UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC animated films: Most-Wanted

MiKeKinD

NOTE: I was up Reeeeeeally late when i posted this, so i apologize if i ramble a bit. I just needed to get this out.

It seems the DC animated flicks are gonna keep on rollin', but frankly, I thought the "Death of Superman" movie was awful.

I blame it on the absurd voice casting.

I dream of seeing more movies done in the style of Bruce timm's previous animated ventures, Like Return of the Joker and Justice league unlimited. I picture a beautiful world where Kevin conroy is Batman, where everything is angular, and where the Flash once spent christmas with Ultra-Humanite.

So my question is: Which comic book storyline do you want to see on direct-to-dvd release next?

For me, it's a tie between Hush and Superman/Batman:Public enemies.

(I would have picked Knightfall, but Timm doesn't seem to handle Bane all that well. He debuted as a luchador muscle guy, then reappeared sadomasochist leather guy...not your best work there, Mr.Timm)

I actually liked "the Death of Superman" far more than the comic, but I also thought that the voice acting was a little wonky. This probably has a lot to do with our familiarity with the traditional Timm-verse voices, though. On the other hand, I thought the voices on the "New Frontier" were terrific for the most part, so maybe the ones on "Death" were just bad.

Regarding movies I would like to see, I am actually getting my dream film in the Judas contract, as the Wolfman/Perez run on New Teen Titans is probably my favorite DC run, period. Apart from that, though, I would like to see a take on Batman: Year One, or maybe the Killing Joke, so they won't have much overlap with any existing movies (since Batman Begins seemed to be directly inspired by Year One at various points). I also wouldn't mind seeing something looking at Barry Allen's trial over killing Professor Zoom, a story surrounding the 1980s Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League (Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Justice League Antarctica, etc.), something on the "hard traveling heroes" of Green Lantern and Green Arrow, or something focused on the original Justice Society of America. . .if they ever developed a Planetary film (a series would be even better), then I would probably just up and die after that.

Wow, where do I start??!!?

My 2 favorite DC characters are Batman and Green Lantern. With that being said, I'll start there!

I'd like to see a Bruce Wayne: Murderer and Green Lantern: Brightest Day movie.

Bruce Wayne: Murderer

-For those not familar with the story, I won't ruin anything, but the story focuses on Bruce Wayne being accused of Murder and the Great Dark Detective trying to prove his own innocence. In the mean time there are some extremely heated confrontations with Robin and Nightwing, so much as to you really don't know if it's true or not. It was one of my favorite, recent, comic memories and it focus more on the character of Bruce/Bats more than a lot of other stories so I'd love to see it in motion!

Green Lantern: The New Kid

-I'm a "new age" GL fan. Never liked or followed Hal, but when Kyle entered the picture I picked up the book from day one and GL became one of my all time favorite heroes. I would love to see the fall of Hal, the Rise of Parallex, and the New GL Kyle Rayner get his day in the spotlight. Everytime they make a show they leave ol Kyle out. They chose John for JLU and Hal for New Frontier, at least they gave Kyle a cameo on the end of JLU. Anyway, if any movie would gain by translating to animation it would be GL with all the bright colors and unlimted design possibilities!

Oh, and for the record, I loved Death of Superman. Haven't watched New Frontier yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

neo

Regarding movies I would like to see, I am actually getting my dream film in the Judas contract, as the Wolfman/Perez run on New Teen Titans is probably my favorite DC run, period.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news then. The Judas Contract DVD has been put on indefinite hold. There's concern the current Titans fanbase won't 'get it' and it won't sell. This has been confirmed by Marv Wolfman.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news then. The Judas Contract DVD has been put on indefinite hold. There's concern the current Titans fanbase won't 'get it' and it won't sell. This has been confirmed by Marv Wolfman.

No kidding. I thought it was next up after the Batman DVD.

Sucks big time.

the absolute best comic miniseries ever (well, maximiniseries) Batman: the Long Halloween. This tops the list on best comic series ever in my book, followed closely by prety much everything Loeb and Sale, Kingdom Come and Marvels.

After adapting Long Halloween, Kingdom Come would be cool

Yeah, I second Kingdom Come, that would be an outstanding cinematic experience. However, as much as Long Halloween is one of the best written Batman stories every, I would still prefer Bruce Wayne: Murderer. I just think it would be a very cool story to tell with a lot of great dialogue and intrigue. neo

Hush, Kingdom Come, or Word's Finest would be cool. I haven't read The Long Halloween, but since you guys like it so much I'm gonna make it my next Batman TPB purchase.

I would absolutely lose it if they made a Superman/Batman: Public Enemies movie. I freakin' LOVE the art of Ed McGuiness in the Superman/Batman books that he did! The movie would have to be in that style.

As for the Superman: Doomsday movie, I agree that the voices weren't that great. I can't believe that nobody mentioned those jacked-up, way-too-high cheekbones on Superman. I just couldn't stop looking at them. The voices I could tolerate, but not the cheeks. I can't comprehend how anyone at DC could let that one slide...

Hush, Kingdom Come, or Word's Finest would be cool. I haven't read The Long Halloween, but since you guys like it so much I'm gonna make it my next Batman TPB purchase.

Believe me, you will not regret it. It it the best Batman comic, if not the best comic, ever.

Believe me, you will not regret it. It it the best Batman comic, if not the best comic, ever.

To provide a counterpoint, I like Loeb and Sale's Batman work on the Long Halloween and Dark Victory a lot (as well as their Superman for All Seasons). However, I wouldn't say that it's the best comic story ever. I personally don't think it can touch Year One (which Halloween is the spiritual sequel to), Dark Knight Returns, or Killing Joke, as far as Batman stories go. Just don't want someone to get their hopes up too high, only to be disappointed.

Its definitely good reading, though.

To provide a counterpoint, I like Loeb and Sale's Batman work on the Long Halloween and Dark Victory a lot (as well as their Superman for All Seasons). However, I wouldn't say that it's the best comic story ever. I personally don't think it can touch Year One (which Halloween is the spiritual sequel to), Dark Knight Returns, or Killing Joke, as far as Batman stories go. Just don't want someone to get their hopes up too high, only to be disappointed.

Its definitely good reading, though.

Ah... See I haven't read Killing Joke or DKR, but I think the library copy of Year One had a few pages missing because I was left utterly confused. It seemed to be lacking an ending, so I really didn't like it. Now I need to read Dark Victory.

Also, there is nothing that Loeb and Sale have done together that isn't good. Just look at Spider-Man Blue and Daredevil: Yellow. I didn't like Daredevil until I had read that. In fact, I normally don't like DC the only exceptions to that rule being Alex Ross and the Loeb/Sale team.

Yeah, Dark Victory is the sequel to Long Halloween, and while not as good as "Halloween," it's very good. The main drawback is that it tries to bring in Batman's rogue gallery, and that seems forced at times.

• 2 months later...

oh gee, where to begin.

The dark knight returns would be kinda cool, and Hush as well.

Kingdom come would definitely be a must.

maybe one of the, Crisis of infinite earth's also

(and marvel 1602 would be cool, If only Timm would do marvel)

oh gee, where to begin.

The dark knight returns would be kinda cool, and Hush as well.

Kingdom come would definitely be a must.

maybe one of the, Crisis of infinite earth's also

(and marvel 1602 would be cool, If only Timm would do marvel)

Hell yes on 1602 if he'd do it.

Anyway, what they must do is the Batman-Vampire trilogy. That would kick so much ass.

Gotham Knights trailer here.

Never did enjoy manga/anime style cartoons, but this looks cool to me.

Which section is produced by Timm.

(And thank God they got Kevin conroy again yipee! The man has defined Batman for many generations)