UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ask DST #5 Questions Answered

Jatta Pake

Questions answered over at AA.

http://artasylum.com/forum/index.php?topic=574.0;topicseen

I know a couple of members refuse to go over there for their own reasons so I am cutting and pasting here with apologies to Brandon and the crew at AA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right on the heels of Q&A with DST #4 we're moving ahead with #5! This time for our Marvel Minimate friends.

That's right: ask all your Marvel Minimate questions here for DST to answer!

Let the questions begin!

- Brandon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here are the answers!

OMEGAmatt asks:

Does DST plan to pick up the pace a bit on getting more Marvel Minimates out in 2007? I know that DC Direct plans on really getting a bunch of 'mates out in '07 and i was hoping that DST will come close in matching 'em.

DSTChuck: We'll we've been at this a buit longer then DC Direct so maybe we shoudl let them cath up a little but we've got a full plate of MM planned for 07 and Marvel is a part of that.

Will series 15 be new marvel universe minimates or will it probably be Ghost Rider movie minimates instead?

DSTChuck: Its too early to say..

Will we finally be getting a Thor minimate in 2007?

DSTChuck: We sure hope so!

Any chance we might be getting some new Spidey villians in 2007? I was thinking of Electro, Mysterio, and Kraven in particular...

DSTChuck: We're not 100% sure yet of our release sked but I think everyone is aware of my fondness for Spidey.

Will we be getting any smaller, slightly more obscure characters in 2007? Maybe Antman or Yellowjacket?

DSTChuck: No plans for anything other then the traditional size.

Do you think there's any chance of us getting at least 5 waves of marvel minimates in 2007?

DSTChuck: IF EVERYTHING goes right then its possible.

Jatta Pake asks:

Have the Target "rolling stock" 2-pack Minimates sales been meeting expectations?

DSTChuck: AT or slightly below expectations.

The "blue suit" Professor X seems to be a hit with collectors, as well as the improved "blue" Iceman. Any plans to shake things up with more Target variants in future rolling stock?

DSTChuck: Once we set up the master grid for Marvel for the year we'll see if there are spots we can pick and choose but the Target near me has a good stock of Iceman.

Is there a planned end to Marvel Minimates in the future? For example, does the license for Marvel Minimates time out at a certain date, or does DST plan to make Marvel Minimates for as long as they can?

DSTChuck: As long as our license allows and sales support is there we'll be making more of the little guys.

Is there any chance we would see a Marvel/DC mix series?

DSTChuck: I don't see how that could happen.

Plus, how about a 'fan' wave? Where fans could submit minimate ideas, and the best ones could be voted on?

DSTChuck: We have nothing like that currently planned.

drgnrbrn316 asks:

In the past, it was stated that X-Men 3 minimates would be a separate entity from the Marvel minimate line. Why the decision to combine the two into Wave 14? Will all future movie lines see the same treatment?

DSTChuck: IF you'd like you can rename the wave X3 wave series1. Its just a numbering thing the presence of the X-Men did NOT block a wave of classic product from coming out that's what we mean by separate.

With the DC minimates featuring a wider range of characters, particularly villains, what can we expect from the Marvel line to keep up? I know rehashes of Spidey and Wolverine are always a given, but can we please get more of their friends and enemies? Why no regular Sabretooth, Omega Red, Weapon X alumni, Sinister Six, updated Goblin, extended X-Men roster, Slingers, Outlaws, etc? I realize not all characters are as big or popular, but there are numerous villains that frequent the spotlight in Marvel that are long overdue for the minimate treatment.

DSTChuck: We've done some pretty strange and obscure characters and we'll continue to pick and choose those as we can.

We know that there isn't much play above the 2" mark as far as licensing goes, but is there any way to go smaller? Perhaps, package a 2" Wasp and Antman with miniature versions of themselves as accessories. Also, if the DC minimates are a big hit with their varying heights, do you think there's any chance the Marvel license could be changed in the future?

DSTChuck: We have no plans to create a "scale" for the Marvel line- they will continue to be all one size.

Why were some of the more obvious choices for waves 12 and 13 overlooked? Colossus would have looked far more impressive with a chest piece similar to Beast's. Wolverine would have looked awesome in a mask. DOFP Wolverine would have looked better sporting a New X-Men Wolverine jacket. Ronin would have been suited with at least a couple sticks to rub together. I realize these lines were more spur of the moment to get a product out, but when the delays hit, couldn't that time have been used to fine-tune the figures?

DSTChuck: Isn't that part of the fun in being a collector you get to second guess this stuff and look over it??

Finally, why don't the figures feature paint details on the sides, shoes, and some cases back anymore? Captain America's lack of detail was blatantly obvious when it went from red and white stripes to just a solid bar of white on the side. Wolverine, Colossus, and others featured belts painted on the front and back, but nothing on the side. It's not that the machines can't do it, because we've seen details on the sides of the original Cap, all Spider-Men, and even Venom. In the past we've seen details painted on the feet, and not just the old style feet but the C3 feet as well, but in this wave, there was no line on the front of Wolverine's feet. Are these signs of things to come or was this mostly an oversight in the design process?

DSTChuck: Minimates are an ongoing education and process and we try slightly different approaches from time to time and see how they would work and how it affects things like overall cost..or budgets can be re-allocated in other places.

Can we expect more from X-Men 3 movie mates, or is Wave 14 the end of that line? With so many characters such as Mystique, Magneto, Rogue, Iceman, Angel, etc yet to be made, it just seems like there's room for more. The variant can be the human Mystique from when she first lost her powers and was naked in the back of the truck.

DSTChuck: Right now its planned as a one wave kind of thing.

cdubya asks:

Is there any chance of the strictly 2" limit being revised in the near future for the Marvel line to incorporate 2.5" (larger or smaller)?

DSTChuck: See above.

TITAN asks:

Any chance of Captain Britain , Thor or Hawkeye ?

DSTChuck: Some of these have been considered from time to time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Chuck!

« Last Edit: 11/13/06 09:10 PM by AsylumDude »

Interesting, but werent the more questions that that originally, or am I going mad?

I don't think Fuji's questions made the cut, nor some of the other non-Marvel questions.

I found it interesting that we're hoping for five waves this coming year. Wonder if that includes the X3 sets?

Other interesting tidbits:

• No more X-Men 3 minimates
  • No set Wave 15
  • Possibility for obscure characters and villains
  • Possibility for Thor
  • Zero chance for size variations in Marvel's future
  • No crossovers, at least not with DC
  • No fan's choice
  • Target isn't doing quite as well as they hoped
  • And apparently I'm nitpicking when I think they should have reused more parts last time around
Anyone else think whole cases of Wolverine/Iceman hurt the Target sales?

Why were some of the more obvious choices for waves 12 and 13 overlooked? Colossus would have looked far more impressive with a chest piece similar to Beast's. Wolverine would have looked awesome in a mask. DOFP Wolverine would have looked better sporting a New X-Men Wolverine jacket. Ronin would have been suited with at least a couple sticks to rub together. I realize these lines were more spur of the moment to get a product out, but when the delays hit, couldn't that time have been used to fine-tune the figures?

DSTChuck: Isn't that part of the fun in being a collector you get to second guess this stuff and look over it??

Yeah, anyone else find this as just low? So the fun is getting to guess why we're being screwed over? Some fun...

Yeah, anyone else find this as just low? So the fun is getting to guess why we're being screwed over? Some fun...

I think I pissed him off with a couple of my questions. Like when he told me I could just call Wave 14 the "X-Men 3 Wave 1".

Pity I didn't ask what the deal was with all the legs snapping, etc.

I think I pissed him off with a couple of my questions. Like when he told me I could just call Wave 14 the "X-Men 3 Wave 1".

'

Please... how can you possibly piss him off with that? You're the customer, he's supposed to make you 'happy'. If there was a problem with lack of accessories he should've explained you.

Interesting, but werent the more questions that that originally, or am I going mad?

I don't think Fuji's questions made the cut, nor some of the other non-Marvel questions.

Yeah, my questions got bumped into the Ask DST #6: BSG and other Licenses.

I'm pretty sure that's AA's domain as they do the manufacturing.

Anyone else think whole cases of Wolverine/Iceman hurt the Target sales?

I really don't think so, I happen to see they have actually nearly sold out at about 6 local Targets.

It is interesting, I wonder if it's the delay in putting them out on the shelves. Probably the problem came in in past rolling stock dragged to sell.

Its sarcasm, Chuck likes sarcasm

Sorry. It's still lousy sarcasm and beating around the question.

Ady's Right, Chuck has always answered these sorts of things fairly cryptically and with a dry sense of humor.

I'm fairly sure he does this sort of thing cos it's fun for him to tease us and mess with our heads a little :), But there are also gems to be gleaned from his answers if you know how to read them.

He isn't obliged to answer anything (and does so in his own time, rumor has it often at home in from of the TV.), we've been over the fact that he's not going to break news in a Q&A many times, I'm surprised you havent realised that by now.

And dont forget The AA wesite has regular DST Q&A's but not one from AA...

T.

Ady's Right, Chuck has always answered these sorts of things fairly cryptically and with a dry sense of humor.

I'm fairly sure he does this sort of thing cos it's fun for him to tease us and mess with our heads a little :)

Yes he has even openly admitted it in one of the Q&As. Plus I'm sure it's something he should not reveal.

I bet Chuck gets sick of the same old "can you do "character X" as a mini?" or "Can you make character X a different size?" questions. Its a shame the "ask DST" isn't done here because we could roll out the previously answered questions and cut out a lot of the same queries.

I feel compelled to make a comment, but, I, can't, think.... Seriously I think we should appreciate anything we can get out of the guy. He doesn't have any obligation to tell us a thing and I bet you're right in he's probably sitting in front of the tv laptop on one tv tray, meatloaf tv dinner on the other. I work for a manufacturer and employees often get less information about new product than he gave, sarcasm or not. Though he probably should have added a humor tag...

Hey, I'm thankful for what information we do get, and I'm sure they get tired of the whole "When will we get Thor, Moon Knight, Aunt May, etc?" questions, since even if they knew, they aren't allowed to release that information to a website, particularly one not officially sanctioned by AA/DST. It's fun trying to come up with a question that they can give us a straight answer about, such as the future of X-Men 3 minimates, etc.

I'm used to the dry sarcasm from Chuck, but it still came across as a little more smart-assy than normal this time when he told me I could rename my own X-Men minimates into a separate line, or when he said it was fun to second guess things after having the product in hand.

Funny thing about the Target GSXM set 2 packs. Some of my Target's haven't gotten any of them. I had to go out of my way to get the "Blue Suit" Prof. X. Also I haven't even seen the Wolvie-Iceman pack. I'd definitely buy it if I ever saw it. Weird how for some people they're clogging the shelves and others have never seen them.

I agree about the GSXM at Target. Indiana Targets seem to suck compared to what is found at others. I've been to several around Indianapolis and have found one Storm/Cyclops pack (which was the only one I wasn't looking for).

But if you could make a Minimate out of corn cobs & cow pies, this state would be setting the standard.

Let me ask you this. What other kinds of toys do the Targets that haven't stocked the Mates have on their shelves? Many retail locations have an inventory that is partially controlled by an (creative enough) inventory person. If they've never had mates on the shelf, why would they order them in? Or, if they've sold through a lot of them, they will probably order a bunch more. Stores are best looked as a clearing house. If it doesn't move or hasn't moved or the manager doesn't think it will move, they probably won't bring it in. Especially a nich toy like the Mates. It's not like we're talking about Lego or Star Wars. Does that make more sense? Maybe if the stores that aren't carrying them get enough requests for them they might bring them in.

I'm fairly sure he does this sort of thing cos it's fun for him to tease us and mess with our heads a little :), But there are also gems to be gleaned from his answers if you know how to read them.

He isn't obliged to answer anything (and does so in his own time, rumor has it often at home in from of the TV.), we've been over the fact that he's not going to break news in a Q&A many times, I'm surprised you havent realised that by now.

And dont forget The AA wesite has regular DST Q&A's but not one from AA...

T.

Must be hard for Chuck to get a date....

That's all I'm sayin'.

DSTChuck: We have no plans to create a "scale" for the Marvel line- they will continue to be all one size.

and that chuck's a LIAR!!!!!

remember this freak?!

leadergammahulkboxcroppvl6.jpg

......LIAR! I hate you, Chuck.