UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Superman: RED SON

The Vox

Hey gang, on a whim I went and read SUPERMAN RED SON after seeing his picture in the new wave.. I figured if there are multiple toy lines, a compiled printing and a universe in the multiverse dedicated to this story then there might be something to it.. Yep, it ended up being a fun read. Only 3 comics long the story is MUCH more then just what if Superman grew up in russia.. It is a fun twist on Supes, Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor, Lois Lane, Fortress of Solitude, Superman "robots", Batman, Alfred, Brainiac, "Kandor", Green Lanterns: Abin Sur, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, Gardner, Stewart and Scott, Area 51, JFK, Marylin Monroe, Joseph Stalin, the phantom zone, the history of Superman's home world, a whole slew of cameos of Superman Villains and some Global Politics.

Sound like a bit much? Seriously tho it is jam packed with fun 'what ifs'. If you have an hour to kill grab the books and check it out. I went from "hmm interesting Alt.Supes Mini" to "Sweet, I am looking forward to that minimate!!". Warning: reading the recap in a wiki really spoils the twists and turns of the story so just read the real thing. :P

Anywho.. just my two cents. Good call DCD.. now how about Hal Jordan and Batman from Red Son?

Vox

Oh, I forgot to mention, it is easily my favorite Elseworlds story ever.

It starts off with a great idea, Superman in Russia, but then the way the adapt characters like Bizarro and the Green Lanterns is just amazing.

And all the character designs are just great. I really would like to see some more stories from this universe made.

The only thing that I think could have used some work was Batman. His role was great, and his design was especially great. But there's no explanation for why he went with bats.

It was said best on this toy review

The bat symbol on his chest is a raised element, and you can see the big, rough stitches holding the pointy little ears to his hat. That does raise an interesting question, though: why a bat? In this world, this alternate reality, why a bat? In the normal world, a bat flew through his window and inspired him to similarly terrorize the underworld. But in Russia? Why a cape? Why the ears? Why a symbol on the chest? The original Batman dressed like a bat - this guy dresses like Batman.

Good call DCD.. now how about Hal Jordan and Batman from Red Son?

Considering how well received the Red Son Batman figure was and how big a GL fan Georg Brewer is, I'd be surprised if they weren't offered somewhere down the line. (Depending on sales of this 2-pack, of course.)

I had the Red Son trade apaperback in my hand today. Came real close to buying it since I own the Batman figure and will be buying the Minimate 2-pack. The art looks great but I just can't bring myself to buy it. Maybe I'll flip through it at Borders and see if it hooks me.

• 3 weeks later...

I too love Red Son, I love all the Elseworlds and What If? kind of stories, I've got em' all....Thank Jebus for Demonoid....

The only problem I had was why the Bat-Man had that damn, goofy hat?? Everything else i can understand but why the hat?

Looking forward to the two-pack though, defo a must-buy!!

AND that wave also has the Sinestro/Salaak two-pack as well! Whoo Hoo! :D