UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Oh, crap.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, ToyFair is important for several reasons. First and foremost, to get information on the fate of minimates. 2ndly, to see new Minimates coming out this year, along with other toys (always my favorite part) and 3rdly, the 2008 NY ToyFair minimate. Allow me to be the first to go on the begging list. :P

the 2008 NY ToyFair minimate.

There's a 2008 minimate?

One can only assume that 2008 will follow suite.

Know what I'd like to see actually? A pink blank. Or purple. Something overly the top girly. A promo mate that can unequivocally be called female. Like white with pink swirls. Oh that'd be awesome.

I

Is anyone else feeling this anxious? worried? I mean I love all minimates, but Marvel is what drug me in...and without it I will be pretty damn sad.

While it is true the marvel line drew most of us in and was our favorite for so long, I find my self more excited about the other lines. DC is great; detail, accessories, character choice, it is such a well done line i find I look forward to that line more then any news about marvel. the BSG, star trek, BTTF, and 24 have all been (to me at least) surprisingly good and well done lines. I have not been impressed with the marvel lines to date, sure Thor was cool and I love the spiderman 3 line, and the TM and agent had an a$$ load of accessories and great deal, but besides that what has marvel really done. and while the next 2 wave do look really great, I am reserving judgment until I have them.

Now don't get me wrong I love my marvel mates and will be sad, nay crushed if they stop making them, but with the plethora of other great lines out there I think I will make it through. I hope I will make it through.

The fact that they're going out of their way not to say anything tells me that something is up. I mean we've all tried emailing, I'm sure, and every plead for comment in the numerous threads here have most likely been read by Chuck and/or Matt. We've even been told not to hold our breaths on comments in the next Q&A. All that tells me that we have a big announcement coming soon. Whether its good or bad has yet to be seen. It could be that by giving up some aspects of the Marvel license they've gotten more play with other aspects. It could be a combination of resources like the DCD/AA partnership. It could be the flat out end of Marvel minimates. It could be anything really.

I'd like to think they'd have given us some indication if this was something they saw coming, so I do still hold hope, but to be honest, the longer we go without any information tells me that we are going to see some big change.

As far as the earlier proposed alternate license, maybe they've worked out something with Hasbro. Who would be excited to see the Marvel license drop in favor of Star Wars? Or GI Joe? Me, as much as I'd like to see either one, I'd rather see more Marvel. There's too many people left untouched for us to move on to wave after wave of army men and ninjas.

It's possible they haven't said anything because there's nothing to say yet. Granted, if there were no change in the situation with Marvel mates, it seems likely that they would have said something to put this wild speculation to rest.

Based on the information we have, I'm operating under the assumption that: yes, the entire Marvel license is in question; no, they're not certain they'll be able to hang onto the rights for minimates; yes, they're doing everything in their power to keep the license. From my experience meeting them at Comic Con last year, the DST gang loves these little guys as much, if not more than we do. I'm sure they're fighting tooth and nail to keep this line alive, and simply don't have a solid answer for us right this second.

But, yeah, being in the dark is frustrating as hell... ;)

my wallet and i are just enjoying the ONLY lull there's been in what feels like such a long time [sure, it was a flury of activity after an even longer lull a year or so back, but lately it's felt like "feast or famine, man"].

i do hope there's more Marvel Minimates in the good old 2" scale, and i'm glad DC and the others are doing solidly enough to continue on.

As far as the earlier proposed alternate license, maybe they've worked out something with Hasbro. Who would be excited to see the Marvel license drop in favor of Star Wars? Or GI Joe? Me, as much as I'd like to see either one, I'd rather see more Marvel. There's too many people left untouched for us to move on to wave after wave of army men and ninjas.

With waves 19 and 20, they pretty much have all that I want. I think I would be fine with the dropping of Marvel as long as its for Star Wars. I would be pi$$ed if they decided to do GI Joe instead of Marvel. I'm not a Joe fan

With waves 19 and 20, they pretty much have all that I want. I think I would be fine with the dropping of Marvel as long as its for Star Wars. I would be pi$$ed if they decided to do GI Joe instead of Marvel. I'm not a Joe fan

See, with me, its the opposite. I'm a completist to an extreme. If you start a universe, I need everyone from the universe. Star Wars would be cool, but if they went the way that the figure line has gone, where you start getting obscure and concept art figures, then I see it getting old fast. GI Joe would be a nice box set, but I don't need the 3 million specialty Joes.

I just want my Marvel Universe, with Kraven, Vulture, Demogoblin, Gambit, Deadpool, Captain Britain, Psylocke, Morph, Sabretooth, Norman Osborn, Jack o'Lantern, Carrion, Jackal, Winter Soldier, Young Avengers, Ares, Hercules, Black Widow, Black Panther, Nova, Gamora, Star Lord, Ronan, Drax, Wolfsbane, Jubilee, Thunderbolts, New Warriors, the Hood, Wrecking Crew, and so, so, so many other characters who have been overlooked over the years. And don't get me started on the Ultimate Universe.

See, with me, its the opposite. I'm a completist to an extreme. If you start a universe, I need everyone from the universe. Star Wars would be cool, but if they went the way that the figure line has gone, where you start getting obscure and concept art figures, then I see it getting old fast. GI Joe would be a nice box set, but I don't need the 3 million specialty Joes.

I just want my Marvel Universe, with Kraven, Vulture, Demogoblin, Gambit, Deadpool, Captain Britain, Psylocke, Morph, Sabretooth, Norman Osborn, Jack o'Lantern, Carrion, Jackal, Winter Soldier, Young Avengers, Ares, Hercules, Black Widow, Black Panther, Nova, Gamora, Star Lord, Ronan, Drax, Wolfsbane, Jubilee, Thunderbolts, New Warriors, the Hood, Wrecking Crew, and so, so, so many other characters who have been overlooked over the years. And don't get me started on the Ultimate Universe.

I agree completely. BUT if they drop Marvel and decide to do a Hasbro license, I would rather have Star Wars

I'm not sure where the GI Joe/Star Wars license rumors started, but it seems illogical to me that Hasbro would release their hold on GI Joe OR Star Wars, but would attempt to keep DST from making Marvel product....

I agree that it is unlikely that Hasbro would release their hold on anything. I was just thinking that if they're gaining a big license to replace Marvel, Star Wars and GI Joe would be pretty big themselves. Given that if DST is losing the Marvel license, it would be due to Hasbro's influence, I just thought it would be an interesting turn of events.

It won't happen, but as long as we're being optimistic, we can at least toss out "possibilities" right?

This is exactly how DST acted before they dropped the BuffyAngel line...

If there aren't any more Marvel Minimates I'll be so pissed I'll lead an army of Zombie-mates to take down DST personally :tongue:

There are just too many characters who should be made before the end, and I'm pretty sure DST knows that. The recent Marvel waves have started to pick up, and each is cooler than the next. It would really be a shame to see this end.

What I meant to say was that DST started taking on a bunch of new 6" figure licenses(Stargate, BSG, etc...) then it looked like they were going to put more into a new wave a buffy figures then BAMB, it was over. They never said anything, or made a formal statement until months later after everyone had already figured it out, for the most part they avoided all questions and ignored all they could. All I am saying is that DST is picking up a whole bunch of new licenses and coming out with an all new wave with highly wanted figures. Hopefully this time around that won't be the case.

I'm not sure where the GI Joe/Star Wars license rumors started, but it seems illogical to me that Hasbro would release their hold on GI Joe OR Star Wars, but would attempt to keep DST from making Marvel product....

I agree that it is unlikely that Hasbro would release their hold on anything. I was just thinking that if they're gaining a big license to replace Marvel, Star Wars and GI Joe would be pretty big themselves. Given that if DST is losing the Marvel license, it would be due to Hasbro's influence, I just thought it would be an interesting turn of events.

It won't happen, but as long as we're being optimistic, we can at least toss out "possibilities" right?

:) I'm not trying to squish any potential optimism or possibilities, I just thought it odd that this rumor was floating out there, considering Hasbro is the key player with all three licenses mentioned. Transformers would fall into this same group unfortunately.

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Maybe losing the broad license is a good thing for 'mates. Who knows - renegotiating the contract based only on Minimates could allow a 2.5" Marvel fig or Ghost Rider's bike to be made.

(How's that for optimism & possibilities? :D)

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Maybe losing the broad license is a good thing for 'mates. Who knows - renegotiating the contract based only on Minimates could allow a 2.5" Marvel fig or Ghost Rider's bike to be made.

(How's that for optimism & possibilities? :D)

Oh dear, it's obviously all gone to his head.

Can someone get a mod to call the men in white coats please?

Jo

who thinks its so sad when that happens. He seemed so normal to me.

I'd say that DST is keeping quiet because they are still trying to wrangle a smaller license for Marvel Mates( and perhaps Select) and sensibly doesn't want to say anything that might screwup their chances either way til it's done.

T.

I like the thought that if, if Marvel dies, that opens up room for other smaller lines like, oh, Serenity or Terminator.

Truly, I think lobsterman and Timbo are dead on: that we're probably not hearing anything because DST doesn't know the answers yet themselves. Still desperately negotiating for their MiniMates or some such.

The kind of activity you saw when the Buffy line stopped is usually telling of just such a situation, that the manufacturer wants to keep making product, but their license, sometimes after a period of negotiation, is pulled.

Ultimately, we know the DST crew love MiniMates. If they can't hold on to Marvel, they're going to try something else. As Toy Fair nears, it only makes sense that they will save any news and big announcements for that event.