UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Oh, crap.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given Hasbrofs hold on the Marvel license, it would not be impossible for them to wrangle away the 2 scale license. With the growing popularity, it wouldnft be unheard of for them to root out the competition, which would be the more articulate Minimate. On the other hand, if Hasbro were to secure the license, it could mean a partnership in much the same way as DC Directfs Minimate line. This could also mean an end to the licensing restrictions, such as the 2 height limit. A partnership with Hasbro could also make for better sales, as Hasbro is a bigger name than Diamond Select Toys, which could make for a stronger market reaction and possibly lead to more units on shelves in more outlets. Of course, on the reverse side of the coin, if the license is indeed lost, then the line could just be shelved, never to see the light of day again, which would be the worst case scenario, and probably the most likely one.

I'm sure DST doesn't plan on going down easy on this, however I have to agree with the guys at MMHQ with their assesment.

Hasbro would be wise to open it up like DC Direct is doing, not only for competition, but the solid fan base is already developed here and could easily be expanded upon with the other Hasbro licences as well as their ability to get it to mass market.

• 2 weeks later...

Their deal with Marvel Select was to produce a figure a month for three years. While they didn't hit the one-per-month mark, right now, if you inlcude the yet-to-be-released figures of Thor and Hulk, they're at 35. I hope 36 is the rumored SHIELD Agent / AIM Agent 2-pack.

As for MiniMates, I agree with what's been said above about it not being up to DST. They're not "giving up" Marvel -- it seems entirely up to Marvel whether or not they'll grant a license extension, and how much they'll charge for that license. Hasbro could lean on Marvel not to allow this, which would really suck.

I don't have much hope in Hasbro carrying the MiniMate banner... it's a smaller niche market, and they're already pretty over-extended with all of their channels... movie figures, Icons, Marvel Legends, the new Spider-Man line coming out, the 3 3/4" figure line to be announced, the 6" 2-pack series that will be announced at Toy Fair, SHS... I really hope DST can fanagle hanging onto this line, b/c Hasbro wouldn't touch it, even if they leaned on Marvel to nix it (either outright, or by making the license so prohibitively expensive that DST couldn't justify extending it).

And let's face it... to echo what has been stated above, Marvel does not want to piss off Hasbro. They know who butters their bread. Truckloads of cash from that partnership. Of course this is all speculation, and maybe Hasbro doesn't care about this license, and maybe Marvel thinks it's really cool and can see the value in competing in a market where DC has a lot of visibility as well, and the margins are pretty low for everyone anyway.

If the new issue of previews hits and there are no new marvel mates showing, that means nothing. They have always had ridiculous gaps between marvel releases. Id actually be suprised to see new ones in previews before being anounced elsewhere like they usually do. Also, my head is itchy.

The only minimates in this issue of previews is the Silence of the Lambs set and the BSG:Razor case...not surprised and I totally dont expect to find anything surprising in there this close to toyfair...all of our questions will be answered in one way or another within the next 19 days I am sure

Jeff of the Miniacs

heh.

Hey minijeff, any hint in Previews on whether Lecter's mask will make it into the boxset?

the text in the ad says that it is there...at action-figure.com they have a pic that is the one with him in the sraight jacket but it looks like the nonmasked fave was photoshopped on it....so I am still not sure what to make of it, I guess it will be another issue we will have to wait and see what they show at toyfair...sigh still 18 days away yet :)

Jeff of the Miniacs

the text in the ad says that it is there...at action-figure.com they have a pic that is the one with him in the sraight jacket but it looks like the nonmasked fave was photoshopped on it....so I am still not sure what to make of it, I guess it will be another issue we will have to wait and see what they show at toyfair...sigh still 18 days away yet :)

On a related note, the action-figure.com pic has the following text:

NOTE: Some Items subject to Final Approval

And for those who want to see it:

http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?o...ex&id=84397