UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Supergirl TV series

I agree that trailer does look very good from touches of humour to the action and especially the costume. For me DC has always had the upper hand small screenwise uppermost being the animated stuff before things like Arrow, Flash and even though I like it in a lesser way Gotham.

DC's animation on their direct to DVD release has always being top notch for me. way above anything that Marvel did. If for me I had to pick out clunkers from DC animation it would be the Wonder Woman one or GL cartoon series everything else I've enjoyed. Marvel is more hit and miss it goes from great Ult Avengers movies, Dr Strange animation movie, EMH Avengers series. To downright WTH. ULt Spidey first and most of second series (I admit its getting better.) Iron man & Cap Am: Heroes United and there is A Black Widow & someone else one but I've tottaly blanked on it at the moment.

Anyway enough grumbling I'm looking forward to this Supergirl series. But how long till saturation point?

Trailer was alright. Can't say it really wowed me or anything. Felt like it went on for too long and spent too much time on not-Supergirl characters. I intend to give the show a chance, though. I like the costume design, and it does seem to have a nice air of humor about it.

The main actress seems really solid, and it looks like they're going for a more fun tone like Flash, which is good. I like that they've got her not really knowing what she's doing yet but jumping in anyway. I hope the actual show doesn't have the constant annoying Grey's Anatomy-style soundtrack like the trailer, but yeah I'll give it a go.

Except she's not working for a fashion magazine, she's working at Catco, a media conglomerate started by cat grant, a former journalist, hence why they hired a pullitzer prize winning photographer to be their art director (Jimmy Olsen). Catco is basically the modern equivalent of the daily planet it seems.

Edited by undeadpool

But does she have to be an AA at a fashion magazine? She can't be a steel worker? Or a bus driver?

She's Supergirl. I'd say everything about this, including the fashion mag job, is 100% appropriate for the character.

I saw some people commenting that it's unbelievable that a girl with such power would every render herself so worthless and weak as an assistant to a "bitchy" boss at a magazine while acting like a total dork.

I don't see Superman getting criticism for doing the EXACT same thing. Why can't HE be a steel worker?

I'm just saying this:

People complained that AoU was degrading to women for it's portrayal of its lead female character.

SNL made a parody of what an over-the-top stereotypical chick flick starring a superheroine would look like.

DC released a totally unironic trailer for their Supergirl show, that looked STARTLINGLY like the SNL parody.

Or, to put it more simply, SNL said "it would be REALLY ridiculous if there was a superheroine movie that looked like THIS" only for DC to say "Hey, that's almost exactly what our superheroine TV show looks like."

Exactly,it's ridiculous to think a movie focussing on Black Widow would ignore her super spy background.

Supergirl however, is literally just given the Clark Kent story in this show and has all the quirky, cute charm she has in the comics. There's nothing wrong with female characters having vulnerability or character flaws, there is everything wrong with sexist writing that doesn't service the character by belittling her, that is not what is happening here.

Not to mention the trailer focuses on her life as an alien superhero just as much as her personal life

Golly, are all superheroines the same now? Is Black Widow identical to Supergirl? I thought we knew the difference here.

Of course treating Black Widow like that is ridiculous. She's a fucking Soviet assassin, raised to be a lethal weapon wrapped in hot sex, hence her code name.

Supergirl is a very different character. Just because they each have tits and a vagina doesn't mean they're the same character.

Replace Black Widow in that SNL parody with Supergirl and (Ultron notwithstanding) it works. It should work. But do the same in a real Black Widow movie and I'm betting you'd get a shit-ton of complaints from DC loyalists bitching that they're screwing up Supergirl big time.

::shrugs::

I stand by my opinion that this looks way more "Felicity" than I'd want and... to my point... comically like the BW skit. If you think that's all appropriate for a Supergirl movie, that's fine. Your call. I think they're pandering a bit and could have done something different; more unique.

Like what? Because any time someone in Hollywood comes up with some "unique" or "different" for an established property like this, "fans" go apeshit. (See Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.)

I'm just happy to be living in a time when we've got so many adaptations to bitch about and pass on after seeing a few seconds of footage.

I'm not passing on it. Not without an episode or two under my belt. I'm just skeptical.

I think something like Supergirl not having an alter ego and then having to figure it out would be way more interesting. A take on her where she shows up on earth as a late teen and is JUST Supergirl at first. Then, eventually, let a life creep in.

• 1 year later...

The first image for Season 2 of Supergirl is here.

Supergirl-TV-Superman-New-Costume.jpg

So Superman is going to be finally shown in the second series which is kinda cool. To be honest I think I prefer this suit over the BvS suit as its not as grimy an worn looking, also it has a belt. The red whatever it is on the BvS suit bugs me this one you know what it is.

It's certainly a change from the first shot of Cavill's Superman:

Man+of+Steel.jpg

I'm not sure if it's unflattering lighting or what but the new guy's face just looks wonky. His eyes seem too far apart and his jaw is off center. Give him a shave and a spit curl and show him in action and maybe he'll look a little more like a Man of Steel.