UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Top Five All Time.

This is a game that I play with my friend where someone throws out a topic and everyone gives their All Time Top 5 for the topic. I thought it would be fun to play with all of you sort of as a getting to know you kind of exercise. So right out of the gate let's have your All Time Top 5 Movies. There can be no ties and lists do not have to be in any particular order. Mine are:

Good Will Hunting

Saving Private Ryan

Slumdog Millionaire

Almost Famous

Shaun of the Dead

Feel free to discuss each others favorites but let's try to be respectful.

okay mine are

Rocky

Sin city

The Mask

teenage mutant ninja turtles

Who framed roger rabbit

oh there's a lot more but these just come into my head at the moment

okay mine are

Rocky

Sin city

The Mask

teenage mutant ninja turtles

Who framed roger rabbit

oh there's a lot more but these just come into my head at the moment

I wrestled with putting Rocky in mine. Is that Jim Carrey The Mask or Erik Stoltz The Mask?

1. Miller's Crossing

2. Ghostbusters

3. Aliens

4. Double Indemnity

5. A History of Violence

1. Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Say it ain't so, MOC! The remake over the original?? I also enjoyed the remake, but man, you gotta go with Romero if you pick a zombie movie, IMO. My personal fave is Day of the Dead.

And 3 people so far put Shaun of the Dead in their top five. That is surprising to me. I might actually like Hot Fuzz more.

Of other choices, as a 10 year old, Ninja Turtles would have easily been my number 1 pick. I have a lot of nostalgia associated with that one. I also really dig Rocky and Anchorman. Seems like all Ferrell movies pale next to that one, unfortunately.

In groundhog's defense, the question was limited to top five. Those probably would have made it into top 8, although I think Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 was so good it could probably count twice, bumping Elektra out of the coveted 8 spot.

My picks:

Amelie

Empire Strikes Back

Lord of the Rings

Duck Soup

The English Patient

...right now anyway. My top five movies always change depending on mood, etc. They're always pulled from the top 30 or so, but narrowing it down to five is tough.

Edited by Turtle

Empire Strikes Back

Duck Soup

:buttrock: Love the Marx Brothers. Surprised you didn't include Master of Disguise, though. A misunderstood masterpiece, if ever there was one.

...right now anyway. My top five movies always change depending on mood, etc. They're always pulled from the top 30 or so, but narrowing it down to five is tough.

My top 5 is usually pretty stable, but sometimes Frailty, the Maltese Falcon, or Raiders will worm their way in there.

My top five movies always change depending on mood, etc. They're always pulled from the top 30 or so, but narrowing it down to five is tough.

Same, which is why I rarely ever make an actual attempt at these kinds of lists. (I'm indecisive as hell, and I also don't watch movies as often as I'd like to.)

Depending on my mood, my top 5 is bound to contain either a lot of "guilty pleasures" or some "highbrow" stuff. Off the top of my head:

Waking Life (Not for everyone... you can always try A Scanner Darkly instead, which I also recommend)

Lords of Dogtown (My idea of a guilty pleasure: classic rock songs and tropical proto-skater culture)

Into The Wild (Just saw this on DVD last night... as moving a film as you can appreciate)

V For Vendetta (Just because this was the first movie I've ever seen in theaters twice)

... ugh, now I'm stuck on my Number Five...

Bah, let's make it Reign Over Me.

Empire Strikes Back

Duck Soup

:buttrock: Love the Marx Brothers. Surprised you didn't include Master of Disguise, though. A misunderstood masterpiece, if ever there was one.

The Marx Brothers rule. I feel that Master of Disguise paints turtles in an unfair light. For years turtles have stuggled with that kind of prejudice. Sure, the Ninja Turtles did a lot to raise awareness, but now everyone thinks a turtle is either some loser or a ninja. There's not really a middle ground that fairly and accurately depicts turtles. And don't get me started on salmonella.

Depending on my mood, my top 5 is bound to contain either a lot of "guilty pleasures" or some "highbrow" stuff. Off the top of my head:

Waking Life (Not for everyone... you can always try A Scanner Darkly instead, which I also recommend)

Lords of Dogtown (My idea of a guilty pleasure: classic rock songs and tropical proto-skater culture)

Into The Wild (Just saw this on DVD last night... as moving a film as you can appreciate)

V For Vendetta (Just because this was the first movie I've ever seen in theaters twice)

... ugh, now I'm stuck on my Number Five...

Bah, let's make it Reign Over Me.

My guilty pleasures consist largely of Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movies. Seriously, I can't not watch those. So Lords of Dogtown just makes me feel guiltier about watching Joe Versus the Volcano.

Since we are all coming clean on such things, I enjoy many bad/cheesy movies from the 80s, even romantic comedies, although their contemporary counterparts make me physically sick.

My guiltiest pleasure is watching Mary Poppins. Seriously.

I have spoken of this movie many times here, but if you haven't checked it out, you must see "the Americanization of Emily." I gained a heck of a lot of respect for Julie Andrews the day I saw that one.

Edited by karamazov80

OOOH! this is tough but heres mine in no particular order

1 Jurassic Park

2 transformers (original animated )

3 the wrestler (he was robbed at the oscars)

4 the jungle book (the original disney movie)

5 The shadow

My guiltiest pleasure is watching Mary Poppins. Seriously.

Mary F***ing Poppins...chim f***ing cheroo. If she's your guiltiest pleasure then you need to get out more.....or get it out more. Or Mary Tyler Moore.

I gained a heck of a lot of respect for Julie Andrews the day I saw that one.

:( Julie Andrews is one of those 'English' people I have yet to meet.....! Jim Rockford however never did ring me back despite the fact I left many messages on his answering machine.

Hmmm my guilty pleasures would be:

coraline( which really is a good movie)

Pinocchio( first animated film I watched; still enjoy it)

the producers(musical)( I like hearing people sing...)

Mulan( A woman who talks to a dragon, nice...)

Digimon:the movie(It's better than pokemon the movie)

What can I say I'm still a kid...