UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tales of Minimate Purchases

I'm sure we've all had our fair share of interesting experiences when it comes to how we acquired certain Minimates. Whether it's an-impossible-to-deal-with toy store and it's staff, an encounter with a sclaper, a trade that went perfectly or anything else, post your stories here!

Here's one of mine:

Me and my family were in Hong Kong the week that the "Venom TTA" Boxed Set came out and I managed to track down the, apparently, only two comic book stores in the entirety of Hong Kong. I attempted to inquire at both shops about said boxed set, but both clerks couldn't understand English. Just as I was on the verge of giving up, this man (a local comic book enthusiast, I believed) walks up to me and asks me in plain English what he could do to help. The man was nice enough to translate for me and I got my answers: both shops were sold out. As he bade me farewell, I thanked him and couldn't help but smile. You don't see that kind of kindness often nowadays, not even amongst the comic book community. happy.png

I responded to a 'Want list' from a member here for some Batman kubricks some 3 or 4 years back . There have been a few Batman themed kubricks but I had duplicates of nigh on everything on this guy's list so I Pm'd him with a low-key 'make me an offer for them '..... intending to trade what I had for some of the significant characters in his Minimate 'Have' list . His 'Have' list was broadly described as 'every marvel minimate character thus far' ..... so I sent him a 'cherry-picking list' as he clearly wanted to trade away some of his 'mates' for his new grail of Batman Kubricks . I don't really muck about when I'm trading.....in all honesty that list was not extensive but I'll admit I know 'my cherries' ...it was however fair . He agreed on the deal ....I was happy he was happy...addresses were exchanged ,boxes were packed , I waited & he waited for the goodies to arrive , he was in the US, I'm in the UK.

THE END.

A couple of weeks later he sends me an ecstatic PM thanking me for the kubricks & that he 'hoped I was happy' with the 'Minimates' that he had sent . Unfortunately at that point nothing had arrived from him unsure.png

Time passed until one day a strange package arrived ....I regularly order stuff online but I had no idea what this particular, large, heavy package was & it most certainly wasn't going to be those coupla dozen 'mates that damn Yank was going to send me mad.gif

I casually opened the box ....

I saw what was in the box.....

I sat down......

In that box was hundreds & hundreds of ziplocked Minimates which I later catalogued as every Marvel Minimate that had ever been produced,many with their alternative looks.

I Pm'd the guy explaining that this was all wrong ....very wrong ...that there was no way that he should have done this .

His reply was short ,sweet & quite humbling................something along the lines of........

.............Trade fairly & you will be rewarded .

Edited by buttheadsmate

"I was in the States for business a few months later, so i decided to track down my benefactor. It took some doing, but I found the address at the end of a long road though the prairie, an decrepit old clapboard house next to an ancient oak tree, rusty screen door banging in the breeze. I asked a farmer leaning against a fencepost where the owners were. 'Sonny, the folks what lived there died... oh about 50 years ago...nobody's live there since..."

happy.png

Edited by Lobsterman