UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Marvel Title to be announced tomorrow on The View

Zylek

Yeah, this is like saying someone else is going to be the new Clark Kent. I never considered "Thor" as a legacy role. It's the guy's name.

That said, way back when Marvel's Thor was first introduced, Mjolnir gave Donald Blake the power of Thor. It was more like Captain Marvel uttering "SHAZAM!" to get his powers. Now there's a new person worthy of that power whose identity will be revealed later.

I'm betting she's Donald Blake daughter.

I thought Marvel ret-conned Donald Blake into being an imaginary character that Odin created to teach Thor humility. There was never an actual human Donald Blake, just a depowered Thor with alternate memories of a life that never existed?

Either way, I want Minimates of both Nu-Thor and Nu-Cap.

I have mixed feelings about these changes.

I'm all for legacy characters, mantles passed down from one generation to the next. That's fine.

I also understand the point of view that says, "Stop screwing with these already popular characters and just make a new one." Because after all, if no one did anything new, we'd be on our 475th version of Superman by now instead of having other characters like Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc.

Honestly, my biggest concern when I read Sam was going to be the new Cap was, "We're losing Falcon?"

But yeah, some really cool Minimates designs coming from all this. That's always a plus in my book.

I thought Marvel ret-conned Donald Blake into being an imaginary character that Odin created to teach Thor humility. There was never an actual human Donald Blake, just a depowered Thor with alternate memories of a life that never existed?

That was the retcon, yes. I don't recall the internet going apeshit when that change was made though. ;)

Discriminated against? I guess I missed all the stories about women not being allowed to buy comics.

The name thing is the most annoying part to me. Thor isn't an identity that's passed around, it's the name of an actual character. If they want to have a woman wield Mjolnir that's fine but it's silly to call her Thor while the real Thor is still walking around.

Incorrect. Heck, we've even got a minimate of someone else that was Thor. Eric Masterson was Thor, god of thunder in Asgard, while Thor was banished.

Anyway, Thor: God of Thunder is a great series. Jason Aaron is really doing great work there. This might be a gimmick, but that doesn't mean it won't be good. Marvel had gotten pretty good at their gimmick game. See, ie, the return of Bucky, the death of Captain America, the death of Peter Parker and replacement by SpOck. All gimmicks. All great stories.

Wasn't Masterson posing as Thor? As in people thought it was the same guy. I don't recall the real Thor hanging around at the same time. When he did come back Masterson switched to Thunderstrike. Whatever the deal with this new character is she's certainly not fooling anyone into believing she's the real Thor.

• 6 months later...

It's kind of fun, kind of sad that all of the writers at Marvel seem to have the freedom to do whatever bat-shit crazy stuff they want to at the moment. Fun, because, I'm all for comics being an evolving medium and telling new stories; sad because it's most likely going to be marching in lockstep with the movies after the Secret Wars hard reboot.

I'm sad the X-men are going away. :(

I'm sad the X-men are going away. sad.png

Wait - what? O_o

SW is not even a reboot. It'll still be 616 but with some characters from other universes. Now there are only 22 left and when SW happens, there'll be just one. So no,I don't think the X-Men are going away. Maybe they'll get a couple of old/news faces back/to join, but other than that, if the 616 characters survive, they'll still be the same characters. It's not a case of altering their past or anything, 616 Kitty will have the same origin, but after SW Ultimate Kitty may be staying there as well, with her Ultimate origin.

Excuse my ignorance but what is "The comic drop"?

No excuses needed! The Comic Drop is one of the new weekly shows me and Brobotc are hosting dedicated to everything geek! This one is specifically about what comics came out each week and what my personal picks were and why.

Have they announced when they are revealing the identity of the new Thor?

I read the first issue or two, so my barely informed guess is Namorita... because I want her to be doing something (after she was killed and brought back she was kinda forgotten). Also, she's got Roxxon issues. The helmet wings are like extensions of her pointy ears, and she's even got wings on her boots. I know it's probably not her, but I can pretend it is.

Edited by JeffBohn

Wait - what? O_o

SW is not even a reboot. It'll still be 616 but with some characters from other universes. Now there are only 22 left and when SW happens, there'll be just one. So no,I don't think the X-Men are going away. Maybe they'll get a couple of old/news faces back/to join, but other than that, if the 616 characters survive, they'll still be the same characters. It's not a case of altering their past or anything, 616 Kitty will have the same origin, but after SW Ultimate Kitty may be staying there as well, with her Ultimate origin.

Granted, "x-men going away" is speculation, However:

My impression of the "meta" of (slash "business case" for) SW was to streamline all of the messy continuity into something more closely aligned with the cinematic universe going forward. Like, what happens in the movies is what's happening in the books. Also, kind of a big eff you to Fox, who are apparently not planning to relinquish rights to those two legacy pieces of Marvel history, Fantastic Four and X-men. With Fox talking about doing an X-men tv series now, I would not be at all surprised to see Marvel decide to torch the X-men outright during Secret Wars, move forward with Inhumans as the new Mutants for the MU, and maybe even sell off the X-men IP to Fox entirely. It seems obvious from the direction in the comics that the X-men are increasingly irrelevant to events in the MU as a whole – they've almost become a niche universe anyway. It's either continue to spend money making books that don't align with the overall company business model, shelve the franchise out of pure spite, or recoup the significant value of it to reinvest in their core properties.

This isn't about what makes sense in the stories, this is pure business. And Disney is nothing if not disciplined in business.

Edited by Lobsterman

Wait - what? O_o

My impression of the "meta" of (slash "business case" for) SW was to streamline all of the messy continuity into something more closely aligned with the cinematic universe going forward. Like, what happens in the movies is what's happening in the books. Also, kind of a big eff you to Fox, who are apparently not planning to relinquish rights to those two legacy pieces of Marvel history, Fantastic Four and X-men. With Fox talking about doing an X-men tv series now, I would not be at all surprised to see Marvel decide to torch the X-men outright during Secret Wars, move forward with Inhumans as the new Mutants for the MU, and maybe even sell off the X-men IP to Fox entirely. It seems obvious from the direction in the comics that the X-men are increasingly irrelevant to events in the MU as a whole – they've almost become a niche universe anyway. It's either continue to spend money making books that don't align with the overall company business model, shelve the franchise out of pure spite, or recoup the significant value of it to reinvest in their core properties.

This isn't about what makes sense in the stories, this is pure business. And Disney is nothing if not disciplined in business.

This sounds like it is all speculation. Sources? thx

Wait - what? O_o

Well, they are going to streamline it all and IMHO, that a good thing. Good characters from AUs can now interact with the ones from the main continuity, without any time-travel or dimension hopping event involved. Thing is, it's not a reboot so the whole "they're going to make the MCU the new Comic Universe and all backstories will be the same" can't happen. Pym will still be the creator of Ultron, Parker Spider-Man and Thor a god and not simply an alien.

As for the X-Men, nah, I don't it. Marvel still caters to the X brand, with new books replacing the old ones and having top creators working on them. They're currently having a crossover with GotG and Nova, they were half the main focus in AXIS, and Uncanny Avengers is basically the Avengers and X-Men bridge. Secret Wars will feature the X-Men and I don't see any indication that Marvel will "erase" them, apart from the conspiracy theorists on the comic forums. Could it happen based on the success of the MCU and the fact that Marvel doesn't own the film rights? Sure. But they still own the TV rights so Fox can't make a TV show without Marvel's consent. If it happens, then it'll just show that Marvel still profits from the X-Men.

Marvel's been pushing for The Inhumans to succeed the X-Men for almost a year.

X-Men don't appear in their consumer products style guide. They're not appearing in cartoons and they're noticably absent from the Disney Infinity 2.0 game characters.

If licensees really want to offer X-product, they can but they're certainly not encouraged to. It's also my understanding that while Marvel Comics has top talent continuing to work on X-titles, they're forbidden to create new characters which Fox can in turn leverage. It's bad enough they've got so much story material from which to draw. That's why they're doing crossovers with properties that Fox can't use.

For what it's worth, I think this is more Disney than Marvel trying to screw with Fox but then again, Ike Perlmutter is a notorious bastard. Either way, though Marvel could be making more money off the X-franchise by supporting Fox's films, 1) they don't need to and 2) it's a drop in the bucket compared to what they could be making if they had the rights back.

Marvel's been pushing for The Inhumans to succeed the X-Men for almost a year.

X-Men don't appear in their consumer products style guide. They're not appearing in cartoons and they're noticably absent from the Disney Infinity 2.0 game characters.

If licensees really want to offer X-product, they can but they're certainly not encouraged to. It's also my understanding that while Marvel Comics has top talent continuing to work on X-titles, they're forbidden to create new characters which Fox can in turn leverage. It's bad enough they've got so much story material from which to draw. That's why they're doing crossovers with properties that Fox can't use.

For what it's worth, I think this is more Disney than Marvel trying to screw with Fox but then again, Ike Perlmutter is a notorious bastard. Either way, though Marvel could be making more money off the X-franchise by supporting Fox's films, 1) they don't need to and 2) it's a drop in the bucket compared to what they could be making if they had the rights back.

All good points, and it's true that the X stuff don't get as much attention as the MCU properties, but I don't see Marvel retiring them completely. As for the new characters thing, all the kids in Uncanny and the Jean Grey School books, are pretty new.

Marvel can't retire the X-Men completely without risking losing the trademark. They'll continue to publish because they have to but I'd expect any major stories to involve MCU properties just to keep them out of Fox's hands.

I'm not familiar with the new X-characters you're referring to but it might be a matter of not creating new title characters. Claremont wasn't very specific.

Marvel can't retire the X-Men completely without risking losing the trademark. They'll continue to publish because they have to but I'd expect any major stories to involve MCU properties just to keep them out of Fox's hands.

I'm not familiar with the new X-characters you're referring to but it might be a matter of not creating new title characters. Claremont wasn't very specific.

True, true. Thing is, the whole "anti-mutant" thing just doesn't work anymore and, if I'm being honest, I'm pretty darn excited to see the focus shift to the Inhumans. As for the new characters, the JG ones are pure rubbish, but the Uncanny ones are pretty darn great.