UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toy Fair 2013

groundhog7s

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder Woman looks AMAZING.

Green Lantern...looks like a woman and should be burned immediately. Curious as to why they wouldn't start with Superman, with Man of Steel so close.

I still can't get over getting 3 Jeans, 2 Hawkeyes, 2 Cyclopses, and an Emma in Legends. Great sets coming there; i'll actually have to pre-order cases for once.

Power Lords! Could they actually happen? Would seem to have a very niche custom base, but I would buy the main blue/orange guy. Star of one of the most iconic comic book ads from my childhood, if nothing else :D

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/gallery2/album/TF2013-4-Horsemen-Toypocalypse-3-ExtraTOYrrestrial/index.php?page=1

Just watched an interview from Toy Fair with the president of Funko. It's amazing to hear him talk about getting properties like it's no big deal (and how it feels to get locked out by Mezco for Breaking bad). It just simply amazes me how easily they seem to do it (including upcoming Pop product from Hanna Barbera, Looney Tunes and ThunderCats). It also shows how easily WB will work with someone (which lead to the invention of Pop figures), which adds to the speculation that there must be something between them and DST. And what must be the hardest thing to see in the video; in the background you can see that their booth is right next to DST. I seriously wonder if it was hard being next to a company that is getting tons of properties and is having major retailers asking for your different products. Just an interesting video all around.

Edited by groundhog7s

Do those POPs require an action figure/toy license? I had just assumed it was so easy for them to get so many licenses because it would be under a much narrower product category. I remember hearing that was how they used to get so many licenses for the bobble heads, because they didn't technically count as toys or something?

Edited by battlecat

I do believe they need a toy license. I think the key to them is that maybe they just get a license for a small part of a bigger license. Since they're only going for the bigger names in the properties they acquire, they sell more because they don't have to unload a bunch of second tier characters. I can't be much different than companies like McFarlane or NECA that do one or two characters from a film franchise.

Or it is just a deal with Satan. If so, perhaps DST should reconsider how they do business.