Bronze Meddling Wave 6: Villains for Hire [pg12]

elhonez

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9521pqqi5mxzi7u6wc8nyx

I wanted to combine "Heroes for Hire" and "Daughters of the Dragon" in some clever way that ultimately eluded me. Somehow "Daughters for Hire" felt inappropriate...

I'm going to do something a little different and just disclose the two-packs. Most of them are going to be updates of stuff you've seen before in this thread, though not for years. Pics will come when they're done.

1. Colleen Wing and Misty Knight

As is my wont, these are indexed on their OHOTMU looks. With a leg swap option for Colleen, since I couldn't find any actual issues in which she looked like her OHOTMU appearance.

2. El Aguila and Thunderbolt

These two will be largely unchanged. I'm going to update Aguila's sword and give him an energy effect option.

3. Professor Alphonse Gamble and an Incinerator

This Dr. Who knock-off and (suddenly more relevant) TVA-related character appeared in Loki season 2, sort of, as the gender-swapped "Judge Gamble." He's getting a facelift, and a teacup for good measure. The Fake Dalek will still look like a Fake Dalek.

4. Crimebuster II and Firefly

The heavy lifting will come here, with loads of paint and decals. As near as I can tell, these are loosely related to characters that originally appeared in Nova. I thought Firefly might be easy to knock out. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

Apart from the new-newness, Colleen will be the most changed/updated. Because this was an abomination:

4933193581_854f967107_o.jpg

Edited by elhonez

Mostly to keep myself accountable, here's an update:

They're all done save for one part I'm waiting on, but I won't be able to finish the last one until after some pending travel. Latest ETA is the weekend of the 27th. It's got a "sleeper hit" for me, a mate I was surprised to like so much after it came together. I wonder if anyone will share my sentiment, or be able to guess which one I'm referring to? 

Wave 5 will be a freakily freewheelin' fast follow, full of finished figures. It only requires minor updates for three mates, but I hope they improve their overall aesthetic. The wave name would be silly to play HangMate with, so here it is: K'un-Lun.

Wave 6 will include a mate with the most ambitious decals I've attempted to date. Since I have to pair the decals with a paint match, I'm still not certain how well it will land. We'll see...

Wave 7 is in the distant future at this point, but it will mark my last planned wave for the PMIF theme. There will be four net-new customs for me in this wave, including a last-minute QC-ish addition born of some parts serendipity I discovered. Another figure in this wave will require some experimentation with a new paint type that I'll say more on later, if it works. Or even if it doesn't (that might make for a more interesting story anyway).

• 2 weeks later...
  • elhonez changed the title to Bronze Meddling Wave 4: Daughters and Heroes [pg11]

Thanks! I'm glad you like 'em.

4 hours ago, Kotter Comics said:

I'm embarrassed by how few of these characters I know

Oh man, no need for embarrassment here. These are some deep-deep cuts. At one point I thought I was done with PMIF MiniMates, but I decided that I at least needed to do anyone who'd appeared on a cover. And that dragged me down a whole new rabbit hole of obscurity with their related characters.

53495184440_d2f195115b_b.jpg

"The Ninja" and Master Khan

I made some minor mods to the Ninja, including the "Book of Many Things," a mystic book from which his bound soul could inhabit a human host body. For Master Khan, I added the pink fringes to his sleeves for comic accuracy and a bit more visual interest.

Steel Serpent and Lei Kung the Thunderer

A father and son two-pack. I updated Steel Serpent's green to be more comic-accurate, and printed a decal to capture the unique texture of his loincloth. For Lei Kung, I was never satisfied with the painted Bullseye mask, so i printed decals instead. 

H'ylthri and Ferocia

No changes to either. Fun fact: as a plant person from K'un Lun, this H'ylthri is technically an army builder.

Yu-Ti and Shao Lao the Undying

No Iron Fist collection would be complete without the "August Person in Jade" and the dragon that conferred the power of the iron fist to its namesake. No changes here. I had "halved" and glued a MiniMate head to create a moving joint between the torso pieces, and initially had more sections. It never quite worked out though. If I ever re-did this guy, I'd forego the joint and simply stack torso pieces for a cleaner look.

As always, if you'd like to attempt any of these I'm happy to share recipes. 

Edited by elhonez

• elhonez changed the title to Bronze Meddling Wave 5: K'un-Lun [pg11]
15 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

Great stuff! I really like the first character, the black ninja guy.

And your "test pilot" made it into the group as well, albeit cosplaying as a wizard. :D

On 1/29/2024 at 12:54 AM, elhonez said:

53495184440_d2f195115b_b.jpg

"The Ninja" and Master Khan

I made some minor mods to the Ninja, including the "Book of Many Things," a mystic book from which his bound soul could inhabit a human host body. For Master Khan, I added the pink fringes to his sleeves for comic accuracy and a bit more visual interest.

Steel Serpent and Lei Kung the Thunderer

A father and son two-pack. I updated Steel Serpent's green to be more comic-accurate, and printed a decal to capture the unique texture of his loincloth. For Lei Kung, I was never satisfied with the painted Bullseye mask, so i printed decals instead. 

H'ylthri and Ferocia

No changes to either. Fun fact: as a plant person from K'un Lun, this H'ylthri is technically an army builder.

Yu-Ti and Shao Lao the Undying

No Iron Fist collection would be complete without the "August Person in Jade" and the dragon that conferred the power of the iron fist to its namesake. No changes here. I had "halved" and glued a MiniMate head to create a moving joint between the torso pieces, and initially had more sections. It never quite worked out though. If I ever re-did this guy, I'd forego the joint and simply stack torso pieces for a cleaner look.

As always, if you'd like to attempt any of these I'm happy to share recipes. 

These are absolutely amazing!

Edited by Padrino