UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Graphic designers?

fatcow

Anyone do graphic design work on the side? I'm not looking to pay out the *** for design work but I need someone who can do stuff consistently, small stuff but still items that I cannot produce in PS.

Please let me know via pm, if you have a rate list that would be nie too!

Portfolios would be greatly appreciated!

I am a graphic designer. thumbsup.gif

Do you have a link to some of your work? It would be greatly appreciated!

Sure! Of course I have the designer's problem of never updating my own sites... dry.gif

Probably the most current is stuff on my facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wugmanmax

There is older work here at my site as well: http://douglattery.com/

I suspect over 90% of the people on this board are graphic designers of one sort or another... <_<

After over 22 years (yes, I've used Photoshop 1, Illustrator 88, cut amberlith, seen the birth of InDesign and the death of Freehand and Pagemaker) holding most Commercial Art titles from Graphic Designer to Art Director to Creative Director to Senior Creative Consultant to Prepress to Computer Graphics Artist to Certified Photoshop consultant, I can say that those 90% are welcome to the freelance work.

The best decision I made a couple years ago was to remove the Adobe Creative Suite from my home computer. It always seemed friends and family would hear "artist" or "designer" and immediately followed it up with " I have this great idea! Can you design/draw XXXXXXX for me?" Even at HALF freelance rate, they still balked at the cost for my time.

Now I can simply say, "Sorry, I don't have any of that installed anymore."tongue.gif

I HAVE considered re-installing Illustrator just to design some new minimate stickers, but just can't bring myself to do it yet.

If anyone here is a dedicated freelance designer, you have my respect and admiration. Because at times, it was a thankless job, with copius amounts of stress.

I couldn't agree more MrClean!

It is currently what I am doing and the stress level is indeed up there.

Surprisingly for me not as bad as when I was working in retail but I am ALSO surprised at the different type of stress I am getting, it amazes me at times!

To be honest though, I love it because I can finally be my own boss and be as creative as I wish and in a way, finally puts my degree to use.

But to answer the thread, I am as well a graphic artist that could help if need be.

I'm a graphic designer in retail and I offered to help some friends with lettering of the self-published comic. I'd work all day on the computers at my actual job, then come home and do the exact same thing until the wee hours. It was fun at first then slowly sucked the life out of me. I only did three issues before I had to give it up. Props to all freelancers out there- but being a new dad and working full time I just don't have the energy and drive for both. Even making minimate customs can be a hassle given my limited amount of free time. On a personal note, I've kinda of let myself go this past year and need to get back to the giant paperweight in our basement a.k.a. the treadmil. Glad my daughter sleeps like a rock..........finally. :lol:

I suspect over 90% of the people on this board are graphic designers of one sort or another... <_<

The best decision I made a couple years ago was to remove the Adobe Creative Suite from my home computer. It always seemed friends and family would hear "artist" or "designer" and immediately followed it up with " I have this great idea! Can you design/draw XXXXXXX for me?" Even at HALF freelance rate, they still balked at the cost for my time.

Now I can simply say, "Sorry, I don't have any of that installed anymore."tongue.gif

If anyone here is a dedicated freelance designer, you have my respect and admiration. Because at times, it was a thankless job, with copius amounts of stress.

I'm scaling back on my freelance work for a lot of these reasons. Everybody wants something from you and a lot of people don't follow through with payment...

My advice, though, is to find someone on the board or in real life that you can communicate with to do your design work rather than using a 99 Designs or similar service.

1- communication is key to getting the results you want and keeping your designer happy

2- those design contests aren't good for graphic designers or clients. Designers submitting work are offering up things they know might not get chosen and they might not get paid for, so it's generally not the highest quality work

Just my two cents. Good luck with your project!