UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

A discussion about Marvel

NerdyTrev

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing Bendis has done that I enjoyed was probably Ultimate Spider-Man (both Miles and Peter).

Seconded. I though he gave a certain life to all the characters in that run that wasn't really there before.

The first Ultimate SM series was the first comic I ever picked up, so while everyone pretty much hates the UU, I'll always love it. For me, the Ultimates were THE Avengers for some period of time. And Ultimate Tony will forever be best Tony (plus, that armor is kick-ass!).

My favorite Bendis run has definitely been All-New X-men, I think it works because his tendency to rewrite characters personalities sorta goes in hand with these being version of the characters before any other writers had written them (more or less).

also Immonens art for the first 4 volumes was so much yes and Sorrentino now is incredible too

I sorta count Uncanny as a companion book to this, though I prefer ANXM

not defending his other runs, i just think his style fits this book.

Whedon and Aaron are still my go-to X-books

Edited by undeadpool

As a kid, I read DC in the 60s and 70s, anythign with Batman in it. Marvel never did anything for me (unless it was Superman duking it out with Spider-Man). They had some intriguing characters but I never cared as much for the art I saw.

In the 80s, Crisis on Infinite Earths got me back into comics after an almost decade-long hiatus. In college, some classmates introduced me to this Frank Miller guy who had written Daredevil and Wolverine and was about to publish a "Presige Format" Batman story. Then I started picking up back issues of The Incredible Hulk that were done by the guy who was revamping Superman for DC, John Byne. I even followed Todd McFarlane from Hulk to Spider-Man for a while but for the most part stuck with post-Crisis DC.

Into the mid- to late-90s, the only DC books I found entertaining were ones based on DC's excellent animated series. But while the Batman titles were consistently well drawn and written one-shots like the kind I enjoyed in my youth, the other titles were weak and I dropped them.

It was Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch's The Ultimates that hooked me on Marvel and Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man and his Daredevil run that kept me around for years after. Ultimate Spidey felt a lot like Batman Beyond (or maybe it was the other way around) while his Daredevil was The Sopranos with a vigilante. Since then I've read Ultimate Fantastic Four, lots of Punisher and Moon Knight, and most recently Hawkeye and Black Widow.

X-Men has never been my thing. I don't trust muties. I used to get comp issues at work, flip through the ones with decent art, and give them away. Maybe I'm just not into team books overall although I did enjoy Justice League back in the day. No Avengers, just Ultimates.

That's my Marvel comic book experience in a nutshell. Hellboy and BPRD and The Goon are in there as well as The Walking Dead and Saga and Powers. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others but those are the highlights.

Random thought: If Marvel ever allows Pixar to adapt one of their books, I'd love to see them take a stab at Moonshadow.

If you say so. To me, Hickman's writing is often much too obtuse.

It can get pretty Morissony at times, but I've enjoyed everything I've read from him. After Ultimates 3, the team was in a bad state, and Hickman revamped them. Sure, some of the concepts were crazy, but his Vol remains one of my favourite runs. The terrific art didn't hurt as well.

But yeah, I get your point. He tries to over-science all his projects and in the end most lines come out a bit silly (same thing happened with Interstellar).

Hickman luckily came in at a time when the Ultimates had lost their purpose, the Ultimate comics were created to bring a modern audience to marvel without needing to read years of continuity, but then it became just as convoluted as the 616 and lost its core purpose, Hickman and Bendis brought it back from the brink by simply trying new ideas seeing that the main line of comics have no found a formula to stay up to date while pushing things forward, and while its still suffering from some of the sins of its past, it is now servicing Hickman's secret wars, and that is worth it for his Ultimate Reed Richards, alone.

It can get pretty Morissony at times, but I've enjoyed everything I've read from him. After Ultimates 3, the team was in a bad state, and Hickman revamped them. Sure, some of the concepts were crazy, but his Vol remains one of my favourite runs. The terrific art didn't hurt as well.

But yeah, I get your point. He tries to over-science all his projects and in the end most lines come out a bit silly (same thing happened with Interstellar).

When he's off, his comics are just a mess of big, unexplored ideas. Infinity was a disappointment; it wasn't an Age of Ultron-level disaster, but it was way way too long with a lot of plot threads that ultimately didn't pay off very well. I suspect that his Avengers run overall, when it's all done, will feel pretty empty and unsatisfying.

When he's off, his comics are just a mess of big, unexplored ideas. Infinity was a disappointment; it wasn't an Age of Ultron-level disaster, but it was way way too long with a lot of plot threads that ultimately didn't pay off very well. I suspect that his Avengers run overall, when it's all done, will feel pretty empty and unsatisfying.

On that I have to agree. I liked Infinity, but it was so full of lines and lines and lines on top of other lines with some "sciency" bits thrown in there. I think that he draws his stories a lot, which hurts the issues in the long run. New Avengers I think is terrific, but Avengers is so-so. In the end, I think that the whole Hickman saga (from Shield to FF and Avengers) will read great and will be remembered, but none of the issues will particularly stand out.

See... I feel like the "Hickman saga" is the kind of comic book work that would translate well into a show or movie or even alternate reality... where someone gets to take the right really great concepts and moments from his run and remix them into something good. I'll put Hush in that same category. Take the core concept, which is intriguing, but rebuild it into a more viable end product

I disagree, I think even looking at Infinity as a separate story is a mistake, saying it has unresolved threads is just simply untrue seeing as it all services the Avengers saga as a whole, Marvel just billed it as a crossover event when it was just another chapter.

also its already been an incredibly satisfying run, so im intrigued to read the finale

I'm starting to suspect that Undeadpool is actually Joe Quesada. Not even Stan Lee in the 60s was as big a Marvel apologist.biggrin.png

The problem with Infinity isn't that it leaves plot threads dangling. The problem with Infinity is that the actual plots (The big space guys, and Thanos invading Earth) don't connect all that well at all. The defeat of the big space guys is entirely anti-climatic, and Thanos' plot just meanders around for page after page after page. He wrote this big, expansive book without really having the material to justify it.

The other problem with Hickman's Avengers, and it's entirely not his fault, is that it is effing moronic to have two concurrent Avengers books where they are tackling these huge universe-threatening problems without any connection. You're going into space to combat these insanely powerful beings. Don't you think you'd want to take along the Scarlet Witch? Or Havok? Aren't they Avengers? Aren't they Avengers right now? Oh, but they're Remender's Avengers, and that book apparently exists in another universe or something.wallbash.gif

I'm loving Hickman's Avengers, he definitely plays the long game and goes off in many directions all at once, but after FF I had no doubt it'd all come together in the end. Like Undeadpool said, Infinity was just a chapter bumped up to "event" by editorial, same as Secret Wars is really just the Hickman finale.

I'm not saying Hickmans run is without its flaws here and there, no one's perfect. But like me and battle cat have said, infinity wasn't meant to be a big climactic event, it was another chapter moving his story forward.

Also I think that not even marvel knows what remender is doing with his avengers so I understand Hickmans choice to steer clear of them

I'm starting to suspect that Undeadpool is actually Joe Quesada. Not even Stan Lee in the 60s was as big a Marvel apologist.biggrin.png

The problem with Infinity isn't that it leaves plot threads dangling. The problem with Infinity is that the actual plots (The big space guys, and Thanos invading Earth) don't connect all that well at all. The defeat of the big space guys is entirely anti-climatic, and Thanos' plot just meanders around for page after page after page. He wrote this big, expansive book without really having the material to justify it.

The other problem with Hickman's Avengers, and it's entirely not his fault, is that it is effing moronic to have two concurrent Avengers books where they are tackling these huge universe-threatening problems without any connection. You're going into space to combat these insanely powerful beings. Don't you think you'd want to take along the Scarlet Witch? Or Havok? Aren't they Avengers? Aren't they Avengers right now? Oh, but they're Remender's Avengers, and that book apparently exists in another universe or something.wallbash.gif

Hellpop gets it.

The idea of the two major Avengers stories happening concurrently made ZERO sense. The way both stories were written just didn't match up well.

As for Infinity and Hickman's book on its own... you introduce a concept so grandiose as "the architects of the universe" and say that they are nigh unto gods among men only to have them get pasted. Then you introduce all these OTHER mega threats that make them look like kittens. Guess what? I don't believe these NEW things will be any harder to beat in the end.