UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My Biggest Doctor Who Annoyance!

Polarboy

My once beloved Doctor Who has turned into a rancid pile of Macra dung, since the start of the 11th doctor there have seriously been about 3 good episodes. Anyway that is not what has caused me to vent my own personal doctor related bug bear. That honour belongs to the fans who feel the need to correct people that call the character Doctor Who!

In the show the character has referred to himself as Doctor Who, other characters have referred to him as Doctor Who, he was credited for years in the shows credits as Doctor Who even his vanity plates on the whomobile had WHO on them.

Ok I will crawl back in my hole now somewhat freer of that insane burden. ;)

The worst part of anything can be it's fans. (Except Minimates, of course)

I've gotten to where I just avoid "fan" discussions on Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, comics, video games, etc. Most "fans" lack the ability to understand that not everyone is going to agree with them 100% on their opinions.

Take Doctor Who. There's been 11 Doctors. So there's a 1 in 11 chance that your favorite Doctor and another fan's favorite Doctor are the same. Is that kind of thing worth getting all bent out of shape about?

And the teeth-gnashing that goes on among Star Trek fans regarding the JJ Abrams reboot. Some people have the attitude that if they don't like the JJ-verse, then no one is allowed to. (And then they fail to realize it's the media exposure of JJ Trek that gets us classic Trek minimates and Blu-Ray restorations of TNG! So JJ Trek isn't 100% bad, but some people won't listen to that)

Hehe, DW fandom is fun.

For what its worth the explanation of the "Doctor" prefix of Doctor Who has got even muddier now that its implied that regardless of if thats his name or if he chose that title/name the only reson we have Doctors and Doctorates and the like is in honour of him throughout the ages.

The "The Doctor" versus "Doctor Who" or "Doctor" thing is unanswerable, there have been plenty of occasions (even depending on your view of canonicity) that have him presenting himself in various ways, even things such as the credits changed over time. Its almost impossible to apply flawless reasoning to a show that, by its own admission, changed all sorts over time. The original regeneration was him simply using the Tardis to rejuvinate his body and his second one was an enforce changing of identity by the Timelords, it was only with further development that these were retconned into regenerations.