UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Black Suit Spider-Man...

Valo487

I agree with wtf this isn't Sparta. A black spidey with that detailing would be badass. Who thinks it a good idea ,say YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an original black suited Spider-Man. It's a beautiful figure, and I love it. This is exactly why it SHOULD be re-released. I've never understood the argument that limiting something makes it better. How is black suited Spider-Man any better if 2 people have it or 50,000 people have it? The figure itself is still great. If anything, it's better for more people to have it, that way more folks can love MiniMates.

I understand that some people get upset because they might have paid a premium on the secondary market. Having said that, I don't think that should influence Diamond one way or the other. Diamond sells a product, and they don't control the secondary market. They can't look at the items that way because it hinders them from meeting the needs of the market and hurts profitability. And for those of you that got it on the secondary market, by paying that premium, you got to own the original one and got to enjoy it for that much longer than everyone else.

It's one thing not to re-release DOFP Wolverine. There's no demand for that. But black-suited Spider-Man is hugely in demand. That's the costume currently in the comics. Leaving that out of the hands of most MiniMate customers, I feel, is a greater disservice to the community.

That's the fun of a collection though Infallible. If someone needs to work a bit to get all the mates they want, is that a bad thing? They may value their collection a little bit more as a result.

[soapbox]I see this 'gimme it now. I want it and gotta have it the easiest way possible' attitude from my kids all the time when they play video games. They can't get past a section or they can't get a needed item, they immediately give up and go online to look up a cheat or tips on how to achieve their immediate goal. Unfortunately they have no drive beyond immediate gratification. I remember growing up playing Atari 2600 for hours with no end in sight. (ET really sucked - I never could make it to the space ship in time... Don't even get me started on Pac Man.) When I did complete a game (IIRC, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was one that I finished) I got a sense of accomplishment that I don't think my kids (or others of this generation) have really been able to appreciate.[/soapbox]

Offering reissues of chase figures to make it easy for fans to collect isn't the answer to prolonging the life of minimates. If anything making it easier, IMO, shortens the life of the line in the long run because people will feel like they've got everything there is to get and they'll tire of it.

Don't reissue the original black Spidey, Chuck (and gang at DST). Offer a variation - with blue highlights or something along that line, as some here have suggested. Make it just a little bit harder to 'catch em all' for the kids and maybe they'll stick around.

Even a variation of the Black Spidey will decrease demand for the original. Is that a bad thing? Not really, as long as the original stays unique. In every wave, I expect to see a "battle damaged" Symbiote Spidey, but surprisingly, its never happened. IMO, a "variation" of the original release is practically a certainty. I just wonder HOW different it will be.

On the same note, DST has sworn that the variants will NEVER be re-released and I don't doubt them.

Don't reissue the original black Spidey, Chuck (and gang at DST). Offer a variation - with blue highlights or something along that line, as some here have suggested. Make it just a little bit harder to 'catch em all' for the kids and maybe they'll stick around.

I really agree here. I'd hate a straight reissue. As for the whole challenge... I see where you are coming from, but not all of us can obtain a chase by hunting on ebay. Maybe do a new version as an exclusive (no sculpted parts = +) or again as a variant? Retain the challenge, but make it somewhat more accessable.

Yeah I'm really confused about that post too. Care to explain Wallbreaker?

I really badly want a Black-suit Spider-man, and wish they would re-issue it, but I know that is totally unfair on people who have spent loads of money, and time on eBay or similar sites.

I agree with bringing out a slightly different versions, like one with Blue highlights. I think it was Graham who made a custom with the highlights, that looked amazingly cool.

I don't know whether I'd prefer a Scarlet Spidey or a re-issued Black suit Spidey. I'd love both, but tbh I'd prefer them to make new characters, before yet more Spider-man and Wolverine variants.

Looking back over past threads, it's amazing to me how attitudes change. People used to scream "I want a Black Spidey reissue!" and I'd say it was a bad idea and basically get shot down. Now people scream the same thing, and others parrot what I said way back when. This isn't a "i told you so" but rather amusement at how some things change given time.

We're getting a BD Black Spidey in the box set, right? If worse comes to worse, people can always color over the flesh parts with a sharpie. :P

:blackspidey: wave 2.

? I missed the point.

Black Spider Man from wave 2 and that's it if you don't have one or couldn't get one I'm sorry but such is life. Just because the currrent story line involves the black costume doesn't me anything. Iron Man 19 has the stealth suit in it are you guys going to suggest re-releasing it. I don't even like the fact that they released the movie version of the black costume but it's different enough that it doesn't bother me too much. To release a black suited Spider Man even with blue high lights would defeat the purpose of having a variant and quite honestly take some of the fun away from collecting them ( at least for me I'm sure there are others who agree). What's next releasing a slightly different clear sue storm because she appears in the movie invisible? Come on.

But its no fun when you can't get the one figure you really want. I'm a huge black suit fan and want this minimate bad. Being in UK, barely any are sold on eBay, and shipping costs too much for me to get one from america, even if I could afford how high the bidding goes. I am trying to get parts to make a custom, or as TM2 suggested, may convert the new version. I guess I'll have to settle for a crappy home-made custom.

:blackspidey: wave 2.

? I missed the point.

Black Spider Man from wave 2 and that's it if you don't have one or couldn't get one I'm sorry but such is life. Just because the currrent story line involves the blask costume doesn't me anything. Iron Man 19 has the stealth suit in it are you guys going to suggest re-releasing it. I don't even like the fact that they released the movie version of the black costume but it's different enough that it doesn't bother me to much. To release a black suited Spider Man even with blue high lights would defeat the purpose of having a variant and quite honestly take some of the fun away from collecting them ( at least for me I'm sure there are others who agree). What's next releasing a slightly different clear sue storm because she appears in the movie invisible? Come on.

Extreme much? It's just that, you know, it's a really popular costume and some people want to own one for less than $50? I can't pay that! I'm 15! Actually, while less requested, making the Invisible Woman a chase was also stupid. The F4 are kinda big name, and I can get a stretchy Mr. F, rocky Thing (no quick customs jokes, please?), and a flaming Human Torch, no invisible Invisible Woman! At least not easily. Wolverine's classic yellow and blue. What if that was only available as a variant to the brown? That'd suck. And before you say it, Wolverine has several big "costumes", Spidey has one main, and lots of others. When I can get 2099, Raft Spidey, Ultimate, and others with ease and not the black costume, something kinda stinks. Oh, and why does a Movie Black Spidey bother you? How the hell could they do a Spider-Man 3 wave (2 actually) with no black costume, the FOCUS POINT OF THE MOVIE?!

Right, just looked over that huge text chunk... Maybe I overreacted, I never type so much. Anyway, in usual Deadpool terms, I still disagree :P .

Looking back over past threads, it's amazing to me how attitudes change. People used to scream "I want a Black Spidey reissue!" and I'd say it was a bad idea and basically get shot down. Now people scream the same thing, and others parrot what I said way back when. This isn't a "i told you so" but rather amusement at how some things change given time.

We're getting a BD Black Spidey in the box set, right? If worse comes to worse, people can always color over the flesh parts with a sharpie. :P

Yep. It's all about you Dino. :rolleyes:

Black Spider Man from wave 2 and that's it if you don't have one or couldn't get one I'm sorry but such is life. Just because the currrent story line involves the blask costume doesn't me anything. Iron Man 19 has the stealth suit in it are you guys going to suggest re-releasing it. I don't even like the fact that they released the movie version of the black costume but it's different enough that it doesn't bother me to much. To release a black suited Spider Man even with blue high lights would defeat the purpose of having a variant and quite honestly take some of the fun away from collecting them ( at least for me I'm sure there are others who agree). What's next releasing a slightly different clear sue storm because she appears in the movie invisible? Come on.

Not really IMO. It wouldn't be the same as the chase figure. That would be an acceptable compromise - one that I'm sure is being worked on, trying to fit it into a future wave.

It's just that, you know, it's a really popular costume and some people want to own one for less than $50? I can't pay that! I'm 15! Actually, while less requested, making the Invisible Woman a chase was also stupid. The F4 are kinda big name, and I can get a stretchy Mr. F, rocky Thing (no quick customs jokes, please?), and a flaming Human Torch, no invisible Invisible Woman! At least not easily. Wolverine's classic yellow and blue. What if that was only available as a variant to the brown? That'd suck. And before you say it, Wolverine has several big "costumes", Spidey has one main, and lots of others. When I can get 2099, Raft Spidey, Ultimate, and others with ease and not the black costume, something kinda stinks. Oh, and why does a Movie Black Spidey bother you? How the hell could they do a Spider-Man 3 wave (2 actually) with no black costume, the FOCUS POINT OF THE MOVIE?!

I can appreciate how the cost might be a problem for some collectors. That's why we have a trading board. Put it out there with how much you're willing to pay or what you're willing to trade for it. You might be suprised by how generous the community here really is.

As far as Invisible Woman, the FF4 pack has a partially invisible figure - again, an acceptable compromise IMO. The clear IW is much easier (and cheaper) to come by though than Black Spidey is though, so it probably isn't a fair comparison.

:ohmy: I didn't mean to offend anybody but I just don't think everything should be a dime a dozen and there should be things that are hard to get it makes you want them more and makes finally getting them all the sweeter.

Oh and about the Black movie Spider Man bothering me I said it only kind of bothered me but it's different enough that it's not too much. The point I was trying to make is that for me even that costume is getting to close to the wave 2 black costume.

:ohmy: I didn't mean to offend anybody but I just don't think everything should be a dime a dozen and there should be things that are hard to get it makes you want them more and makes finally getting them all the sweeter.

Oh and about the Black movie Spider Man bothering me I said it only kind of bothered me but it's different enough that it's not too much. The point I was trying to make is that for me even that costume is getting to close to the wave 2 black costume.

It's ok. I'm not offended. Just felt REALLY rant-y.

I agree with what Deadpool is saying. I am only 16, and a UKer which makes prices even higher, and in shorter supply. I have never seen a Black-suit Spidey on eBay over here, and on the amount of money I earn, it would take me about 2-3 months to make enough cash to afford the figure and shipping. When I get my Classic Spidey boxed set, I'll be quite happy with the BD version for now, but as was said right at the beginning of the thread, it won't feel right without the intact version on the suit.

Just to preface: I don't think that Diamond will be re-releasing the black-suit Spidey from wave 2. I just think it would be nice if they did.

I mean, you don't have people asking for a re-issue of black Elektra from wave 1 because it doesn't really matter. And that's been the approach with all the chases except black Spidey (and maybe the Spider-Woman variant). Black Spidey is vastly different from all the other chases, and if I were getting in to 'Mates now, I'd feel a bit disillusioned and disappointed about it being so difficult to get that version of Spider-Man.

If someone wants the "thrill" of hunting something down, then there are plenty of less-demanded variants out there. You can even get to that level of rarity with things like the Cylon Elf. But keeping that plain black Spider-Man as rare as it is makes it worse for people that weren't around waaay back in Wave 2. It's not about instant gratification, it's about meeting a real need of the market.

Now, while I think a direct re-issue would be great (because that original design is so good), a modified release of black Spidey would also be great. Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't gotten that yet. Blue highlights or a modified chest symbol or something, but a non-BD version is something that really needs to get out there.

Can I throw a couple of points into the against column of 're-release it now'.

1, Why should they re-release a figure that was sold as a variant/limited figure, They have said variants will not be re-released from pretty much day one and if DST breaks that promise then that's the day I quit minimates because we cant trust anything DST says from that point onwards.

2, For those who give the 'I cant afford it' reasoning... that's not really a reason other than complacency is it? I want a flash sports car, but cant afford one... If I really really wanted one then I could eventaully get it but I'd have to save to get it and then when I did I would cherish it all the more for having to toil over it. Those are the facts of life guys, we cant always get what we want easily.

3, The it's a popular costume argument doesn't really cut it, the Stealth Iron Man minimate is a very popular variant of a figure, possibly as much as Black Spidey (if you look at the going rate for him he actually sells for about the same price.) Will you all be demanding that next ,then spiderwoman because you only started collecting after that wave?. Which leads to DST Keep giving up crappy unmasked DD, doom, cyke etc variants because you demand that they cant give us anything cool because someone who wasn't collecting at that point might want it later down the road?

4, I want to answer the 'why did they make it a variant so early on' comments. Supposing marvel minimates had only gone 2-3 waves and they hadn't included it... my bets are you're all be complaining that they missed out and should have done the black spidey as part of that wave. DST weren't to know that they'd still be making them and that 4 years later marvel would bring the black costume out of mothballs and it would be popular again.

5, As someone that has a Black Spidey & with at least one coming from the movie then I don't want yet another version of the same suit, I'd rather have that slot taken up with a new character not another spiderman variant that isn't even a new suit we havent seen!

Lastly... Dont give up hope of ever getting you hands on one of these fairly cheaply they do sometimes blip, heck there was a crash on the price of these a couple of years back when Tower Records dumped a huge number of these on the market and the prices plummeted from $30 to $12 for the pack overnight.

Oh and if that's not a good enough example I know of one member that didn't have one of these picking the pack up for $20 from another member who had a 'spare' in the last few months.

T.

2, For those who give the 'I cant afford it' reasoning... that's not really a reason other than complacency is it? I want a flash sports car, but cant afford one... If I really really wanted one then I could eventaully get it but I'd have to save to get it and then when I did I would cherish it all the more for having to toil over it. Those are the facts of life guys, we cant always get what we want easily.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. A flashy sports car is one thing. It's expensive because they're expensive to make. A Black Spider-Man costs the same (or for the really technical arguer, less, because no sculpted parts) to make as all the other minimates. He's just too hard to get for such a popular design. And just because you are an Iron Man fan, that doesn't mean people want Stealth Iron Man as much as Symbiote Spidey. That costume isn't nearly as important as the Symbiote. Anyway, I'll say it again. NO RERELEASE. BAD IDEA. That'd mean DST are a bunch of liers, you're right. I want an updated version. It'd look much better with current minimates.

2, For those who give the 'I cant afford it' reasoning... that's not really a reason other than complacency is it? I want a flash sports car, but cant afford one... If I really really wanted one then I could eventually get it but I'd have to save to get it and then when I did I would cherish it all the more for having to toil over it. Those are the facts of life guys, we cant always get what we want easily.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. A flashy sports car is one thing. It's expensive because they're expensive to make. A Black Spider-Man costs the same (or for the really technical arguer, less, because no sculpted parts) to make as all the other minimates. He's just too hard to get for such a popular design. And just because you are an Iron Man fan, that doesn't mean people want Stealth Iron Man as much as Symbiote Spidey. That costume isn't nearly as important as the Symbiote. Anyway, I'll say it again. NO RE-RELEASE. BAD IDEA. That'd mean DST are a bunch of liers, you're right. I want an updated version. It'd look much better with current minimates.

You're missing the point, it's more a case of something that you want but can't afford easily...Production costs are a moot point, you have to look at real world costs.

As for the Stealth IM Costume being less important... (just because you're not a fan doesn't mean it's not true! :):P ) I'd beg to differ, It's still hugely popular, sales of any pretty much anything ( toys or statues especially) in the stealth suit have always sold out and don't need a current movie tie in to do it ;).

Besides I'm kinda happy you only questioned 1 of 5 points I made, that's 4-1 before we started to me ;)

T.

Obviously Spider-Man is the popular character but Stealth IM has always been a popular armor. At one point, prices on Stealth IM were higher than Black Spidey. I believe Stealth IM is the next most popular variant. While not minimates, the last Marvel Legends Stealth IM sold for $130+

I agree pretty much with all your points TBT and I too would be very upset if DST re-released any of the chase minis.

For the record, I don't completely agree with having chase figures. Hence why I am happy with DCD mates. :D

I have to say that I completely agree with TBT.

I complain that I can't afford it, and that makes me want it more, but at the same time, when(if) I get it, the victory will be oh so much sweeter.

Tbh, although I badly want Stealth IM and Black Spidey, I would hate to have them

re-released, as then I would just have them, and not really appreciate the value and meaning owning one.

I guess I'll either have to make a custom one, or try to donate more funds into the hunt for a Black Spidey.

2, For those who give the 'I cant afford it' reasoning... that's not really a reason other than complacency is it? I want a flash sports car, but cant afford one... If I really really wanted one then I could eventually get it but I'd have to save to get it and then when I did I would cherish it all the more for having to toil over it. Those are the facts of life guys, we cant always get what we want easily.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. A flashy sports car is one thing. It's expensive because they're expensive to make. A Black Spider-Man costs the same (or for the really technical arguer, less, because no sculpted parts) to make as all the other minimates. He's just too hard to get for such a popular design. And just because you are an Iron Man fan, that doesn't mean people want Stealth Iron Man as much as Symbiote Spidey. That costume isn't nearly as important as the Symbiote. Anyway, I'll say it again. NO RE-RELEASE. BAD IDEA. That'd mean DST are a bunch of liers, you're right. I want an updated version. It'd look much better with current minimates.

You're missing the point, it's more a case of something that you want but can't afford easily...Production costs are a moot point, you have to look at real world costs.

As for the Stealth IM Costume being less important... (just because you're not a fan doesn't mean it's not true! :):P ) I'd beg to differ, It's still hugely popular, sales of any pretty much anything ( toys or statues especially) in the stealth suit have always sold out and don't need a current movie tie in to do it ;).

Besides I'm kinda happy you only questioned 1 of 5 points I made, that's 4-1 before we started to me ;)

T.

Right, right. The stealth armor toys tend to sell well because they're usually a variant. Just a repaint of something. That's why. Anyway, I see your points. I just still want one. Bleh.

Right, right. The stealth armor toys tend to sell well because they're usually a variant. Just a repaint of something. That's why. Anyway, I see your points. I just still want one. Bleh.

*puts on devils advocate hat*

Doesn't that describe the Black Spidey Costume? It's the same guy as regular Spidey but in a different costume...;)

T.

*puts on devils advocate hat*

Doesn't that describe the Black Spidey Costume? It's the same guy as regular Spidey but in a different costume...;)

T.

*puts on jackass hat*

Yeah, but if the webs are scultped, or the black widow on his chest, then they have to be different! Eh, eh?