UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Wars Celebration VI (6)

Dang !I wish :confused: ... But why DST dosnt make starwars minimates? I would defenetly buy them (Hard core star wars fan :lol: )

Man, wish I could. With the exception of Hamill, Ford and Daniel's I've got most of the major casts autographs. Between this and PAXWest, I tend to find out about them a little too late. Still hope everyone has fun.

Anyone planning on attending? I won't be there, but DST will be set up with their SW banks.

Yep! I'll be there. Any exclusive banks for C6?

There will be one, yeah. Plan to announce it soon.

The guys actually need some help setting up, let me know if you're interested in helping out.

I think Lucas already has a toy licensee for Star Wars.

And Hasbro sub-licenses high-end 12" figures to Sideshow.

The trick isn't necessarily licensing, it's trying to find a price point that allows for a high enough margin. Collectors are willing to pay over $100.00 for a well done 12" Star Wars doll but are they willing to pay as much for a set of Star Wars Minimates? That's a huge gamble.

Then again, look how much North American collectors spend on Star Wars Kubricks.

Anyone planning on attending? I won't be there, but DST will be set up with their SW banks.

Yep! I'll be there. Any exclusive banks for C6?

There will be one, yeah. Plan to announce it soon.

The guys actually need some help setting up, let me know if you're interested in helping out.

Sure! PM me the details. I'll be arriving there Wednesday night and staying through Sunday. I should have plenty of time on my hands there, so let me know how I can help!

• 4 weeks later...

I know members of the Minimates team would like to do SW Minimates. And I know that we rarely, if ever, get the license for something to ONLY do Minimates. We currently do banks and neon signs and bottle openers for Lucasfilm, but Minimates are not to be, apparently.

Our Slave 1 bank is probably close to Minimate scale, but I don't think it did very well, or we'd do more like it.

PM sent, monkeycrumb! Anyone else want to help out at the show?

I'm just sad that they don't do Celebration in Indy any more. I'd love to snag one of the R2 banks, but that's way too limited for me to think of buying on the secondary market.

And I'll chime in that I'm glad there aren't SW Minimates. I don't think many of the characters would translate well and I'd rather see DST focus on lines that don't already have figures made for them.

Edited by groundhog7s

And I'll chime in that I'm glad there aren't SW Minimates. I don't think many of the characters would translate well and I'd rather see DST focus on lines that don't already have figures made for them.

Agreed. Although I would love some Indiana Jones Minimates if Lucas wanted to try a minimate line he could start there.

And I'll chime in that I'm glad there aren't SW Minimates. I don't think many of the characters would translate well

How come?

For me Lego's latest take on the minifigs has really shown the characters and costumes can all look great and recognizable, even when simplified way beyond the Minimate level. I guess R2 or ewoks would be tricky, but they could always do a Snarf-style workaround. Original trilogy Star Wars is my dream line though, so I'm definitely biased in their favor :starwars:

Anyone else attending who'd like to help out at the DST booth, they could use an extra set of hands with set-up, before the show opens! You'd be free the rest of the time, just helping get a few things ready. You'd get on the floor early...

Edited by Zach Oat

Okay, new forum rule: Zach Oat should NOT be allowed to start a thread with "Star Wars" in the title. Those factors combined led to :wub: Palpatine and all. Just saying. ;)

Fixed that! ;)

And if we got Star Wars mates, I would drop Hasbro like a hot potato.

Post-Show wrap-up:

First, the staff didn't need any help from us fans, they told me it only took them a record 5hrs to set up Wednesday evening.

But the C6 Exclusive R2 Banks were COMPLETELY sold out for the entire show by the OPEN of the first day!! Damn VIP ticket & Exhibitors! Can DST not make enough to last at least one damn hour on the first day??

Yet another line I'm going to give up on now. Convention exclusives are killing all the fun in collecting now.

No new minimates were shown (no surprise)

And the new Universal Monster banks looked great. I want to pick these up but I'll have to think some more on starting a new line.

The new Star Wars banks were Han in Carbonite, 2 versions of Jawa, and a bunch of Clone Wars characters including a realistic CW Yoda. The OT stuff looked good, but now I think I'll pass.

Sorry to bring the negative, but seriously, F* this! Of course, I had the option to pay double the price in the dealers room, same for the SDCC exclusive R2. Nope. Nope. Nope. Done.

Also wanted to add my favorite part that you guys can all appreciate:

If any of you have ever met Dave Venemeyer, the Hasbro sculpter with a little mini booth at the Hasbro booth at most conventions including SDCC and the SW Celebrations, take the time to watch him work and chat!

He's now doing a lot of his sculpting on computer with ZBrush, and has his sculpts printed on a 3D printer. The resolution of these 3D prints are remarkable, with NO noticeable printing lines (like steps or dots on low-res 3D printers) AND high quality, high strength material (resin? He wasn't certain)

This is important for US because just imagine the possibilities for the customizing community! Production quality, non-fragile customs that look and feel indistinquishable from actual manufactured toys! One person can design a minimate Darth Vader and upload the digital file where any customizer can print their own! Imagine scanning a Hot Toys or Sideshow head sculpt and scaling it down for a 6-inch scale (or any scale you want) Marvel Legends or whatever. Or what if you want a minimate piece from a really rare minimate? just scan and print one you can alter however you wish without destroying something valuable. Scale down accessories for minimates. Make unmade characters from any line you like - Vintage Kenner Star Wars, Muppets, Futurama, etc, etc!

Costs are already dropping. There's a kickstarter hi-res 3d printer for around $1200. I imagine there will be a much larger custom community in just the next five years. The kickstarter project printed a mini-Eiffel Tower that was several inches tall and stated the cost of material was approx $1.20! That would make custom printed minimate parts for under fifty cents in material cost! If you were into customizing in the 12-inch scale, it would be *cheaper* to print than the actual production cost!

Imagine printing a 12-inch tall minimate Sentinel for around $20! And I'm sure some enterprising customizer would be willing to 3D model a minimate style Ecto-1.

I wish I could have gone, had some friends who did who picked me up an exclusive holographic Leia Vinylmation for my wife.

The announcements I always pay close attention to is about SW literature. I am super excited for the next SW series called Sword of the Jedi as that is about Jaina who I love so much I named my daughter after her!

I'm so sorry, Monkeycrumb. In our discussions, I never knew that you were looking for an R2-Q5 bank. I sometimes forget that people on this board collect other toy lines, let alone other toy lines we make.

If I had one, I would send it to you as thanks for your kind offer of help, even though it was not needed. Sadly, I do not.

I will have to disagree with most as I loved Celebration VI and especially loved stopping by the DST booth and seeing the minimates display.

Which you can all see here: http://crimsonmonkey.com/previews/celebration-vi-minimates-display/

This was the first time I saw the B&W Dale two pack beside press photos so I was excited. Also the DST rep working the booth, who's name I forgot, is also a diehard Orioles fan so I had a nice 15 minute chat about how great the O's are doing this year.

Any time I can chat with someone who loves Baltimore sports and minimates as much as myself is a great day.

My only disappointment was that they had no minimate promo figures. Would have loved a Battle Beast of a blank mate with the CVI logo on it.

I'm so sorry, Monkeycrumb. In our discussions, I never knew that you were looking for an R2-Q5 bank. I sometimes forget that people on this board collect other toy lines, let alone other toy lines we make.

If I had one, I would send it to you as thanks for your kind offer of help, even though it was not needed. Sadly, I do not.

That's very kind of you but I wouldn't have felt right in asking it of you. But thank you.