UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Indiana Jones: KotCS Discussion *SPOILERS*

Joe Hill

Personally, I thought it was a wonderful addition to the Indiana Jones series. Indy is back. He may have aged (both physically and mentally), but he is still the same Indy. I loved how Marion was back too, stronger than ever. Shia LeBeuf's Mutt Williams was a little different, but necessary to show the difference between the 30's culture and 50's culture.

I read that so many people were disappointed by this movie, while others thought it was awesome. I left very satisfied. It was different, sure, but it didn't stop me from enjoying it. There were a few parts that were a little ridiculous (vine swinging) and out of place (fridge explosion). But there were other scenes that I felt were excellent (quicksand). Like any other Indiana Jones movie, you have to suspend belief just for a while.

What did you guys think? What were your favorite and least favorite parts?

Just adding that I enjoyed the movie. It was exactly what I was expecting from an Indy movie. The story touching on storys and objects that the majority of ppl will know or have heard passing refrence to so it seems grounded.

I also enjoyed that Indy was shown to be older and with that not as agile are adept as he was before.

was anyone a little dissaponted with the ending scene?

oh and the vine swinging scene was really ridiculous the whole time i was thinking of spiderman meets gorge of the jungle. :lol:

was anyone a little dissaponted with the ending scene?

oh and the vine swinging scene was really ridiculous the whole time i was thinking of spiderman meets gorge of the jungle. :lol:

I would've liked Shia to actually put on the fedora. Ah well.

There were a few complaints here and there such as the vine swinging and the fact that they killed off Henry Jones Sr. Now Sean Connery will never have a chance to appear in an Indy film again unless they do a ghost thing or something. Other than that, it was amazing. I liked the ending scene with the skeletons forming one alien and I thought that the crystal skeletons looked so damn cool in the throne room. Also, the "big damn ants" made the best creepy creatures of the Indiana Jones films since the snakes in the well of souls.

The big surprise for me was that he got married. WTF? Indy got married? Holy crap!

So what's next for Indy in #5? Excalibur maybe? What are your theories?

Excalibur, or the spear of longinus, or atlantis, or the norse gods, or maybe... just maybe...

THE LOST MINIMATES!... :woot:

Secret prototype minimates designed by AA that were never released. Legend has it that if they are found, bought, and brought back to the creators, they will make whatever minimate you want.

And Indy just happens to be a fan. ;)

Just got back from seeing this and I'm kinda torn... I loved the first half of the movie but the end was hokey and Indy did nothing for the later half of the movie except give us some exposition!

It was also too much of an ensemble piece... I want to go to an Indiana Jones movie to see Indy do his thing... not a collection of tag alongs.

There were some great moments but did we really need the vine swinging nonsense or Ray Winstones character who's sole purpose was a plot device so the Russians could follow Indy... I also felt it was a little too 'looney tunes' at times, I'm willing to suspend disbelief but In places it was asking a little too much...

It was a nice 'tidying the loose ends' piece and really hope they don't do a 5th one and should leave well alone now...

T.

Yeah, it didn't feel as...uh, I dunno--epic as the others. It seemed almost as if this kind of thing is what Indy does in his spare time. I think it's because it didn't really focus on him as much as it focused it on the supporting characters.

Geeknote: Did anyone notice just how incredibly similar Irina's death was to what the God Machine did in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? :blink:

And yes, I agree with everyone else: the vine swinging (and Prairie dogs) carried that Lucas humor hokiness. And I don't say that flatteringly. <_<

The big damn ants, as well as the refridgerator explosion scene were both amazing, inventive, well executing scenes--two of my favorite moments in any movie in all time. However, they both seemed rather random, out-of-place, and unexplained in KotCS. The ants, while being a sort of staple of Indy films, didn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean, what the heckinda ants do that??

The ending went too fast. The wedding, the weird little scene with the gust of wind, and then the credits...and how did they get back to civilization? Mexican music in Peru? How is it that Indy, after getting out of the fridge and looking at ground zero, didn't immediately become one huge radioactive lesion? You can't just "wash someone down" after something like that...ah, plot holes. :confused:

All this said, it was worth seeing. I did like it--even after weeks of praying to the heavens,

"Please, PLEASE God: don't let it be

aliens.

"

Edited by Alpheon

I thought it was okay, but nowhere near the caliber of the other 3 films. To much CGI for an Indy flick. Swinging on vines with monkeys? Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. :nono:

I liked the aged Indiana, the 50's setting and the nod to ROTLA. Didn't like the whole alien thing (I prefer the religious artifacts personally), Spalko or the conveniant ending. Just my rant!

Geeknote: Did anyone notice just how incredibly similar Irina's death was to what the God Machine did in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? :blink:

I love that game with a passion.

And thanks for all the heads up guys. I probably won't go see it, and if I do then I'll know what to expect...

..sob, damn you lucas... damn you and your freakin space fantasies

I thought it was okay, but nowhere near the caliber of the other 3 films. To much CGI for an Indy flick. Swinging on vines with monkeys? Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. :nono:

I liked the aged Indiana, the 50's setting and the nod to ROTLA. Didn't like the whole alien thing (I prefer the religious artifacts personally), Spalko or the conveniant ending. Just my rant!

The movie is about religious artifacts. The Mayans worshiped the aliens; therefore the crystal skulls are religious in nature. The only difference is that the Mayan beliefs aren't mainstream like Christianity. But they are both religions.

I thought it was a bit weird for the alien to come alive at the end. I thought it was cooler to see the crystal skeleton come alive.

I did like how Spalko died.... she got exactly what she wanted.

The movie is about religious artifacts. The Mayans worshiped the aliens; therefore the crystal skulls are religious in nature. The only difference is that the Mayan beliefs aren't mainstream like Christianity. But they are both religions.

I thought it was a bit weird for the alien to come alive at the end. I thought it was cooler to see the crystal skeleton come alive.

I did like how Spalko died.... she got exactly what she wanted.

The alien looked pissed at her. I wonder why? Maybe it's because she was screaming at him to stop and he looked at her like "this is what you wished for. Take it."

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

And the Russians along with Spalko made for my favorite villains since Toht. They were more fun than Mola Ram, more menacing than Donovan, and much less annoying than Belloq. Overall, a cool bunch of kids.

And Alpheon, to answer your question: These kind of ants do that. (scroll down to see the ants in the column o death.) And the big damn ants were not the only random out of place things in the Indiana Jones series: the rats in the knight's tomb were from out of nowhere and pointless without Henry Sr. there. The bugs in Temple of Doom were also kinda random; they just needed something to be like the snakes of the Well of Souls. That's the reason for the rats in Last Crusade and the Army Ants in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. So, in conclusion, army ants are not the only random thing in the Indiana Jones series.

I liked this movie a lot. A good experience and fits well with all the other movies.

As everyone mentioned, the audience groaned when Mutt did the tarzan vine swinging. That was really stupid and poorly done.

The plot was very stupid, but all of the Indy movies have had weak plots. In fact, I'm still not certain what happened or why. But it was fun to watch!

It's no Iron Man, but a good movie.

It was an alright movie, but not my favorite by any means. With all the soldiers using walkie-talkies instead of guns, and the damn Ewoks everywhere, it felt kind of off compared to the others in the series.

Kidding aside, as I said before, it was ok, but perhaps my hatred of all things Shia Labeouf tainted it a bit for me. The movie seemed to revolve more around him than Indy. If he had put that hat on at the end, I'd have yelled bullshit right there in the middle of the theater. Of course, George Lucas is considering having Shia star in the next sequel, with Indy playing more of a cameo role.

I enjoyed it, but had problems with it, too. The Mutt character was not needed and did nothing but leave room for future sequels without Harrison Ford.

I enjoyed it, but had problems with it, too. The Mutt character was not needed and did nothing but leave room for future sequels without Harrison Ford.

Then what would they call it?!? <_<

Mutt Jones and the, "movie without Harrison ford!"

I also felt it was a little too 'looney tunes' at times, I'm willing to suspend disbelief but In places it was asking a little too much...

I always felt the 'looney tunes' aspect was a necessary part of an Indy film, like the beginning of Temple of Doom with the diamond and antidote being kicked around.

I loved the film, thought it was excellent. To be honest I hope they don't make any more sequels, and especially not a sequel with just the kid. If they do I won't watch it.

just saw the movie. got to say, I liked it. Sure the aliens were weird but I remember thinking as a kid that it would be cool if Indy was part of the Roswell crash. I thought Shia LaBeouf carried is own, or he was better in this then he was in Transformers. I don't know if he can carry the mantle that is Indiana but I would give him a shot.

I loved the part where mutt comes back with the huge snake and throws it to Indy! that was great. I was happy to see Marion Ravenwood back again, she was the best indy girl. it would have been wired to though some 20 something girl at indy.

well played Jones, well played.

Edited by maxcarnage