UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Oversized Mates

hyejinx1984

So I just started picking up DC Mates, a few of which are Braniac 13, Bane and Kilowog. I thought the idea of a few select mates being oversized would be cool, but now that I have them, I'm not so sure... granted, I don't know much about DC stuff, but is Bane really THAT big? to be depicted as the same size as Kilowog? And are they FUN? You can't really mix and match since there's really only like 3 or 4 mates the same size... and they don't even really look LIKE minimates, they're getting a little too Kubrick-esque, especially the Kilowog. I dunno, what do you guys think?

I like the bigger mates. They give scale to the other 2 inchers. To answear your question, yes Bane is that big to warrant a 2.5" mate. He gets even bigger when he's pumped full of venom.

Anywho, I just wish that one day DST will be legally able to give us 2.5" Marvel characters.

Not to beat folks over the head, but it's almost like no one reads comics, just collect them because they're Minimates(not that there's anything wrong with that :P). To answer your question, yes, they're necessary, since all characters aren't the same scale in the comics. I only wish that DST gets onboard with this the next time it's renewal time for the Marvel license, to show how successful multiple scales could be for them :D As MPL and others have said, it's nice not needing to chase down the variants with this line ;)

So I just started picking up DC Mates, a few of which are Braniac 13, Bane and Kilowog. I thought the idea of a few select mates being oversized would be cool, but now that I have them, I'm not so sure... granted, I don't know much about DC stuff, but is Bane really THAT big? to be depicted as the same size as Kilowog? And are they FUN? You can't really mix and match since there's really only like 3 or 4 mates the same size... and they don't even really look LIKE minimates, they're getting a little too Kubrick-esque, especially the Kilowog. I dunno, what do you guys think?

Yes, they are fun. Just look at Bane Lantern!!!

post-1173-1190727967_thumb.jpg

Besides, all of the characters that have been done at 2.5" so far are supposed to be huge so I'm all for it.

Yes, I like the variety of scales. It's gotta make sense, though.

Bane (I hate him) is perceived as being huge by fans but he's really not supposed to be any taller than Batman, just a helluva lot more massive thanks to the Venom pumping though his veins. He's more like The Thing, not the Hulk. (THAT'S a character that needs a taller body.)

Robin should have gotten the slipper feet just like Penguin. As is he's as tall if not taller than his mentor thanks to that skirt piece at his waist.

For the most part DCD has been doing a fine job with scale options. A taller Darkseid is a must although Kirby originally drew him no larger than Superman. If the C3 Darkseid is the only one we get, I'll be satisfied (though I seriously doubt DCD will pass on that character).

As has been said in so many other other discussions, we need to get Marvel on board with this. I want Maximates, dammit, and the most compelling reason for AA to bother producing such a ginormous, articulated body is if it can be leveraged across both DC's and Marvel's respective universes. (Sentinels, Colossal Boy, Galactus, Elasti-Girl...)

Bane (I hate him) is perceived as being huge by fans but he's really not supposed to be any taller than Batman, just a helluva lot more massive thanks to the Venom pumping though his veins. He's more like The Thing, not the Hulk. (THAT'S a character that needs a taller body.)

I dunno PL. I remember around the time of Knightfall ( I hated that story) The cover where Bane breaks Bats' Back :D and he was absolutely monstrous. You could argue that's artistic licence I suppose, but I always think of Bane as freakishly huge. In the 90's Batman cartoon Bane was head and shoulders above Batman. Again not canon but if you straw polled most fans and creative types they'd probably say Bane was scarily big. Some may wince as they said it.

Robin should have gotten the slipper feet just like Penguin. As is he's as tall if not taller than his mentor thanks to that skirt piece at his waist.

With you 100% on this mate. A huge eff up by the powers that be. Especially as he was packaged with Penguin anyway.

For the most part DCD has been doing a fine job with scale options. A taller Darkseid is a must although Kirby originally drew him no larger than Superman. If the C3 Darkseid is the only one we get, I'll be satisfied (though I seriously doubt DCD will pass on that character).
This is kind of similar to what has been said about Bane. Kirby drew Darkseid in the same scale to Supes. Bigger than average but no more than that. These days Darkseid's always depicted as some being so massive he must generate a gravity field. Over the years that's become accepted by fans and creators and I'm fairly sure that's what's happened with Bane too.

As has been said in so many other other discussions, we need to get Marvel on board with this. I want Maximates, dammit, and the most compelling reason for AA to bother producing such a ginormous, articulated body is if it can be leveraged across both DC's and Marvel's respective universes. (Sentinels, Colossal Boy, Galactus, Elasti-Girl...)

The Marvel thing's not going to happen is it? If it ever did I'd happily eat what's left of Ady's hat.

It is well documented that my least fave' mate is Zombie Giant-Man although my prize for the Photo Hunt (ZG-M) will be cherished. If anything ZG-M almost mocks the Marvel line , & I love Marvel. DC ,now has the edge & their oversized 'mates are a revelation. I was going to comment upon 'over-scaled mates'......King Croc,The Lizard & Namor.....but maybe not.

I dunno PL. I remember around the time of Knightfall ( I hated that story) The cover where Bane breaks Bats' Back :D and he was absolutely monstrous. You could argue that's artistic licence I suppose, but I always think of Bane as freakishly huge. In the 90's Batman cartoon Bane was head and shoulders above Batman. Again not canon but if you straw polled most fans and creative types they'd probably say Bane was scarily big. Some may wince as they said it.

Most of that was Kelly Jones - the artist on the covers at the time. He sucks IMO. He has JohnByrne-itis. That is a comic artist specific disease where the artist becomes known for drawing in a specific style and eventually cannot draw anything but that style. Barry Windsor Smith and JR jr also suffer from JohnByrne-itis. At this time, the only cure is to stop buying books when these artists are working on them.

Next up in this three part series on "Comic Artists' Diseases" we'll look at RobLiefeld-itis and how tracing paper can make you millions. For a preview click here. After that, it's our final installment of this series where we'll take a look at "PatLee-itis" and how to defraud comic industry professionals, come out of bankruptcy court AND keep your house & Porche.

See you next time, same Bat time, same Bat channel!

You all know my opinion on this. I hate 2.5"ers, I think they are un-minimate-ish, and totally mess up the astetic of the line. However, let me try and give a few examples rather then just spouting off.

http://www.comicartcommunity.com/gallery/d...amp;mode=search

Take a look at this cover. The basis for minimate bodies has usually been the 2.5"ers are a head taller then the 2"ers. Well, if we follow this example, even if we say Supergirl and Power Girl are the same height, Superman should still be a 2.5" minimate. Same goes for this one.

Batman is bigger then Ras (granted, Ras is down in the corner), and way bigger then the Sensai. Going by this, even if Sensai is shorter then normal, Bats is still bigger than Ras, so Batman would be a 2.5" body.

So my problem is scale. When you have someone like Ares, who is shown to be slightly larget then Wonder Girl in the comics, that is a good head taller then Wonder Woman in the toys, it throws things off. It makes it much easier and much simpler to have them all be the same size. Otherwise we start arguing if Hulk needs a 2", 2.5", 3" or a 5" body.

It'd tick some people off, especially those avid fans that don't collect Marvel because there's no scale, but IMHO I think the 2.5" body should be done away with all together. Or at least offered an alternative. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with clayface.

But it seems to be the trend that the bigger they get, the less minimate-ish they become.

I agree completely . As a fan of 2.5'' or smaller *articulated* figures , Minimates are very near near perfect as a 2'' figure. At 2.5'' tall or beyond though the appeal of the block design begins to wear off (for me primarily due to higher articulation expectations at that scale. Exo Squad figures were roughly 3'' tall and not only boasted more articulation but LOOKED more like humans as well. SOme of the GI Joes of recent years flirted with the 3'' height mark as well *Built To Rule figures*).

Since stepping down in scale isnt an option for the 'Mates line in order to capture height differences while still maintaining the "cuteness factor" i suppose they dont really have an option but to increase size but at 2.5-3'' tall...Minimates start running into similar sized competition that they cant overcome with regard to design and aesthetic appeal.

You all know my opinion on this. I hate 2.5"ers, I think they are un-minimate-ish, and totally mess up the astetic of the line. However, let me try and give a few examples rather then just spouting off.

Take a look at this cover. The basis for minimate bodies has usually been the 2.5"ers are a head taller then the 2"ers. Well, if we follow this example, even if we say Supergirl and Power Girl are the same height, Superman should still be a 2.5" minimate. Same goes for this one.

Batman is bigger then Ras (granted, Ras is down in the corner), and way bigger then the Sensai. Going by this, even if Sensai is shorter then normal, Bats is still bigger than Ras, so Batman would be a 2.5" body.

So my problem is scale. When you have someone like Ares, who is shown to be slightly larget then Wonder Girl in the comics, that is a good head taller then Wonder Woman in the toys, it throws things off. It makes it much easier and much simpler to have them all be the same size. Otherwise we start arguing if Hulk needs a 2", 2.5", 3" or a 5" body.

It'd tick some people off, especially those avid fans that don't collect Marvel because there's no scale, but IMHO I think the 2.5" body should be done away with all together. Or at least offered an alternative. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with clayface.

But it seems to be the trend that the bigger they get, the less minimate-ish they become.

Okay so I wasn't going to weigh in on this thread, but then I realised I had enough piss and vinegar,(read beer) in me that I felt my opinion needed expressed.

I have loved the 2.5" mates as much as I have loved the 2" mates. I started collecting mates not because of the posablity of the figures in their small form but because of the uncanny likeness of the characters to the comic counterpart. I then became amazed that I could do such awesome poses with them. Then came the 2.5 mates same uncanniness, same articulation. I was still amazed by the combination of simplicity and spot-onness(isthataword). I have not agreed with all the 2.5 mates as far as scale but have felt that depending on the interpritation the character deserved it.

I very recently started getting into the 3" mates. They are the same articulation. They are the originals. They are the reason this forum exists.

Someone on here(youknowwhoyouare) said it before me, excuse my bastardization. You have to love the original 3" because that is what started this. What is a small difference in size as long as we get quality product and characters we love. People are obsessed with 400% kubricks and they only have 5 POA. Alright enough of the old man's drunken ramblings.

LONG LIVE THE MINIMATE

Couldn't agree with ya more about Kelly Jones. He is in my Top 5 Most Hated Artists list! Mr. Liefield is also on the list!! I collect almost every DC book and hated when KJ was doing all of the Batman covers.

As for the larger minimates, I think it's a good idea! Characters like Bane, Doomsday, Kilowog, Darkseid, etc, should be larger. I think there should also be a slightly smaller size for characters like teenagers and smaller girls. It doesn't bother me that Batgirl and Batman are the same height, but to have Robin TALLER than Batman is kinda crazy. Still, I don't think Minimates are all meant to be scale. They are miniature block figures after all! Leave SCALE to the regular action figures. :D

--Rick

Most of that was Kelly Jones - the artist on the covers at the time. He sucks IMO. He has JohnByrne-itis. That is a comic artist specific disease where the artist becomes known for drawing in a specific style and eventually cannot draw anything but that style. Barry Windsor Smith and JR jr also suffer from JohnByrne-itis. At this time, the only cure is to stop buying books when these artists are working on them.

Next up in this three part series on "Comic Artists' Diseases" we'll look at RobLiefeld-itis and how tracing paper can make you millions. For a preview click here. After that, it's our final installment of this series where we'll take a look at "PatLee-itis" and how to defraud comic industry professionals, come out of bankruptcy court AND keep your house & Porche.

See you next time, same Bat time, same Bat channel!