UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Daredevil Netflix (& other show) minimates?

Roccothegreat

I think the reason the lack of plans for Daredevil 'mates bugs me so much is because ever since DST started making 'mates for the movies, and specifically the MCU 'mate, they have become more and more common, to the point where some years we get more movie waves than comic waves it feels like, and while I prefer the comic waves more I truly have to commend DST for having the most coverage of ANY company in terms of characters featured in the movies and while there have been some misses, mostly in the Thor waves, we have gotten almost every major character and supporting character in the MCU films, and whenever the Marvel series of films ends, we will be able to have a gigantic universe of 'mates from those films, and since I truly doubt that we will ever see a film series on that scale again, that is remarkable. But Chuck seeming rather uninterested in the Netflix shows now leaves a huge hole in the universe of the films, and he referenced all of them, not just Daredevil specifically. I can't make him have more confidence in the Netflix shows, and I can understand to some degree hesitation over the first season based on the number of civilians, but season two is shaping up to be full of costumes or otherwise named characters, and I think it has at least as much legitimacy as the Wolverine movie waves. If the Netflix shows never get 'mates, then the MCU 'mates will still be impressive, but they will be very incomplete from now on. It's just odd to see a corner of the Marvel world that has been very well represented so far be left out in the cold.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mattalica - You know Chuck reads the board, right? Not every day, but enough to know what everyone is talking about. He knows there's interest here, but there's interest for a lot of stuff, including TV shows we can't get the rights to and movies few people have ever seen. His comment alone showed that it was something he had looked into and thought about, he doesn't need me to tell him people like it.

So as far as "free info" goes, most Minimate collectors would like us to go after a new property, unless it will affect the release of lines they already collect. Which of course it will. Designer time, factory time and retailer wallets are not infinite. Although now it seems like many people want us to make these on principle, not due to any overwhelming want.

My comment about two people was not meant to represent the level of interest, only the number of letters we've gotten. We may have gotten more in advance, but I think it's only two since it actually aired.

And the Hot Topic comment was not directed at you, someone else had suggested that they might want some kind of exclusive. We see them every year.

I imagine that Hot Topic will be all over the Nightmare Before Christmas series.

As for Daredevil, I give up. It's just more frustration than I need for something that is supposed to be fun. Damn his eyes. Damn his britches. Damn his duckpond.

Mattalica - You know Chuck reads the board, right? Not every day, but enough to know what everyone is talking about. He knows there's interest here, but there's interest for a lot of stuff, including TV shows we can't get the rights to and movies few people have ever seen. His comment alone showed that it was something he had looked into and thought about, he doesn't need me to tell him people like it.

So as far as "free info" goes, most Minimate collectors would like us to go after a new property, unless it will affect the release of lines they already collect. Which of course it will. Designer time, factory time and retailer wallets are not infinite. Although now it seems like many people want us to make these on principle, not due to any overwhelming want.

My comment about two people was not meant to represent the level of interest, only the number of letters we've gotten. We may have gotten more in advance, but I think it's only two since it actually aired.

And the Hot Topic comment was not directed at you, someone else had suggested that they might want some kind of exclusive. We see them every year.

I admit im confused, what the heck is the point of comments that make it look like its on us to let Chuck know via Ask DST that we have interest only to then be shot down with he already reads the board or knows there is interest, what the hell is the point!?

on a separate point,i found this line interesting "......unless it will affect the release of lines they already collect. Which

of course it will. Designer time, factory time and retailer wallets are

not infinite"

when we have always been told that new lines, or sets (the Peter pan sets come to mind) would NOT affect other lines we collect.

Edited by Mattallica

I'd love a daredevil minimate from the show, and as soon as I finished watching the show I emailed brobot asking him about a custom. But to me since the whole steaming services started making their own shows is still only a few years old, this is a relatively young concept to the world of merchandising. Arrested development season 4 came out some time ago on netflix and I just recently was able to buy a physical copy of it. It makes sense to me that there isnt a lot of merch for streaming service shows because its a new thing. Maybe we'll get daredevil later but Im not going to sweat it.

Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc all have a buttload of original content at this point. Lots of them I never hear anyone talking about and only know about them from looking into it myself. Daredevil is different since its a comic show that on par or better with a lot of comic book movies, and it ties into the mcu which everyone seems to be caught up with or is catching up with. We dont have a lot of TV show lines as it is, and even fewer that come out while the line is on the air. So why should a show in a premium online format be any different when netflix doesnt even reveal their ratings like broadcast shows do? Im thankful for what we have and Im sure when DD shows up in infinity war he'll be part of the plethora of assortments related to that movie. I can wait if it comes down to it.

As for Daredevil, I give up. It's just more frustration than I need for something that is supposed to be fun. Damn his eyes. Damn his britches. Damn his duckpond.

Agreed

How many questions about Daredevil would be expected after it was pretty much shot down? I suspect most of us don't really want to Lee Burns Ask DST, even if it might help.

Agreed

Chuck gave an answer people had questions about. I thought a follow up question would elucidate things, especially as there was new data. Lee asked for Carnage 57 times, albeit in a very positive and non-judgmental way. Not exactly the same thing.

And yeah, getting DD Minimates would take away from other Marvel comic 'mates, a common complaint and a frequently observed phenomenon. That's different from people saying that we chose Gotham (or whatever) over Daredevil. One did not affect the other.

Edited by DSTZach

Mattalica, I don't know what other marketing supervisors do -- they seem to be more involved in line planning at some companies...

And we actually are going to be working with Hot Topic, believe it or not. Not on Daredevil, though.

First of all, you're welcome for pointing Hot Topic in your direction. I'm sure my hand-written notes suggesting Minimates as a brand to look into had everything to do with their interest in it. We can discuss my finder's fee offline. ;)

Your description of line planners describes my entire "marketing" department to a T. I can't really refer to them as marketing. They're product managers, overseeing the development of product from concept and approval to sales and distribution. No focus groups, no interaction with end consumers, and generally not much knowledge of licensed properties and their demographic. It's not very intuitive.

It's just odd to see a corner of the Marvel world that has been very well represented so far be left out in the cold.

Agreed. If it really is about ratings then I imagine DD would have to beat Agents of SHIELD in order to even be considered. Unless, like I said, a retailer ponied up and said, "Hell, yeah! Gimme some of those Netflix Daredevil Minimates, Chuck! Here's the check!"

Mattalica, I don't know what other marketing supervisors do -- they seem to be more involved in line planning at some companies...

And we actually are going to be working with Hot Topic, believe it or not. Not on Daredevil, though.

First of all, you're welcome for pointing Hot Topic in your direction. I'm sure my hand-written notes suggesting Minimates as a brand to look into had everything to do with their interest in it. We can discuss my finder's fee offline. wink.png

:D Like I said, they've been coming to the booth for years. Not sure they've stocked much in a while, but they seem to be on board now. Will announce later.

It's just odd to see a corner of the Marvel world that has been very well represented so far be left out in the cold.

Agreed. If it really is about ratings then I imagine DD would have to beat Agents of SHIELD in order to even be considered. Unless, like I said, a retailer ponied up and said, "Hell, yeah! Gimme some of those Netflix Daredevil Minimates, Chuck! Here's the check!"

I still think their own marketing and release schedule for DD plays a role, but I'm pretty sure that's more or less accurate, given that licensing for both shows probably works about the same. But Ask DST! :D

Barnes & Noble just got the Gotham SDCC exclusive. Maybe they'd be interested in offering DD.

BAM! might want to counter B&N's Minimates exclusive with a Daredevil one of their own.

If it's the SDCC mates, BAM might have them, I work for their sister company 2nd and Charles and we carry the Gotham 2 pack, plus the Turtles 4 pack & eventually the Ant Man four pack. And I tell everybody I can that we should carry more Minimates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

0EA97126-14BE-40A4-85A8-309EAEEB7FC8_zps

Was not expecting these guys to show up but here they are. Frank has an extra set of arms with rolled up sleeves (pictured) so you can display him with or without the trenchcoat. Matt has a hairpiece for a maskless look. Overall not a bad set although it seems Frank's body armor should be sculpted.