UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates: The Game

neolego

Ok, so I was sitting down playing LEGO Star Wars on my 360 last night and it got me thinking. LEGO Star Wars is by FAR my favorite Star Wars game that I've ever played. It takes what I love about Star Wars: The Story, the Characters, The Action and joins it with what I love about LEGO: The Building, the fun, the simplicity. So, it got me thinking how SWEET it would be if they developed a Minimates: The Game. Will it ever happen? Probably not. Minimates are Mass Market enough to sustain or even warrant a Video Game release, but who knows what the future holds. There are a lot of LEGO games and Micro Machine Games and Hot Wheels Games so there is always a chance. What I thought we could do, for any of those that are intrested (and are pretty much bored and wanna play along), imagine that you are making a pitch to a Game company about Minimates: The Game. Everything from design to production to marketing, whatever you feel like making up. Here's one to start:

Title: Marvel Minimates: The Game

Genre: Action/Adventure

Players: 1-2 (Co-Op)

Platforms: PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, GameCube, DS

Release Date: Winter 2006

Story: Magneto has joined forces with Dr. Doom to take over the world. With newly designed Doombots and Brand New Sentinels, our Marvel heroes have their "mini-hands" full.

Presentation: Everything is minaturized. From the look of the skyscrapers to the people walking down the street.

Graphics: Colorful, Vivid, and imaginative. Fully 3D with weather and time of day effects

Gameplay: There is a list of characters to choose from. Each one with special moves and abilities. There is a free-roam essence to the game play. Players will use their Hero to play through the 50+ missions and unlock a number of special features. The whole game can also be played Co-Op with a friend at home or online (depending on console).

Playable Characters:-Spiderman

-Wolverine

-Captain America

-Ghost Rider

-Iron Man

-Storm

-Human Torch

-Thing

-Emma Frost

-Punisher

-Silver Surfer (Hidden)

-Blade (Hidden)

-Colossus (Hidden)

-Iron Fist (Hidden)

-Thor (Special Hidden)

-Magneto (Unlockable)

-Dr. Doom (Unlockable)

-Vemon (Unlockable)

-Jugernaut (Unlockable)

-Absorbing Man (Unlockable)

Unlockable/Hidden Content:

-Find Hidden Characters thoughout the Game to Unlock them.

-Defeat a Boss Battle and Unlock that Boss as a playable character.

-Unlock Additional Costumes for each character as you play (Spiderman 2099, Patch Wolverine, etc)*

*Each character will have at least 1 with a number of them having several costumes

-Unlock "Danger Room" bonus missions to be played whenever

Also the Game would be released in a "Collector's Edition" that would include a Full Poster, Check List for Minimates in the Game, A 2nd Disc with Featuretts, and a Limited Edition Thor Minimate.

Dang, I'd buy that game in a heart beat. So, does anyone else have any ideas or what do you think? Would you buy a Minimate game? Let's discuss. neo

i've also been thinking about this, but i was thinking maybe a fighting game(danger room bonus maybe?) you know, you can beat your rival untill only a heads left! :P

but for yours, i like it a lot!! maybe some more playable characters, and a "Quick Custom" opption to mix and macth and make your own dude! :spiderham: i would buy this game in a heartbeat!

Throw in a PSP port, and I'm all over it...

Seriously though, this would be a greatest hit title in about six months.

Lego Star Wars is superb, and kids seem to like it...

Ok, since skids kind of tip-toed around it, here is another idea:

Title: Marvel Minimates Vs.

Genre: Fighting

Players: 1-4

Platforms: PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, GameCube, DS, and PSP (for antacost)

Release Date: Winter 2006

Story: Doesn't really need one. However, you could take the Single player through a "Civil War" type of mode where a story does play out.

Presentation: Over-the-Top Fighting action. Quick, Jazzy beats. Stages set in smaller, blocky places.

Graphics: 2D/3D fighter. Large, open environments to fight in with branching hidden areas. Colorful and Vivid backgrounds and Characters Models with just the right "lack" of detail.

Gameplay: Think Super Smash Bros. Controls are very simple but can be very deep.

Online: There would be an online lobby, kind of like DOA on the 360. You choose your Minimate figher to chill out with. Once a fight is complete the loser is kicked to the lobby and the next fighter gets transported to the battle field.

Playable Characters: 30+ Playable Characters all with different uniforms.

Unlockable Content: There would be several hidden characters and stages to be found as well as additional uniforms for each fighter.

Personally, I'm not a big fighting game fan, but a game like this would never leave my console, especially when friends were over :). neo

Stealing your formatting:

Title: Minimate Legends

Genre: Action/Adventure/RPG

Players: 1-2 (Co-Op)

Platforms: PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, GameCube, DS

Release Date:

Story:

The SHIELD files: The whole game opens with Nick Fury in minimate form on trial for his questionable use of uncontrolled Superpowered assets over the past 20 years. It should start with a reading of charges and a lot of Fury attitude. The case against Fury would then be made.

There would be a short cutscene with some type of voice over like: "Please explain to the court the actions surrounding the incident in Omaha on 5/12/1978" The voice over would then continue and disolve into some comic related event featuring a Minimate villian performing some evil act. Fury would then say something about organizing a team to neutralize the problem and it would drop to a team selection screen.

After the players select a team they'll actually move through the enviornment, collect power ups, bonus items, and defeat a variety of thugs/minor villians until they reach the big bad villian. After the classic villian speech the boss battle would begin.

On completion of the fight, the scene would switch back to the court room and the reading of cases would continue.

This format is fairly open ended and would allow for maximum use of the available minimate characters over the widest variety of time. Ideally a lot of Pivotal marvel stories would be playable.

Failure of a mission would lead to a cutscene showing Fury being courtmartialled and the villian triumphing.

Presentation:

Everything is scaled like the Minimates. This means it's all somewhat disproportioned and facial animations should be somewhat exaggerated.

Graphics:

Everything should look somewhat like the Batman: New times movie. All the backgrounds, vehicles and objects should actually look like they are made of C3 style bricks.

Gameplay:

The game play should be similar to Xmen Legends. In fact the whole Xmen Legends engine could probably be used.

Stealing from Xmen Legends theme. Various flashbacks will be added to introduce old varitions of the costumes. For example there could be a retro flashback where you play Yellow Daredevil and the original Ironman. There could also be "dream sequence" episodes where players end up in the future playing Days of Future Past Wolverine or Spiderman 2099.

Missions could contain collectable items such as Danger Room disks and Comic books which would unlock art (it'd be cool if they redid old comic covers with Mini-mates. Very similar to the Giant Sized X-Men box). Of course the danger room missions would have very simplistic plots (defend this, defeat x in y seconds, etc) but would allow you a wider range of characters than most missions. Completing certain tiers of Danger Zone missions would also unlock characters or costume options.

Players would advance through a tiered skill system. For example Cyclops would start out with a basic single target blast and spend XP improving it. The first few levels would make the beam do more damage, then it would penetrate through multiple targets in a line, advance to a cone attack, and finally some sort of 360 optic blast of doom. As most characters have more than one power there would be multiple paths for advancement.

(Spider-man could have an acrobatic/melee tier & a webswinging tier. Colossus could have a Strength Tier and an Armor tier, etc)

Playable Characters:

Pretty much any minimate hero could be played. The villians would not be playable in the main game but might be an option in the Danger Room type scenerios. Some unlockables would be cool as well.

Unlockable/Hidden Content:

-Hidden characters

-Villian Characters

-Alternate Costumes

-Collectable Danger Room missions

-Minimated Comic book covers.

I like the idea of having a collectable character released with the game. Thor would be okay. A major villian is another possibility (Apocolypse, Sinister, Red Skull, etc)

Good post Tenian. X-Men Legends (1 and 2) is one of my favorite franchises ever made. I can't wait for Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Your ideas are great and I love the story centering on Fury. Well done. neo

Ok, I have one final idea. I was thinking about this all day, here goes:

Title: Minimate World

Genre: MMORPG

Players: 1

Platforms: Xbox 360, Wii, PC

Release Date: Spring 2007

Story: You are the star of your own Minimate adventure. You are a custom, Made-to-order Minimate who was purchased by a collector. Soon after you come in contact with the collector something happens to all humans. There is a new toy, a Psycho Mate who is trying to take over the world. With all the humans out of commission it's up the only toy on the street with enough attitude to fight back - You (along with hundereds of other Custom Mates).

Presentation: Think Toy Story meets City of Heroes. You start the game with a huge, in depth Create-a-Mate. You can change the design of the Mate, you can add hair or clothes, and you can pick from a large list of weapons/accessories (all will be upgradable with online patches and updates). From there you are taken to the "Power" or "Ability" section. Here you will choose what type of a Mate you want to be and how you are going to dish out the pain. Then, it's time to enter the world. The world is actually the world of a toy, so one section of the world would just be 1 house. You can travel outside and down to the road to a LARGE Retail store or a take a look around a Gas station or just hang out around the flower bed. Psycho Mates aren't your only worries though. There are worms and insects and small mammals. Some missions might even have you teaming up with friends to take out a squrrel to unlock a new area.

Graphics: The engine would be total 3D and probably look and feel a lot like City of Heroes, only with more Color and more over the top fun presentations.

Gameplay: At it's core it is just an Action/Adventure game. You can use Button 1 for Punch/Action, Button 2 for Kick/Action, Button 3 for Power Attack/Special Attack, and Button 4 for Jump. Your mission would be simple. Find and friend and find out what's going on. Join up and make teams. The battles would be more Action than that of City of Heroes. You would run around in full 3D attacking with Punch, Kick, Special or a combo of the 3. Your special attack would resemble special attacks like on X-Men Legends. Where you hold a Shoulder button and can choose from up to 4 different attacks. As you level up, all your stats increase and you unlock more powers to choose from.

Online: Unfortunatly there would have to be a fee for a MMORPG, but it wouldn't be more than $10/month. Probably $8.99 or something like that. You would also have full Voice capabilities. You can talk to anyone around within a certain radias. Of you can just zero in or 1 single person or your teamates and just talk with them. The Type-Chat function would be used on the PC.

Unlockable Content: Not really a whole lot to "Unlock". You'll just need to keep getting stronger to get deeper into the game. There would be Upgrades released via Download. Things like Special Levels or new Clothes or new Weapons or stuff like that.

Wow, reading back over this, it's probably a good thing it will never get made, because I would probably never leave my TV again :) . neo

They could do a more traditional minimate fighter. A classic side view 2d Fighter. They actually have nearly all the characters from Marvel vs Streetfighter. I guess it woulc kind of be a cross between Street Fighter Gem Mini Mix (the SD style characters) and Marvel vs Streetfighter. They could even add in a Tetris style option and then it would be like SF: Puzzle Mix. From a technical standpoint this should be easy to do (swap animations/models with minimated models). Of course all those new models and animations are going to be more work for some art department somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is kinda off subject but when I saw this thread I got an interesting brainstorm. I'm working on a minimates board game (if you could call it that) and I blame neolego. :lol: With this link being in the realm of what i'm interested in doing for the board top.

http://www.gf9.com/terrain/gallery/view_al...bumName=album30

Ok, so I was sitting down playing LEGO Star Wars on my 360 last night and it got me thinking. LEGO Star Wars is by FAR my favorite Star Wars game that I've ever played. It takes what I love about Star Wars: The Story, the Characters, The Action and joins it with what I love about LEGO: The Building, the fun, the simplicity.

Could be a LEGO Batman one in the works too if my sources are correct....

Only thing I'd change on the game ideas is to make the game focus more on characters we aren't already overwhelmed with. Like any of the original Averngers line-ups, or some of the expansive X-Men line-ups. Don't even let Wolverine or Spider-man be playable characters until after you beat the game or something. I mean, we saw what happened with Dark Tide. Despite the new additions to the team, they used mates already in existence and as a result, it got packaged with repaints. The more new characters you put in the game, the more likely you are to see new characters bundled with the game.

I know this is kinda off subject but when I saw this thread I got an interesting brainstorm. I'm working on a minimates board game (if you could call it that) and I blame neolego. :lol: With this link being in the realm of what i'm interested in doing for the board top.

http://www.gf9.com/terrain/gallery/view_al...bumName=album30

That is awesome work on someone's part.

What about a kingdom of hearts appeal? Going through various years and stages of Minimate history whether it be Marvel/DC or something else, and turn into a full RPG affair. By what I mean are the various designs of minimate, like Cartoon Cyclops and Movie cyclops etc.

cheers,

Totalus

I know this is kinda vague, but just kinda do a lego star wars/x men legends combo, and make the graphical style minimates. Also, i preorder LSW2. so there :P

• 2 years later...
i think if we put enough thought into this,it might get made,i mean,look at superherosquad,except this game would be 100 times better!

Nearly 3 years later and you had to necro the thread for than contribution?

Go and sit on the naughty step Clayface and think about what you did wrong!

T.