UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates wave 2

MINI_MYTE

Here is a detailed account of DC minimates series 2. Click the thumbnails to see bigger pics.

Note that Blue Beetle's face ressembles that of Bruce Wayne's. Not exactly, but close.

Pack back

th_back.jpg

Blue Beetle & Booster Gold

th_BGBB.jpg

th_blue1.jpg

th_booster1.jpg

th_booster2.jpg

Dr Fate & Power Girl

th_fPG.jpg

th_fate1.jpg

th_fate2.jpg

th_powergirl1.jpg

th_powergirl2.jpg

Robin & the Penguin

th_rp.jpg

th_robin1.jpg

th_robin2.jpg

th_penguin.jpg

Superman (BD) & Braniac 13

th_DSCF0588.jpg

th_Supes.jpg

th_supes2.jpg

th_braniac1.jpg

th_brainiac2.jpg

They look great, thanks for taunting us with the pics :tongue: .

I REALLY NEED to get that Robin Minimate now

Thanks for the pics. I was worried robin was going to have no weapons at all. Ted Kord does lokk almost identical to Bruce Wayne lol. And i know i'll be usng that Dr. Fate hair piece for my Doc Cottle lol

I had the foresight to have my LCS reserve a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold 2-pack, and I'd then settle for whatever was left, which turned out to be the very last Superman/Brainiac pack. And this was only 2 hours after the store opened! I did inquire about them ordering more of both waves we've had to date (I only managed to get Hal/SS and Supes/Lex for cost reasons), so hopefully they'll come through.

Anyhow, I'll have a nice review sometime Friday of the two packs I did get. For now, though... all I can do is keep admiring Ted Kord standing shoulder to shoulder with Clark Kent and Hal Jordan, against Marvel heavyweights Spider-Man, Sentry and Iron Man. It's a glorious thing, my friends. Simply glorious.

Personally, I was very amused by the fact that Power Girl has the (entirely appropriate) larger chest piece.

They coulda done just a cape...

Really looking forward to these - is that the Hector Hall Dr. Fate? I always thought Kent Nelson was clean shaven.

Thanks for the pics,

Jo

They look great, thanks for taunting us with the pics :tongue: .

I REALLY NEED to get that Robin Minimate now

Yeah, when the prototype shots were made available, the Robin / Penguin two-pack was the only one I was so-so about but...

...these DC minimates always look far better when they are released. Robin's mask looks great and the Penguin having little feet is a unexpected touch.

I even like Hal Jordan's bigger forehead, it seems a bit more reminiscent of the character due to the mask shape.

Blue Beetle looks brilliant and will knock Iceman from the bronze position in my Top 3. Captain America ( the most recent one with the scaled suit ) and C3 Nightwing still hold the top spots.

Interestingly, Powergirl and Fate's gloved hands seem to come from different sculpts. At least, Kara's hands are better defined, maybe that comes from the actual fabrication process. Anyway, since a lot of DC characters have similar gloves, here's hoping they use the cleaner, crisper Powergirl scuplt in the future.

Hey, DC Minimates are bigger than Marvel ones ?

Are they of the same size ??

Basic figures are the same height.

Aquaman has a point- he is slightly, ever so slightly, shorter than many of the new mates due to a lack of a head piece- his hair is painted on. Compare him with say Supes, or Blue Beetle and he's a smidge smaller.

Same way that the New Avengers Luke Cage is to Cap- painted on head versus an actual mask/helmet.

I wouldn't say that means they are out of scale however, since they are in the same size mate body as you note. It might bug some people I suppose. I don't really care. My John Stewart looks great next to my Hal Jordan.

As for wave 2- Wow. Great stuff again. I have a feeling I will be saying that over and over for the DC mates. They look great, the paint apps are very good, the accesories are wonderful. The Booster/Beetle two pack was so great- I bought the awesome Blue Beetle DC Direct figure when it came out and then nothing on Booster until the recent release for 52 figures (which by then I had already given away/sold all my DC Direct out of frustration).

Power Girl looks awesome. No need for a bigger chest. What they did works perfect for mates. Dr Fate is great and looking, maybe my favorite of the wave. I like him as much as my old Super Powers Fate frankly.

Braniac is very cool, along with Supes. Robin while slightly too big I think still looks great (can we get a SA BAtman to go with him maybe?) and they did a nice job on Penguin as well.

Overall a nice set.