UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

what other toy line has actually made it to 26 waves?

murderofcrows

I know we all want more and more marvel minimates, *me included, but if you think about it... Minimates have been around since 2003, and have had 26 regular waves, as well as tons of box sets, exclusives etc...

besides star wars and gi joe, can anyone else think of another action figure line that has had this kind of longevity?

I mean since i have started collected minimates, i have changed jobs 2 times, moved 2 times, got married, and had a kid....

so that being said, any Action Figure lines out there that can boast this? and how long do we REALLy think it will last.

Me personally, i am thinking 30 and out. *that is being a bit of a pessimist. but i really think 30 will be the tops. Now I would like it to be 50....hell i would like to still see marvel minimates on the shelves when i am an old geezer but realistically we have had a HELL of a run dont you think?

moc847

Other Action Figures that have had more than 26 waves

1. Kubrick

Edited by murderofcrows

This is exactly why I never complain about more Spider-Man and Wolverine mates - it helps the line survive longer. Now they just need to sneak some minimates into a Marvel movie like they did in the comics. That will get the money rolling in. :D

I suspect that Marvel Legends and Power Rangers had that many waves, as have some girls toys like Barbie and My Little Pony. Possibly Ninja Turtles, but I'm not sure about that (the original line probably ended before getting that many waves, but if you add subsequent lines together, you would have a pretty high number--same goes for Transformers, WWF/WWE wrestlers, and GI Joes [unless you count all the weird sub-lines like "Eco-Warriors" as separate "waves"]). I don't know if they come in "waves" or not, but surely LEGO and Hot Wheels do.

But, I realize MOC's point, and realize and appreciated this myself whenever I look at one of my Minimate shelves. Like everything in life, we really aren't entitled to anything, and toy collectors have been really fortunate to have so many great toys come out over the last few years. We get what we get for as long as we are allowed. If the Marvel line died tomorrow I would be crushed, but I would also be appreciative of what we did get.

I suspect that Marvel Legends and Power Rangers had that many waves, as have some girls toys like Barbie and My Little Pony. Possibly Ninja Turtles, but I'm not sure about that (the original line probably ended before getting that many waves, but if you add subsequent lines together, you would have a pretty high number--same goes for Transformers, WWF/WWE wrestlers, and GI Joes [unless you count all the weird sub-lines like "Eco-Warriors" as separate "waves"]). I don't know if they come in "waves" or not, but surely LEGO and Hot Wheels do.

But, I realize MOC's point, and realize and appreciated this myself whenever I look at one of my Minimate shelves. Like everything in life, we really aren't entitled to anything, and toy collectors have been really fortunate to have so many great toys come out over the last few years. We get what we get for as long as we are allowed. If the Marvel line died tomorrow I would be crushed, but I would also be appreciative of what we did get.

Power Rangers, you are probably right

Marvel Legends I dont think so

Ninja Turtles you are probably right again, holy hell did they have some waves....surfs up wave, pizza delivery wave....old man turtle wave.

It seems pretty close if you include both Toy Biz and Hasbro lines, excluding box sets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Legends

Also, not to be too nit-picky, but recall that the Ghost Rider "wave" was never released, so we have actually had 25 "regular" waves, excluding the Target waves, etc.

It seems pretty close if you include both Toy Biz and Hasbro lines, excluding box sets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Legends

Also, not to be too nit-picky, but recall that the Ghost Rider "wave" was never released, so we have actually had 25 "regular" waves, excluding the Target waves, etc.

ahhhhhhhh touche' point kara!

however, i do not know if I count the Hasbro waves as true marvel legends....yea i know splitting hairs 6 inch marvel hyper articulated ok fine damnit i count them happy?

Edited by murderofcrows

Regarding the 'End of Mates' this is something I have contemplated since palZ died which led me directly into collecting them ('Mates) & thence kubricks. I have previously concluded that kubricks will probably outlast me although Minimates will perhaps die an untimely,unnecessary death .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Regarding the 'End of Mates' this is something I have contemplated since palZ died which led me directly into collecting them ('Mates) & thence kubricks. I have previously concluded that kubricks will probably outlast me although Minimates will perhaps die an untimely,unnecessary death .

I know it sucks to think about but you are so right, there will one day come when AA and DST say pack up he molds we are done. I do not look forward to that day, I can only hope that before that day comes, we get a Kang Minimate.

moc847

however, i do not know if I count the Hasbro waves as true marvel legends

In my mind, the new ones suck so bad they might as well not exist. As for BHM's post, I don't know about Kubricks. They were around before Minimates, but does anyone here know how well they actually sell nowadays? Knowing what little of Japanese culture that I do, wacky, exaggerated toys would seem to have a longer lifespan there than here in the U.S., where we tend to like more "realistic" looking toys (thinking of all the anime toys versus GI Joe, Marvel Legends, etc.). Plus, they "diversify" their licenses quite a bit more than AA/DST do (or are able to) which like any good investment, must ensure better returns. So, I guess I'm inclined to agree with him, though I don't know all the relevant factors.

(just trying to spread the "BS" speculation to other threads :) )

As for Kang, at the rate that our "most wanted" Minimates have been announced recently (Red Skull, comic Sabretooth, Deadpool, etc.), and the dwindling number of baddies unreleased thus far, I would be surprised if we didn't have an announcement re: Kang within the year. I just hope that the sales from "obscuro-character" wave won't be detrimental to the health of the Marvel Minimate license as a whole. To me, that wave seems like it was made with no real consideration for how well it might sell.

Edited by karamazov80

I must agree that I have no factual knowledge as to the state of kubricks & the Lost wave in particular probably didn't live up to my expectations which weren't too high to start with. It is sad but true , I would almost be pleased if they did stop making them I could then perhaps afford more food :unsure:

hush, not until the ghostbuster kubricks are released!!!!

Hmmm pasty... YUM...

Anyone notice a theme with the toys that have lasted? It seems that they only do so when backed by a giant like Hasbro or Mattel who has the resources to experiment and perhaps ride out a bad wave or two.

Lets Give AA and then DST a pat on the back for doing such a great job for such small companies... To give this some perspective DST is only about a Dozen people I just looked online and the number of employees for Hasbro is 5,900

As for how long they will last? I already used this quote from Chuck once this week "If you keep buying em we'll keep making them"

T.

but i mean eventually the license has to expire right? (for Marvel that is)

man 6 years is a great run for a toy only distributed through the net and specialty markets.

Hopefully the TRU releases will give it a shot in the arm too.... i need a kang :)

ems that they only do so when backed by a giant like Hasbro or Mattel who has the resources to experiment and perhaps ride out a bad wave or two.

Lets Give AA and then DST a pat on the back for doing such a great job for such small companies... To give this some perspective DST is only about a Dozen people I just looked online and the number of employees for Hasbro is 5,900

Agreed. When you put it that way, it really is that much more impressive. But, when you have a product this awesome, it is not so surprising :D

Well, I think so long as Marvel comics doesn't go anywhere, then Minimates probably won't either. The Marvel license sparked the birth of the modern Minimate, and the license has held longer than every other one in the AA/DST collective. I think we could make it to 50 waves easily just off of Spider-Man and Wolverine variants, with the occasional Iron Man, Captain America, or Hulk figure to keep up variety.

Also, if we aren't counting the two separate attempts at Marvel Legends as one continuous line, then you can probably scratch TMNT and WWE off the list since they've changed hands throughout the years.

But AA/DST do deserve our praise. 6 years is a long time for such a small company to power on, especially considering the fan base they've established and the fact that a bulk of their business likely comes from comic shops and online retailers other than Amazon, TRU, and Walmart.

Well, Spawn is up to 34. Honestly, how that happened is beyond me.

Other than that, you sometimes have to question what makes a continuous line.

Like the 90s Marvel Toybiz figures. Those had a lot of lines, Spiderman, X-Men, etc. Do they all count as one? Same with DC Direct.

Lego City has been around for a while too, far as I know at least.

The Mcfarlane sports series have last quite a bit too. With MLB at 22, and Hockey at 20.

Edited by Shamrock

Well, Spawn is up to 34. Honestly, how that happened is beyond me.

Other than that, you sometimes have to question what makes a continuous line.

Like the 90s Marvel Toybiz figures. Those had a lot of lines, Spiderman, X-Men, etc. Do they all count as one? Same with DC Direct.

Lego City has been around for a while too, far as I know at least.

The Mcfarlane sports series have last quite a bit too. With MLB at 22, and Hockey at 20.

34 series of Spawn??? are you fucking kidding me?

The only way I see this line ending is:

a) when they stop selling so well

and

b ) when they have made the same staple of 4 heroes (spiderman, hulk, captian america, wolvie) over excessively without producing new side kicks or villians.

But lets not talk like this there are many characters yet to be made, i.e. Kang, Lizard, Scorpion, Vulture, Electro etc

By the way why has the outcry for electro died down recently? Last year Deadpool, Gambit and Electro were the biggest names not yet released.

Edited by ramseesthegreat1

I'm stupefied by the sheer amount of brilliance I see here!

I know it sucks to think about but you are so right, there will one day come when AA and DST say pack up he molds we are done. I do not look forward to that day, I can only hope that before that day comes, we get a Kang Minimate.

moc847

You fuckin' said it!

YES to KANG!

I still want Electro. In fact, the only Spidey villains I still absolutely need are Electro, Lizard and Vulture. The rest I don't care about (if there are any left. :blink: )

Ack! Irrefutible logic!

VULTURE! ELECTRO! LIZARD!

YES! Bring them on sooner than later! But don't forget about Scorpion, Beetle and lil ol' Morbius the Living Vampire.

Edited by Mystery Man

I'm stupefied by the sheer amount of brilliance I see here!

moc847

You fuckin' said it!

YES to KANG!

I still want Electro. In fact, the only Spidey villains I still absolutely need are Electro, Lizard and Vulture. The rest I don't care about (if there are any left. :blink: )

Ack! Irrefutible logic!

VULTURE! ELECTRO! LIZARD!

YES! Bring them on sooner than later! But don't forget about Scorpion, Beetle and lil ol' Morbius the Living Vampire.

Oh yeah... I need Scorpion too. But the others can "go take a flying fuck out a window" (name the movie that I just quoted and win the T42 No Prize)