UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 21 and 22

tookytoo5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey tookytoo5, i know you are new, but you should have put this in the wave 21 and 22 thread you already started.

Waves are three sets and a variant set, not four and a variant set.

Those are some cool ideas, but an all villian wave would not float, i believe we already got word from DST that it would not happen. still though, some fairly good ideas.

There are so many great spiderman villains who we still don't have I don't think we need any more venoms for a while and we already have a carnage so if we are gonna get some spiderman villians I think we need to get like Lizard, Kraven, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

for the new sets i would like to see

Winter Soldier/Red Skull

Falcon/Black Widow

Union Jack/Captain Britain

with the variant being Bucky

Deadpool/Sabretooth(jim lee version)

Gambit/Psylocke

Medusa/Wizard

with the variant being Medusa in her Evil garb from way back

and a five pack featuring the Inhumans

Black Bolt, Gorgon, Triton, Karnak, and Crystal

I would also like to see these in a lineup

Stardust/ Beta Ray Bill

Firelord/ Air-Walker

Nova(herald)/ Terrax

Red Shift/ Fallen One

Quasar/ Nova(new warriors)

Ronan/ Drax

Annihilus/ Blastaar

Captain Marvel/ Adam Warlock

and a four pack New warriors

Speedball, Namorita, Night Thrasher, Justice

I'll scream it until I'm blue in the face:

No. More. Characters. That. We. Already. Have.

The variants are bad enough.

Exceptions have to be made for Giant Man and Black Panther, though. How wacky is it for the first releases of these characters to be zombie variants? On a related note, you guys have probably noticed that the Defenders box set Hulk is essentially a cleaned-up zombie Hulk. . .could it be that DTS made all 3 of the "new" Zombie figures (including the Giant Man and Black Panther) anticipating a normal release in a forthcoming wave?

Exceptions have to be made for Giant Man and Black Panther, though. How wacky is it for the first releases of these characters to be zombie variants?

Fair enough. But we just got those. We don't need any more Venoms or Carnages. Rereleasing Black Suit Spidey is a great idea because of how rare he is, but there are exceptions to the rule, and lines that shouldn't be crossed. I'm sick of buying the same d@mn thing over and over again. Just give me one, definitive version, and leave it at that.

I agree with your sentiment, though this issue makes me realize how it frustrates me that we sometimes get less iconic variants before we get classic figures. Salient examples here being Archangel (though I plan on getting the chase and making a classic Angel), Astonishing Kitty and Beast, "new" JSAers like Stargirl, etc. I understand that DST wants to mix the current with the old-school, but one of the reasons that I like Minimates so much is because they are iconic distillations of characters. When you get newer versions of characters, or variations released first (or alone), it takes away from that somewhat. And what's with making regular Punisher, Symbiote Spidey, and probably the most commonly seen Starbuck exclusives or chase figs? These are popular and "iconic" takes on these characters, not obscure variations. . .

I could probably do without ever seeing another Wolverine or Cyclops Minimate released, though. . .

I'm sick of buying the same d@mn thing over and over again. Just give me one, definitive version, and leave it at that.

Don't buy it then.

Simple as.

I agree with Dan. Or, if a new, better version of a character comes out, buy it and sell off or trade your older one.

Also, may I suggest to tookytoo5 that you rename the title of this thread. I'd recommend:

Wave 21 and 22 - Speculation

or

Wave 21 and 22 - Wish Lists

Truthfully, I'd love to have a Minimate Jim Lee/90s toon version of all the X-Men at some point.

The Iceman and Wolverine's we got are good enough to pass as them. Rogue is close, just needs a jacket. And the upcoming Archangel is perfect. Actually, it'd be cool if they did like the New Avengers and Astonishing X-Men four packs and created a "Blue Team" and "Gold Team" 4-pack thing...

Blue Team:

Cyclops

Beast

Gambit

Psylocke

Gold Team:

Storm

Jean Grey

Bishop

Nightcrawler

Yes, we've gotten versions of a number of these characters already, but these would be the best and honestly last versions of characters like Cyclops and Storm they'd need to make.

I also however agree we need non-zombie based versions of Giant Man, Wasp, and Black Panther.

Ugh. No offense, but somebody call the waaahmbulance. An updated Iron Man is a good idea, as would other characters that have had other outfits. (Jim Lee Cyclops, anyone?) Now, when you get into insignificant things like Patch, you have an issue, but updating Emma Frost made a lot of sense. As was posted by another, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Voting with your dollar rather than here will get you a lot farther.

I think that they might have burned off a lot of goodwill with the goofy Daredevil and Spider-Man variants, but I don't think that means we should go on the other extreme and never re-do characters when it would be called for.

I gotta say I agree with the no more variants cry or at least bring them to a minimum. marvel could stand to take a cue from the DCD line on that note. variety really is what makes that line so atracttive

looking at all the different ben grimms I have leaves me feelling a little burnt out on variants

I gotta say I agree with the no more variants cry or at least bring them to a minimum. marvel could stand to take a cue from the DCD line on that note. variety really is what makes that line so atracttive

But we do already have 2 versions of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in the DCD line, plus we've got at least one more variant of each in the pipeline. Its not as extreme as the 20 different Wolverines or Spidermen that came out or anything, but is this line really so different? Personally, I am generally in favor of new, different characters, but I am loving the classic Batman coming out, and I would buy a Beast that doesn't look like a cat much sooner than I would buy some other forthcoming Marvel figures.

It's not the idea of doing variants that is the problem, it is the fact that the Marvel line has shown that DST doesn't know how to do variants without spilling over into excess repetition. Instead of doing different versions of a wide variety of characters, they seem have focused solely on Spiderman, the Hulk, Wolverine, the Thing, and Cyclops. The figures stand at 13 Wolverines, goddess only knows how many Spidermans (depending on if you count the exclusives like gold spidey), seven Hulks, seven Cyclops, and five Things (the last doesn't bother me as much). If I've left something out or am totally confused let me know, as that is a major possibility.

write yes or no if you like my all symbiote wave

Eh, I'm only familiar with about half of them. But a Toxin and Carnage with tentacles along with Ultie Carnage and Venom, YES!!! Add punisher venom (yes I know it was a What If, no I don't care) and Venom Thor (see last comment in parenthesis) and make the variants Richard Parker Carnage (not that hard, use a repaint, red eyes and maybe carnage hands. Labcoat too.) and Ultie Venom.

I'm sick of buying the same d@mn thing over and over again. Just give me one, definitive version, and leave it at that.

Don't buy it then.

Simple as.

It's not quite that easy though, since DST is very good about combining a retread with a new character in one package, and loose minimates are harder to find than you'd think. Sure stuckakid has a lot on their site, but the vast majority of them are in fact sold out and not actually available.

yes there are dupes of bats supey and WW but I think if you were to stand those two lines (marvel/dc) next to each other M @ what 17 waves and dc @ 6 waves you would see just as many uniuqe personalities in each line with marvel having more than double in numbers released. that sir is variant overkill

I do agree that we had some absurd Spideys and Wolverines, and I don't care for them at all. But I think making a blanket "no more variants" statement is worse. I don't see any complaints about Red Son Supes, or anyone minding that we're getting several Marty McFly or Jack Bauer figures. We got four Iron Men really close together, but nobody minds because they're all significantly different.

Rather than no more variants, I'd say no more meaningless variants. I can take having yellow Vampire, brown Vampire, Ultimate Vampire, New X-Men Vampire, X3 Vampire, and even a Logan. Each of those is significantly different enough from each other. Heck, I don't even mind that we got a "classic" yellow and an "Astonishing" yellow. But doing minor stuff like Patch, 2 civilian Logans, etc is just overkill and not needed. Even worse with Spidey.

Also keep in mind that we've seen up to plague 20 with Horrible, but only 8 with Horrific. I have little doubt that when we get to Horrific plague 20, we'll have more Werewolf by Night, Boris Karloff, and Wonder Woman 'ghosts than we might expect. But as long as they keep them significantly unique, I don't mind.

Man Thing, Man Thing, Man Thing, Man Thing, Man Thing...

With Horrible's line now focusing more on more obscure characters, MT showing up in Legion of Monsters and X-Men First class, and She-Frankenstein, what are the chances of getting an official? This would be my all time favorite. I would cry tears of joy if they did a Man-Thing.