UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

who will be first with the wave 2 review and pics today?

murderofcrows

Can I take the credit for first to obtain? My LCS had a set of each stowed away in the back for me when I got to the shop today (odd, considering I didn't ask them to). I can't claim first review or pics this time though, as these sets are reserved for my little brother. I'll be ordering my own from Stuckakids or someone equally reputable once my own funds are in order.

JP at the HQ at a guess

That would have been a good guess, but I just found out my car will be in the shop for a few more days. Sooooo... unless by some miracle I can talk my wife into stopping by the local comic shop after she picks me up from the train station tonight, I won't have picks of these until next week. Gah!

No pics but I've got a review:

Superman • Brainiac 13: Finally, DC Direct offers a variant of Superman from the popular "Our Worlds at War" storyline. This has been a no-brainer from the beginning yet DCD chose to release it as a Minimate instead. That's fine with me because this figure rocks. Complete with angry red eyes, a battle-worn costume, and a chunk of Red K, this Superman is pretty authentic to the source material. The even better news is that Brainiac 13 is indeed HUGE. Art Asylum used the 2.5" body as a base for this guy so he's noticeably taller and bulkier than his opponent. His mechanical tendrils are packaged seperately and were a bit of a chore to assemble. Unlike his 6-inch scale predecessor the tendrils are not bendy. That's probably a good thing since it keeps them light which allows this Brainiac to stand up straight.

Booster Gold • Blue Beetle: Together at last, the way God intended. Both figures feature removable, sculpted headgear, probably to allow for the translucent visor and goggles they wear. Booster's details look good right down to the flight ring on his right hand. His sidekick Skeets is attached to a removeable waistpiece sandwiched between his torso and waist allowing the robot to "hover" over Booster's shoulder. Again, no wire armature here but since the vapor trail is clear it's still pretty cool. Beetle comes with his gun and a working holster to stash it in. If I wanted to nitpick I'd have included Beetle's rappel rod or at least a hairpiece for Ted. And while I'm still curious what Booster would look like in black & GOLD instead of comic book blue & yellow the hues suit the block figure format. Simply put, these are adorable.

Dr. Fate • Power Girl: I never thought I'd be so excited to add a flat-chested Power Girl to my collection. She certainly didn't have to be considering she has a sculpted chest piece over her torso featuring details for her cape. If any character could have broken format and featured sculpted cleavage, this would have been it but I applaud DCD and AA for not giving in to whatever puerile notions that might have tempted them during her development. [EDIT: Would nipples have killed you?! - EvilPL] Dr. Fate, like Booster, is adorned in comic book colors but again it works here. His "golden" helmet is removeable and features the goateed portrait of... um, Kent Nelson? Whoever it is, he comes with a hairpiece and that's always a good thing. Loving the flaired cape as well.

Robin • The Penguin: I'm gonna start with The Penguin so I can talk about the ingenious way they've made him appear smaller than other figures. In short, he's wearing slippers. At first glance he looks like a tubby little guy thanks to his sculpted torso piece. But upon closer inspection you'll notice that his feet are shorter than those of other Minimates, making him noticeably more diminutive. That made me wish they'd done the same thing with Robin, especially since his sculpted skirt (for lack of a better term) adds height to his figure. However, using the slipper trick probably would have made the overall proportions of the figure look queer. He'd look like he has monkey arms so it was probably a good call. Accessories include a batarang and a closed umbrella. Penguin's hat is sculpted to his hair but I can live with it. Everything else looks good from the green scales on Robin's trunks to the grey highlights on his Silver Age mask. Unfortunately because the mask is painted on, you won't get Dick... just a bald, earless Robin.

Tip your waitresses, folks. Have a safe trip home.

My pleasure, Danny. And Mystery Man, at least you've got something to look forward to. Too often DCD's track record is laced with QC problems and collectors end up dreading getting their orders in after reading bad reviews. There was no breakage or bad paint apps in my lot and I didn't even pick them. Looks like another solid assortment. Kudos to AA and their artists! The sculpted details really stand out.

Ah they sound great..and I emphasize sound because my STUPID COMIC STORE didn't get them in today OR the marvel ones. I am so sick of them missing release dates.

Hopefully some wonderful member of the forum will litter it with pics of this wave.

Thanks for the review, I want them even more now

moc847

Ah yes, the perils of dealing with Diamond Distribution (wholly unreliable) and yet another reason why I've resorted to pre-orders from Stuckakid. I very well may be another week before mine arrive, but "by God I will have them"! Nice review PL (try not to gloat so much...lucky bastard LOL!). Can't wait until mine arrive (hope Robin doesn't dwarf the Dark Knight).

Nice review PL (try not to gloat so much...lucky bastard LOL!).

I forgot to mention that my Minimates smell like the back of Elisha Cuthbert's neck. Isn't that odd?

But hey, I had my share of disappointments, too. No Marvel Movie Minimates today. :confused:

DUDE THATS WHAT IM SCREAMMING

where are the X3s? did anyone on the EAST COAST get them?

Im worried

As I said in this thread...

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=2263

I hit 2 stores today, and I found both Marvel Series 14 (X3) and DC Series 2 today, as well as a restock of DC Series 1 and Marvel Series 12 (New Avengers).

I live in the suburbs east of Chicago. Not exactly east coast, I know, but definately not west coast. And we didn't get them last week.

So I scored Dark Phoenix, Raft Sentry, and a slew of other mates I wanted this morning, and all it cost me was $110 worth of credit card debt and a little piece of my soul.

Dr. Fate, like Booster, is adorned in comic book colors but again it works here. His "golden" helmet is removeable and features the goateed portrait of... um, Kent Nelson?

If there's a goatee then it's Hector Hall, Hawkman & Hawkwoman's son who became the new Doctor Fate at the start of the last JSA series. (It restarted recently.) That basically confirms that all the JSA minimates are going to be from the modern era of JSA characters, if the inclusion of Ma Hunkel & Star Spangled Girl hadn't done that already. So the liklihood of Golden Age characters not part of the current JSA getting minimates are slim. Although that looks like Golden Age Spectre, so I could be wrong.

Dr. Fate, like Booster, is adorned in comic book colors but again it works here. His "golden" helmet is removeable and features the goateed portrait of... um, Kent Nelson?

If there's a goatee then it's Hector Hall, Hawkman & Hawkwoman's son who became the new Doctor Fate at the start of the last JSA series. (It restarted recently.) That basically confirms that all the JSA minimates are going to be from the modern era of JSA characters, if the inclusion of Ma Hunkel & Star Spangled Girl hadn't done that already. So the liklihood of Golden Age characters not part of the current JSA getting minimates are slim. Although that looks like Golden Age Spectre, so I could be wrong.

Spectre and Ma Hunkel are both in their Golden Age costumes.