UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battlestar Galactica Discussion

neolego

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, someone's been "spiking" the Hybrid tubs (may explain their incoherent babbling).

"Red Stripe encourages you to jump responsibly."

Edited by cdubya

• 4 weeks later...

I have still not seen any of BSG at all. Tra lala-lala I can't hear you.

Season 2 of BSG (both 2.0 and 2.5) are in a double pack at Target on sale this week for $35. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. Now, for seasons 1,3m and 4. And the mini series. :/

If I were you ( :woot: ) I'd wait for the 'Complete Series' box-set which either is here or on the horizon.

Yeah, but how much is it gona be? most full series are $200+ I think I made out like a bandit for the whole season 2, when each season in really $80

Well i had planned to buy the full set when it came out, but i think i'll be waiting until July 28th (three days before birthday. This and the SDCC sets will be presents...) for the "Art Asylum" version (as i call it ;)):

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/04/new-...t-cylon-figure/

An exclusive Cylon with it, plus hours of extended fun?? Mixed with BSG?? COUNT ME IN!!!! XD :D

"This 20 DVD box set is Region 2 PAL, so it will only play on Region 2 (European) DVD players, and Multi Region (code free) DVD players."

:)

If your DVD player isn't Multi-Region I am pretty sure that it can become one very easily ;) My BSG Seasons 1-3 which I've now sold was Multi-Region.

Is this new Cylon set complete with a Minimate ?

• 1 month later...

So I plowed through season 1 and into season 2. I've grown from curiosity to feigned interesting to long suffering commitment to dislike. I have no doubt unless something happens soon that I won't even watch season 2.5. There is no way I'm spending my hard earned money on seasons 3 and 4, you can just forget it.

I'll keep yall posted.

I think the problem is Sci-Fi, to be good, should be funny. If it takes itself too seriously, it loses. BSG has no funny parts at all. A friend of mine that I was nucking futs for saying that, but I don't consider Baltar having sex with his own head funny. Then again, he think The Office is hilarious, so I have rendered his opinion forfeit.

But I was thinking. Firefly and Farcape were amazing, awesome, and hilarious. Star Wars, the measure of all things sci-fi, even had some great one liners in it that made you laugh. Doctor Who, the most amazing show of all time IMHO, is nothing but comedy at some points.

You get into other stuff, BSG, and a lot (not all) of SG1, and it's nothing but a snore fest. Take out the comedy and you get a soap. An inaccurate soap at that because life is funny. (Yes, I realize we're talking about space ships here)

Anyways, that's how I see it. I'll finish season 2, get the rest from the library, and dump the rest on ebay before the massive set comes out.

I don't really see where comedy would fit at all in BSG. It's a show about the decimation of almost all of the human race-most people don't find much humor in tragedy, especially on a larger scale. I remember when my mom passed away that for a couple weeks I didn't find any humor in anything. Life went on and I dealt with it well, but I just didn't want to be humored (which is totally unlike me). I'm not saying BSG is for you, but I think the lack of humor is realism.

I disagree. When i have serious tragedy like death in my life (and I've had it) I get funny to the point of stupid. It's a defensive mechanism and it starts running 110% to compensate. Not everyone shuts down. not everyone gets serious. And not every one starts cracking jokes either. But you know what? A guy watching a girl walk past and then running into a wall would go a long way to adding levity to the entire series. Yes, it's tragic, but life goes on. And comedy is part of our lives. We stop laughing and we die. Some people are more serious than others, but nothing but seriousness and depression will kill you.

Strangely enough I remember Baltar being brilliantly ,ironically funny in BSG ,as was Tigh who for obvious reasons I related to.

My dearest friend died last New Year's Eve & we shared the same sense of humour yet I can honestly say we had very little else in common .

I can relate to your comment TM2 which in itself is .....frightening :)

Strangely enough I remember Baltar being brilliantly ,ironically funny in BSG ,as was Tigh who for obvious reasons I related to.

You only have one eye BHM?

The funniest scene is when Baltar is getting his brain scanned. James Callis did a wonderful job with that character.

I think the problem is Sci-Fi, to be good, should be funny. If it takes itself too seriously, it loses.

I respectfully beg to disagree. Comedy wasn't even a mainstay of Sci-fi until very recently, when works like Doctor Who and The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and Men In Black in the States) started becoming popular. I have no doubt that sci-fi can carry comedy well, but that's not my point.

The mainstay of Sci-fi is, in fact, science. It may not necessarily be 100% plausible science, but the wonder, emotional transport and willing suspension of disbelief should be there. Dramatic sci-fi can be just as good as comedic sci-fi, otherwise works like Flowers For Algernon, A Clockwork Orange and War of the Worlds wouldn't have become classics.

Then again, we've already established that my taste in books doesn't mesh with yours (:P) so I guess this is just a moot point.

Then I guess you have a slightly different definition of what constitutes comedy in sci-fi from mine: Just because a work has zingy one-liners in it doesn't necessarily dictate that it's a comedy. Yes, Planet of the Apes was funny in some parts but I imagine the iconic ending was very grim and revolutionary in its day. Heck, even A Clockwork Orange has touches of dark comedy but the work's intention was clearly dramatic. "Hitch Hiker" and "Men In Black" are more examples of sci-fi where the comedy is played straight.

I guess what you're trying to say is that you don't warm up to works that are too overtly serious, like BSG. However groundhog did have a point when he said that works like BSG aren't supposed to be peppered with comedy like other works thanks to its religious themes... I mean, when the first Battlestar Galactica came out it was practically a Mormon tract disguised as a space opera. The point is that Sci-fi is in fact a very diverse genre and what may work for one universe may not work for another.

Edited by NorthRaider

You only have one eye BHM?

The funniest scene is when Baltar is getting his brain scanned. James Callis did a wonderful job with that character.

I always keep an eye on you ya bugger :biggrin: Those who know me would see quite clearly with both eyes why I relate to Tigh ,

When I first saw Orange Mecanique I'm sure my friends & I were laughing at all the wrong scenes . Who'll ever have the guts to produce the Minimates/kubricks from that film?

Yeah, I agree. What BSG was missing was a "laugh-track".

Roslyn: (holding-back grin and shaking finger) "Oh, Baltar!"

Baltar: (turns, looks directly at camera with arms up and shrugs shoulders) "Hey, I'm only human."

Cue canned-laughing and clapping.

Seriously though, this series had it all. I think there was plenty of humor, it was just more subdued reactions to situations rather than jokey or slap-stick stuff. I understand what you're saying (obviously you prefer the Farscape-brand of Sci-Fi), but that in itself is it's own sub-genre of Sci-Fi and by no means defines the whole. I strongly suggest continuing to watch (if you can do so without investing in sets...great!), as you've barely even skimmed the surface of this series if you are only up to season 2. Trust me (us), the plot-twists continue (as will your mood-swings as a viewer) right up to the very end and you cannot possibly even begin to form an honest opinion about this series until you've watched (and in some instances re-watched) it entirely. ;)

Yeah, I'd have to agree with what NorthRaider's kinda saying, that not every sci-fi movie/show has to have everything in it. The fact that there's good funny sci-fi doesn't therefore mean that all serious sci-fi is bad -- you're creating a correlation between humor and quality where there is none.

Also, busting a gut at the ending of Planet of the Apes seems even stranger to me than watching BSG and thinking "needs more laughs" -- but to each his own ;)