UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

X-Philes: Rejoice!

Nessex

One of the boys over at MarvelousNews alerted me to Amazon.com this morning. It seems that a time of celebration is apon all us X-Philes. No, we aren't celebrating Alien Abduction. I said X-Philes. Fans of the X!

The 90's animated X-Men series looks like it is FINALLY getting a release.

When it originally aired, i was probably a *little* too old for the demographic they were aiming for, but it didn't stop me getting up at 6:50am to catch it on the local morning Cartoon show before school each day.

Now - it looks like i can at long last sleep in of a morning and watch X-Men at my lieasure. Any time i like! ALL the time, if i like! WOOT!

Seasons 1 & 2 will be released April 28th. Here's hoping the rest of the series gets released shortly after!

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Marvel-Comic-B...pd_bxgy_d_img_b

post-2737-1239918156_thumb.jpg

I can't wait! This has been something that my collection has long awaited. :)

I watched a couple episodes recently and it did not hold up so good.

Hehe I know, from what I remember, this show was terrible!

Are you kidding!? This was, and in my opinion still is the best animated show based on a Marvel comic. They implemented alot of storylines found in the source material, I felt the only real disadvantage was the fact that is was made for Saturday morning TV so alot of things had to be dumbed-down to avoid complaints. They even gave it a proper ending which could've continued with the teams branching out into Blue, Gold and X-Factor groups.

I just hope they eventually release every episode and would love to see some behind-the-scenes footage, like interviews with the voice actors, bloopers, and a making-of featurette.

... did they even have behind-the-scenes DVD extras back in the nineties? :lol:

I caught up with some old episodes of these on cable, and I have to say that even with the series being somewhat dated now, I still appreciate the breadth of the comic narratives translated to TV. There was just some sort of mystique to getting your mind embroiled in such a complex narrative at that age...

True, there were parts of it I didn't get as a kid (the Bishop and dark Phoenix arcs, me thinking Banshee was a villain, the Weapon X backstory), but the very fact that I can actually be able to go back and revel at the awesomeness of these stories now is really saying something.

You know...ive had this series and Exo Squad on my hard drive for years now (literally) and i cant help but wonder why folks havent picked them up via Ebay or "middle men" online years back considering how long its taken for both aforementioned series to become widely available through retailers / rights owners (or soon to be in this case).

Long live the net'....

True, there were parts of it I didn't get as a kid (the Bishop and dark Phoenix arcs, me thinking Banshee was a villain, the Weapon X backstory), but the very fact that I can actually be able to go back and revel at the awesomeness of these stories now is really saying something.

Banshee was introduced to the comics as a villain, so maybe it was intentional that young viewers didn't know where his loyalties lied.

You know...ive had this series and Exo Squad on my hard drive for years now (literally) and i cant help but wonder why folks havent picked them up via Ebay or "middle men" online years back considering how long its taken for both aforementioned series to become widely available through retailers / rights owners (or soon to be in this case).

Long live the net'....

The 'middle man' was selling the series for anywhere upward of $80. and most of the sets that i saw available had the FoxKids logo in the corner of the screen. I was holding out for the 'real' set. I knew my loyalty would be off eventually. ha ha.

UGH!!!!I despise all of you! being born in the mid 90's was such a curse! I got to catch the end of this serious when I was like 4 and I still remember some parts and when I was finally old enuff to watch and understand X-Men cartoons

and cartoons period I got to watch EFFIN' X-Men: Evolutions...ugh well I'm for sure gonna buy this dvd set for shizzle

This has already been released in the UK I'm just waiting on Vol2 of Series 2. Makes a change being ahead of most of you guys on something.

You can now get Season 2 Vol. 2 on Play.com http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/9223804/X-M...-2/Product.html

I managed to get the 4 DVD boxset:

6362752x.jpg

I found it in Forbidden Planet in Bristol.

I'll probably double-dip with the USA releases, just to find out if the episodes will be uncut as the English dvds do have some minor cuts, the most memorable so far is in the Alpha Flight Episode "Repo Man", in the original Wolverine says "It's none of your Bleeding business!" but on the UK dvd he just says "It's none of your business"

X-MenVolume1DVDCover.jpgX-MenVolume2DVDCover.jpg

Also the US Volume 2 has seven more episodes:

Red Dawn

Repo Man

X-Ternally Yours

Time Fugitives (Part 1)

Time Fugitives (Part 2)

A Rogue's Tale

Beauty & The Beast

Mojo Vision

Reunion (Part 1)

Reunion (Part 2)

Out of the Past (Part 1)

Out of the Past (Part 2)

The Phoenix Saga (Part 1): Sacrifice

The Phoenix Saga (Part 2): The Dark Shroud

The Phoenix Saga (Part 3): Cry of the Banshee

The Phoenix Saga (Part 4): The Starjammers

The Phoenix Saga (Part 5): Child of Light

This came out around the same time as Batman: the Animated Series, and though I loved Batman, even as a 12-13 year old, I thought the animation and stories on the X-Men show were pretty underwhelming. So, I never really cared for it. But I can understand those who were younger kids when this came out looking forward to it. I still wish Marvel could get its act together and release Spidey and His Amazing Friends and the 80s Hulk cartoon on U.S. DVD. . .or I guess Blu-Ray, since DVD will probably be obsolete in the next year or two.

This came out around the same time as Batman: the Animated Series, and though I loved Batman, even as a 12-13 year old, I thought the animation and stories on the X-Men show were pretty underwhelming. So, I never really cared for it. But I can understand those who were younger kids when this came out looking forward to it. I still wish Marvel could get its act together and release Spidey and His Amazing Friends and the 80s Hulk cartoon on U.S. DVD. . .or I guess Blu-Ray, since DVD will probably be obsolete in the next year or two.

You're right - even as a youngen, i could tell the animation for Batman was a great deal better, but i loved the story arcs X-Men worked with. They were less 'self-contained' than the Batman series was, so it felt a bit more epic sometimes. I could usually get past the poor animation & just enjoy seeing my favourite super-heros in action.

• 3 weeks later...

i've been watching these recently, on series 4 as we speak. i'd agree that the animation and dialogue are rather poor, but its great to have so many characters and classic story lines packed into each series.

on a seperate note, while americans are notoriously bad at british accents in films/television, a special mention must go out to Moira and Banshee's scottish accents... it can only be described as a subtle blend of Irish and Jamaican... terrible

My least favorite voice in the show is Sabretooth. I don't think he is a foreign actor, but he is horrible! Same guy that did Anton Arcane in the Swamp Thing cartoon. A buddy and I used to laugh our asses off when he was talking--"SWAMP thing, you will NEVER escApe my UN-men!" :lol:

My least favorite voice in the show is Sabretooth. I don't think he is a foreign actor, but he is horrible! Same guy that did Anton Arcane in the Swamp Thing cartoon. A buddy and I used to laugh our asses off when he was talking--"SWAMP thing, you will NEVER escApe my UN-men!" :lol:

i remember that! ... just