first as you probably won't get the chance for a while to own them again

i'm with andy on this one, T. I mean, if there is anything else you could sell comparable to the amount you would get for those puppies, I would try to liquidate that first.

those little spideys are something to be treasured :)

(wow, that's the only time you'll ever hear me say that about spiderman)

That's an expensive cartridge.

For those who have known me I had been a completist whore for a long time. I have no idea how many minimates I have now. Although I do have the the gold/silver minis, I haven't looked at mine for maybe a year and a half now, it's in my minimate warehouse, I think. Funny as it sounds, I'm missing some minimates in my collection but it's not worth me getting worked up about it. Life is always more important and sometimes gets in the way of those personal non-essentials, gadgets, toys and hobbies. The worth of a toy is an illusion of value that we make up and is traded for money. While it breaks my heart, over the past year I have sold some of my goods in an effort to help those I care about most. I hope it works out for you TBT! Congratulations to those lucky and fortunate to score some Gold/Silver goodness.