UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Urban Outfitters

I stopped by a local Urban Outfitters last night and found a lot of interesting things related to Minimates and collectibles.

1. Chef Duff has been Clearanced to $1.99. I was able to pick up a few and if you really need him, send me a PM. And if you have any extra SDCC 2009 blanks (or NYCC 2009 or NYTF 2009 Spock) to trade, you will be my best friend.

2. Star Trek Minimates Wave 5 was on display. They are marked $14.00 per pack. Variants are same price.

3. They had a TON of Mighty Muggs. I'm not a fan, but the display was very striking. They had GIJOE, MARVEL, STAR WARS. I didn't check the price.

Thoughts:

I was worried about the demise of Suncoast and the impact it would have on movie Minimates. But DST always seems to find a new retailer for Minimates. Urban Outfitters carries quirky toys, and I think movie and TV Minimates fit with their "vibe" even better than Tower and SunCoast.

Here's to hoping for a long and prosperous arrangement between DST and Urban Outfitters.

That's just plain strange.

Having Lost as Kubricks makes me hate them even more. The existance of Kubricks frustrates the plan of Minimates. Too many shows and movies would probably do better as Minimates, but instead they are taken by some other weird looking brand. I would love Lost Minimates, but it won't happen (I believe) partially because there are already Lost mini-figures. And I think they're ugly.

The secret to enjoying kubricks is not to compare them with Minimates .......... then it gets easier. Regarding kubricks threatening Minimate plans.....completely wrong because kubricks attain most of their licenses with a general proviso not to 'retail' them outside of Japan .Kubricks therefore will not influence Minimate licenses. Perhaps a UKer's 'sour grapes' but it's a bit like Minimates are not officially for sale outside of North America.

My Urban Outfitters doesn't have any 'mates, but it does have a lot of Mighty Muggs. I don't know, I haven't been there in a while, so maybe they added some 'mates.

But isn't $14 a little much for 2-packs, ecpeccially for Star Trek 'mates?

When did Urban Outfitters start carrying toys? I've lived by several in my time, and I've never seen toys there (outside of novelty toys). Anyway, $14 a pack?! No thanks.

I agree, $14 a pop is expensive, however Urban Outfitters is kind of a trendy upscale place (at least the one I visited). So prices could perhaps vary in other locations. But I agree, toys seem new.

What I did notice though is Chef Duff was originally $14.00. He was marked down to $5.99 at some point. And then he went to $1.99 and the Bargain Bin. So I figure the Star Trek stuff is new to Urban Outfitters. The strategy may try to get some buyers at the high price then mark down after a couple of months to finally move the stuff - like retailers do with designer clothes. These are, after all, designer toys!

When the Trek packs hit $1.99, I will be all over them.

.......... I thought I'd just mention that the sealed,repeat sealed, case of Lost kubricks I received from BBTS recently contained the individual blind-boxes (oddly enough)each with an Urban Outfitters label on it. This can only have been done at the factory.

Since I posted that yesterday I sought out the actual case which I mentioned because something had occurred to me.

post-638-1234523089_thumb.jpgThis is the case which I unsealed & this one of the blind-boxes with the UO sticker post-638-1234523189_thumb.jpg& this is the discovery I made which I never realised beforepost-638-1234523065_thumb.jpg.....the case has been re-sealed :huh:

Now I'm not complaining because one of the boxes had Linus in it who is a 1/96 secret......... but it is all very odd.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm not sure how excited y'all are about this little guy, but he comes with some excellent accessories and can now be found at Urban Outfitters for 1.99!

That's an 85% discount for a chainsaw, a guitar, a blow torch, a hat, miscellaneous cooking supplies, and, you know, some dude.

It's pretty rad, I just thought I'd pass it along.

There was actually already a thread about this in the TV & Movie Minimates section, but depending on whether you're a Chef Duff fan or not I guess this is good news.

In short, I SO f*cking want this set!!! Oh, to live in a city where the atrociously cool minimates can pegwarm at bargain prices.... (Seriously. I so want this set. Is anybody out there kind enough to pick one of these up MIB for me? I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement... ;))

I am in New York right now, and tonight I was aimlessly walking around. In the process, I ran across 2 Urban Outfitters. Being the Minimate geek that I am, I checked out both for cheap-o Susan and Ace of Cake 'Mates, but to no avail. I also saw some Lost Kubs at one, and every box had been opened (by someone looking for the chases, presumably), and taped closed again.