UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Remakes

Trekker 42

Today I was watching the original King Kong because I had nothing to do and I started thinking about remakes and how much worse they are than the originals for example:

King Kong: The remake was way too long.

Godzilla: The remake would have been good IF they had called it anything BUT Godzilla. That was no Godzilla. In fact, TOHO has adapted him into their monster gallery and called him Zilla. He fought Godzilla in Final Wars and Godzilla whooped his ass in ten seconds flat. Shortest fight in the movie.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Eew. Just eew. I mean, why did Johnny Depp look like Michael Jackson and why, oh why, wasn't he the kindly character that we saw in the original.

Mighty Joe Young: Eh, the remake was OK, but the original was an underestimated masterpiece that simply did not stand up to Kong but was amazing alone.

Planet of the Apes: please don't make me go into deails here.

Of course, there is the rare remake that in some ways trumps the original in pure entertainment or was at least on par such as:

The Mummy

Poseidon

Scarface

War of the Worlds

Thre are also films due for a remake like:

Frankenstein

So what do you guys think about remakes? What's the best remake? (The Mummy here) Worst? (Godzilla for me) and what movies do you think need to be remade?

Edited by Trekker 42

I try not to compare originals/remakes, and appreciate them as their own movie. It leaves no expectations. But I can also understand it being difficult not to compare/contrast.

From what I recall, Willy Wonka wasn't kindly in either adaptations, he was always kind of a jerk. The thing that bugged me most about that movie was Charlie... they made him too good. It always appealed to me that the original Charlie made a mistake, but was forgiven when he showed remorse. The new Charlie was this "golden child" that did no wrong.... a bit unrealistic to me.

At any rate, I think The Mummy was the best, although that story is pretty different from the original. The worst would be Poseidon (Adventure). The new one was so boring to me for some reason.

Edited by Joe Hill

Best remake: The Thing

Runners up: Maltese Falcon, Evil Dead 2, the Ring, Magnificent Seven, the Departed

Worst remake: Day of the Dead :sick:

Runners up: Psycho, A Perfect Murder (trying to remake Hitchcock=big mistake), Ladykillers (even the Coens aren't perfect)

--edit: FYI Trekker, Frankenstein got a crappy, more book-accurate remake in the 1990s. Kenneth Branaugh was is in it, and I believe Robert Deniro was the monster.--

Edited by karamazov80

Rule of thumb...

Anything they remake will suck compared to the original... with VERY FEW exceptions.

T.

I think Hollywood should complete the 'Michael Caine trilogy'......The Italian Job , & Get Carter were apparently destroyed.

I confess that I could never bring myself to watch either re-make but I really look forward to...... Zulu. Perhaps Clint could direct & we could have the film slanted towards the Zulu-perspective of the battle a la 'Flags of ...Letters from Iwo Jima'. :)

Edited by buttheadsmate

I've read Karamazov80 's posts about 'The Texas Chain-Saw Massacre' with a certain wry smile on my face this evening. I've spent 6 hours out in the piss-pouring rain today ,fencing off a field on my farm which entails using my chain-saw. If they were to re-make TCSM & film it here, it would be hilarious. Nobody would die,nobody would even get cut because by the time anybody got the chain-saw started ...everybody would've legged it. :yes:

I need a new spark-plug / chain-saw :angry:

Best remake: The Thing

Runners up: Maltese Falcon, Evil Dead 2, the Ring, Magnificent Seven, the Departed

Worst remake: Day of the Dead :sick:

Runners up: Psycho, A Perfect Murder (trying to remake Hitchcock=big mistake), Ladykillers (even the Coens aren't perfect)

--edit: FYI Trekker, Frankenstein got a crappy, more book-accurate remake in the 1990s. Kenneth Branaugh was is in it, and I believe Robert Deniro was the monster.--

Perhaps I should have said derseving of a good remake. I wonder ow this Wolf Man remake will be?

I add another to my list of needed remakes: Rodan. If anyone needs a new movie it's him.

Just saw a movie today that got an unnecessary, but pretty decent remake, IMO (from a hack director, no less): Red Dragon. The movie I saw was Manhunter, with William (CSI) Peterson in the Ed Norton role as Will Graham, and the great Brian Cox as Hannibal "Lecktor." The blind woman (Emily Watson in the remake) was played by a very young Joan Allen. I'm just realizing that Cox and Allen were both in the 2nd Bourne movie together.

I also read news last week that Highlander might be getting a remake soon. When I was in middle school, I loved that movie, in all its 80s glory. Great soundtrack, too. Does not need a remake.

Edited by karamazov80