UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BBTS and Secret Invasion minimates???

Zombieboyfiend

A. It's primarily an Avengers story, and they gave us not one, not two, but THREE X-Men. (Granted, two were also Avengers, but they're better known as X-Men). Not to mention, I don't think Jewel was ever an Avenger either, was she? (Honestly not sure.)

B. They're characters only marginally involved with Secret Invasion... Instead of giving us plot relevant characters like Elektra, Iron Man, Spider-Woman, Nicky Fury or even unmade but HUGELY relevent characters like Yellowjacket, Black Widow or Mockingbird, they gave us the people running around in the background... two of whom are already dead...

C. Expanding on the previous two thoughts, the mandatory "Heavy Hitter" they chose was Wolverine... now... I know, every set needs a Wolverine, Spider-Man or Iron Man... but frankly, both of the other two seem like far more logical choices in this case, as both have been far more involved in SI thus far (Iron Man in the main book, Spider-Man in the New Avengers tie-ins) So like... why Wolverine?

From what I can remember, Jewel was offered a spot in the Avengers but turned it down. But Jessica's clearly been a big character in the New Avengers book (and the lead up to the invasion) if not an official member of the team.

I sort of get what you're saying, but I think more people would probably prefer a bunch of new characters/versions over another Iron Man, Spider-Woman, Fury, Cap etc., even if those characters are more main to the series. It is a Secret Invasion set -- the appearance of the characters in this set was the biggest twist in the comic. And if you want Skrully versions of more main characters, they're giving you the extra heads, so...

re: Yellow Jacket and Black Widow I can see what you're saying, but they're lower profile Marvel characters, so maybe they didn't want more than one of those (ie. Jewel)? Plus Yellow Jacket would need new sculpting, and maybe there was a limit on that for this set after all the new sculpts we've had lately? Or maybe not, but I mean who knows what the considerations were?

Oh and Wolverine just makes sense because if you turn his Skrull head around you'll actually see it under his mask -- unlike Iron Man or Spidey. EDIT: Forgot, he's also the only one wearing a (slightly) different costume in the series.

Someone who's going to SDCC tomorrow remember to take a pic of these!

Action-figure.com said they were supposed to be on display for a preview night tonight, so hopefully photos will be on the web tomorrow...

Edited by battlecat

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick note...

ActionFigureInsider.com is reporting from San Diego Comicon that the set contains Wolverine, Phoenix, Beast & Psylocke.

I assume the most likely reason for this is whoever was doing the reporting just saw Jewel's purple hair next to 3 X-Men and got his wires crossed, and that the set still in fact comes with Jewel, as originally reported.

But still, I thought it worth mentioning.

Just a quick note...

ActionFigureInsider.com is reporting from San Diego Comicon that the set contains Wolverine, Phoenix, Beast & Psylocke.

I assume the most likely reason for this is whoever was doing the reporting just saw Jewel's purple hair next to 3 X-Men and got his wires crossed, and that the set still in fact comes with Jewel, as originally reported.

But still, I thought it worth mentioning.

AFI are talkibg out of their arses... it's not psylocke

I didn't have a chanced to get pix today but will try tomorrow.

T.

• 1 month later...

This boxed set is awesome and kicks ass. It continues the mood that DST has set this past year by kicking ass with each and every one of their boxed sets. The addition of extra Skrull heads is fantastic and getting a classic Beast and Phoenix as well as a "fixed" Wolverine and Jewel as a brand new character is completely great. The only thing they could've done better would be to add a 5th character... Mockingbird.

Besides that, it's perfect.

The only thing they could've done better would be to add a 5th character... Mockingbird.

Besides that, it's perfect.

I would definitely prefer Hawkeye's former main squeeze Mockingbird to this Jewel person (having not read Marvel much in about 10 years, I have no clue who the hell she is), but apart from that, I agree that this is a great set. Even though I'm not a huge Skrull fan, it is cool that extra Skrull heads are included in addition to the character-specific, Man-E-Faces-style Skrull heads. More importantly, I really love that Wolverine and Beast, and even though I didn't feel a strong need for a green Phoenix (would have preferred a different, unreleased costume--specifically this), I can't deny that she looks great and I will be glad to add her to my collection.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with all these sets with classic, iconic characters and outfits (Defenders, Invaders, Avengers, this) and I just hope that we keep getting more!!

now this is one set I'm looking forward to more than the Iron man movie set.

I am reading secretinvasion and WOW......Maybe a black bolt????/ super skrull wouldn't have been a waste but mocking bird would have been cool and

Ronin with an Uzi killing them all would have been a bonus..

still will have to get a few sets of these one to make a

spiderwoman/Skrull queen

and make some skrull warriors to go with my super Skrull, and i'll need to buy a new polaris to make an agent brand as well and maybe a new hawkeye to have him without the ronin mask

I wish they'd release an Illuminati boxed set and an Inhumans set.

Illuminati:

Black Bolt

Mr. Fantastic ( give him new stretchy long legs and a stretchy torso. Make him the same version as the previous one so all the parts will be interchangeable)

The Beyonder

Professor X ( a new version, of course)

Inhumans:

Medusa

Karnak

Triton

Gorgon

and maybe add a 5th figure with Crystal

This may sound a little crazy (just a little) but my favorite of the set by the pics I've seen is Wolverine. Then Beast then Phoenix then custom fodder in last. I've been waiting for the definitive Wolvie and I do believe this may be him. Maybe. Possibly. But who knows.

Anyway, this part of the blog interested me:

Like our past releases, each set has at least one Minimate that we won’t ever reuse anywhere else.
I wonder what the others were in each other box set. This is my theory:

Classic Spider-Man: Hydro Man

GSXM: Tunderbird

Invaders (this is a tough one.) I'd have to guess Golden Age Torch but it may well be Bucky (but I hope not. I need access to a Bucky outside of exclusives that I'll probably never get)

Defenders: Valkyrie

Civil War: Nitro obviously

TRU 10 Pack: Ultimate Goblin (Which is an awesome minimate)

Avengers will probably be Ant Man

Iron Man TTA: If I had to pick just one that won't exist again, I'd think that it wuld be Demon in a Bottle

I just thought of something that would make this set even sweeter! Recently, in both the Iron Man and Invaders box sets they have done a great job of adding extra bases for the characters....Could we maybe be seeing a firebird base for Phoenix? :yes: Please?

Oh dear God (Zod) yes! Do It! That would be awesome on so many levels.

Lol...It seems a lot of people wanted Mockingbird instead of Jewel. Which is funny because I keep hearing that Jessica Jones/Jewel is a fan favorite and no one really gives a darn about Mockingbird...but I don't know anything about Jewel and I would have rather had Mockingbird too. :lol:

Lol...It seems a lot of people wanted Mockingbird instead of Jewel. Which is funny because I keep hearing that Jessica Jones/Jewel is a fan favorite and no one really gives a darn about Mockingbird...but I don't know anything about Jewel and I would have rather had Mockingbird too. :lol:

I've been reading Marvel since shortly after Avengers: Disassembled, so I don't know anything about Mockingbird (other than what's been mentioned in Secret Invasion). It looks like she was Hawkeye's love interest, but what made her an Avenger? More specifically, when was she an Avenger, does she have any powers, how did she die, etc. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Since I don't know much about Mockingbird, I'm one of the people that actually prefers Jewel to Mockingbird for this boxset. However, that might change when I find more out about the character.

I've been reading Marvel since shortly after Avengers: Disassembled, so I don't know anything about Mockingbird (other than what's been mentioned in Secret Invasion). It looks like she was Hawkeye's love interest, but what made her an Avenger? More specifically, when was she an Avenger, does she have any powers, how did she die, etc. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Since I don't know much about Mockingbird, I'm one of the people that actually prefers Jewel to Mockingbird for this boxset. However, that might change when I find more out about the character.

Mockingbird started out as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and didn't really have any superpowers. She was an expert at fighting with metal staves and various martial arts, though. She and Hawkeye got married right before the Secret Wars in the early 80's. She and Hawkeye founded the West Coast branch of the Avengers, but she divorced Hawkeye after she was raped by Phantom Rider and Clint didn't believe her. Later in the series she supported him when he was being alienated by the rest of the team. I felt like they were getting back together when she was killed by Mephisto (saving Clint's life, I might add). Hawkeye has always carried some guilt with him where she's concerned.

OOps, You beat me to it, Fo Shizzle. I guess that would've been easier. LOL

Edited by Chazwinski

I'm familiar enough with Mockingbird, but I much prefer to have a Jewel. I've always found Mockingbird to be a bit generic, and Jessica Jones is still alive; but if I could have had Mockingbird over the Beast in the set, I would have been happy to see her. I guess that makes me in the minority on two of the boxset choices.

Mockingbird started out as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and didn't really have any superpowers. She was an expert at fighting with metal staves and various martial arts, though. She and Hawkeye got married right before the Secret Wars in the early 80's. She and Hawkeye founded the West Coast branch of the Avengers, but she divorced Hawkeye after she was raped by Phantom Rider and Clint didn't believe her. Later in the series she supported him when he was being alienated by the rest of the team. I felt like they were getting back together when she was killed by Mephisto (saving Clint's life, I might add). Hawkeye has always carried some guilt with him where she's concerned.

OOps, You beat me to it, Fo Shizzle. I guess that would've been easier. LOL

Thanks Chazwinski and Fo Shizzle. I love getting Marvel history lessons, haha.

I'm familiar enough with Mockingbird, but I much prefer to have a Jewel. I've always found Mockingbird to be a bit generic, and Jessica Jones is still alive; but if I could have had Mockingbird over the Beast in the set, I would have been happy to see her. I guess that makes me in the minority on two of the boxset choices.

bite your tounge!