UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Black Suit Spider-Man...

Valo487

As the release of the new waves of Spider-Man mates is hopefully fast approaching I thought I'd touch on a topic that has been bugging me. The melee symbiote suit Spider-Man, with the partially on or torn up version of the black suit. Nothing's wrong with the figure, it can be used for either battle damage or to simulate the bonding of Peter Parker with the symbiote, both of which are viable, but here's the problem: How many people, especially after all the time that has passed, have regular black suit Spider-Man? I don't, and I started collecting early on, as they were rare even then. If you don't have the finished black suit, what good is a torn one? I think the only solution would be to release a new comic version black suit, different enough in design or paint aps to not offend those who shelled out top dollar for one in the past. But do you think they would, or would they see the black suit as a literal "been there, done that?"

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it may have been a misstep to have used a popular costume as the variant way back in Wave 2. However, I don't really see it as good business to find some sort of loophole to release the variant later on. For those who are missing the black costume, I recommend snagging a spare Venom, spare Melee Black Costume Spidey, and an Ultimate Spidey. Use Venom's body, Melee Spidey's hands and a painted Ult. Spidey's head, and boom, Symbiote Spidey.

Symbiote Spider-Man has been showing up quite regularly on eBay and a 2-pack recently sold for just over $30 so it's definitely attainable. I wouldn't be against a direct rerelease of the figure though.

Here's what I always thought they should do. Make an original Spidey and update it to C3 feet and pack it in with an original Venom w/ tongue and update also to C3 feet. The catch is to pack in the Black Spidey head and hands since those are the only two differences. Just giving the tools, not the figure, right? Now that there is the difference of C3 feet, people can tell if it is the original or updated Black Spidey.

Arguably, an updated copyright date on the back of the figure would be all you need to differentiate between the old and the new. Still, rereleasing in any form would decrease the value of the figure as people who weren't aware of which version they held would be selling them at considerably cheaper prices.

Ultimately, it would be nice to see some sort of update or other loophole rerelease of the Symbiote Spider-Man, but I think DST has been pretty adamant in the past about letting the variants die with their respective waves, and I think the number of collectors who hunted this treasure down for the value would be soured by a "newcomers special" made available late in the game.

I recommend snagging a spare Venom, spare Melee Black Costume Spidey, and an Ultimate Spidey. Use Venom's body, Melee Spidey's hands and a painted Ult. Spidey's head, and boom, Symbiote Spidey.

This is exactly what I had been planning to do!!!

So far I haven't been able to get an extra Venom or Ult. Spidey :( If anyone reading this can help, I'm willing to pay.

At one time I was against re-releasing SS but if they changed the eyes a bit or something else i'd be all for it. Adding a new date would be agreeable too.

The reason I say this is because i've had difficulty finding Target Nightcrawler/ Colossus.

I have Symbiote Spidey, and I would not mind seeing him re-released. In fact I'm a little surprised that the variants haven't been. I mean, I spent extra money to get the Tower "exclusive" Silver Surfer and then they went ahead and re-released him two or three more times. Same for the "exclusive" Professor X and Magneto and the Giant-sized X-Men. Those didn't upset me, so seeing the variants released again wouldn't either.

Of course, I've never been one to obsess over the price value of my collections. "Play" value is enough for me.

I don't mind a re-release too much, but even though Melee Black costume Spidey has an entirely different spider emblem design (better than a simple date/C3 feet change) DST felt that it was too close to the mark to do as a straight un-damaged variation. They really do seem to be honoring their stated "chases will never be re-released" line.

Also the "they did it too soon" laments don't hold water, as because if they had waited people would have still complained that such a demanded variation wasn't yet made, not to mention an even worse fate if the line had died before it was released (understandably more likely a fear back in the early days than now)

I'd like maybe a more modern take on the outfit. Add that nice bluish shadow and muscular details that comics have nowadays. Plus, I want a black spidey.

I would also love to see a new black Spiderman, but it is never going to happen. And I have made peace with that. I am using the black Spiderman 3 and that is cool because then will get venom in the same style. True it would be nice to have comic version of the Family. It would make for a nice family photo, Spiderman, venom carnage black Spiderman. Aww dysfunction. But I just don’t see it happening.

Also please STOP referring to giant sized x-men as an exclusive. It was never an exclusive it was just a box set that they sold at comic book stores. I ordered mine through previews because I knew they were not going to get any minimates (jerks, stopped going there, they are not my LCS)

:blackspidey: I would be choked if they released a new black spider man. I think certain things should be hard to get. It's part of the reason people want chase figures is to have something that other people don't. I'm sorry if this is an unpopular opinion but it's how I feel. What's wrong with the spider man 3 symbiote spider man.

There's nothing wrong with the Spider-Man 3 version of the black suit, my point was simply that if few people had the original black suit version, the melee black suit mate that's forthcoming in the box set is rather superfluous, it's like using battle damaged Spider-Man as your regular Spider-Man, you can but it doesn't make much sense...

:blackspidey: I see your point with it not making sense that they release a melee black spider man now. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers it's just that my symbiote spider man is my pride and joy and if there was all of a sudden a bunch of them re-released it wouldn't be quite the same not to mention that I paid a whack of dough for it ( well not by it's current price but when I bought it , it seemed pricey). Anyways having said all that my original reply was directed more towards cyc and deadpool I guess I should have said so my bad. Also I wasn't trying to be cheeky about the movie version black suit I think that both those mates in that debut 2 pack are wicked cool. :mellow:

So the big question here is... Do you guys want a comic book faithful black spidey or to see the DST one re-released?

I don't want to see the exact same figure re-released as I paid heavily (Twice as one got lost in the post.) for mine.

What I dont object to is having another "comic book" black spidey in perhaps a slightly different color... possibly it would work best as a Black fig with Blue highlights on the hand torso and face...

One thing that I'd like for them to be careful of though is I'd like for them to ensure that people couldn't just mix the parts to replicate a wave 2 black spidey.

T.

I absolutely agree with TBT! on the parts mixing issue, that was something I began to become conerned about back when wave-after-wave seemed to be made up of nothing but reused parts and repaints; that if this continued it would eventually devalue most if not all the previous 'Mates, because you could just recreate them from bits and pieces of newer releases, and not be able to tell the difference.

At the very least such a thing would completely devalue any 'Mates not MIB. And then, many of those too, because it's very easy to put the later Marvel waves back into the cardstock boxes and re-tape them.

I agree that it was very unfortunate the Symbiote Spider-Man was made a chase so early on, making it difficult to obtain for new collectors who weren't there to pull it off the shelf. But if you look at it from the company's point of view, way back when the black-suited Spidey's wave was first being planned, they never could have forseen the film series making the black costume into such a mainstream concept, thus creating a whole new market for the low-issued 'Mate. So it couldn't have been intentional on their part.

As I see it, if they did choose to rerelease the BSM again, then they'd have to rerelease ALL the variants, IMHO, as it would be the only way to be fair to all those collecting. And the company so far has indicated that they have no desire to reissue the variants, as that was the point of them being made chases in the first place, so that they would be chased by collectors in the future.

A problem of creating a new version of Spidey in the black costume is that the design was so basic to begin with, and varried little until the suit was converted into Venom. So, sadly, except for the new movie version, there really is no alternate of the alternate for the company to put out, sort of side-stepping the whole "can't reissue the chases" problem....

I tend to think that the Black Costume has a large degree of popularity even before the movie came out, which is why pretty much every Spidey toy line had one long before the live action movie version appeared, and it's why it was picked for instead of say Scarlet Spider or Silver Armor Spidey, for many it is the most well known comic costume variation.

I agree with that perspective, Cyc, and this might be the reason they've kept from reproducing another version of the black suit Spidey (until now with the movie version). There's just so many other costume variations to choose from. I mean, myself, I'd rather they choose to issue a Scarlet Spider before they repeat themselves and put out the Black SM again....

Wow, I thought people had lost interest in this thread then I come back and it has swollen to two pages. I understand completely where the people who have the first black Spider-Man are coming from, I listen to fairly obscure music and have to import a lot of CDs, and I buy singles to get the B-Sides, and after the shipping it ends up costing almost as much as an album, but I'm a fan and it's worth it. At least until they rerelease the album with those B-sides for just a few bucks more. It's annoying because you think of all the money you could have saved had you known, so I can relate to the idea of "I like being one of the few." The thing I find curious is them releasing a version of a variant, it'd be like them releasing battle damaged Stealth Iron Man. I just think it would make sense for them to change the detailing or shade so that people who never got one can have one, and people who got the first one still have the rarer version, but in the end I'd rather get more Spidey villains or something than a new black suited one, worst case scenario I'll just use the movie version and only use the melee one for.....something I'll think of eventually.

I'm with you completely Valo487, there is nothing wrong with them putting out new variations of the black costume Spidey. I love the black costume, and really like the live-action look of it. But the original should not be rereleased, nope. Bottom line, what's the point of a variant if everybody and your uncle has it? And yeah, more Spidey villians, that's what they need to concentrate on! I want me a Mysterio and a Kraven! Quick, before Rami makes a new movie and the 'Mates have to look like the live action version. I want both Classic and LA versions, 'cause I'm a greedy, greedy SOB! :P

Amen to that!

Patriot

• 3 weeks later...

I think a re-release that isn't so damn plain would be nice.

Like Deadpool said, with dark blue shading like in the comic books, maybe even some better muscle detailing.

I don't have a Symbiote Spidey, but I'll probably get it eventually, and I'd love to have both, if a re-release ever happens.

I'm with you completely Valo487, there is nothing wrong with them putting out new variations of the black costume Spidey. I love the black costume, and really like the live-action look of it. But the original should not be rereleased, nope. Bottom line, what's the point of a variant if everybody and your uncle has it? And yeah, more Spidey villians, that's what they need to concentrate on! I want me a Mysterio and a Kraven! Quick, before Rami makes a new movie and the 'Mates have to look like the live action version. I want both Classic and LA versions, 'cause I'm a greedy, greedy SOB! :P

They need to make just a full Spidey villain line.

And just complete the whole fucking rogues gallery, and people can have the Sinister Six and more.

I'd spend every cent I had just getting that full wave and variants.