UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Any amateur "Arachnologists" here?

youbastards

Whoa! I don't know much about spiders, but I'd guess it's a huntsman spider, which are freshly but not much to worry about. Last year when my attic ended up in my bedroom, we found a big brown recluse had come down too!

I'm usually not squeemish about spiders as my brother had a pet tarantula when I was a kid, then I took it over when he went to college. However, tarantulas while big, are very slow and methodical, and take a lot of provoking to bite a human.

This spider was one of those fast and erratic spiders. I don't like those.

Turtle, I forgot about your roof incident, I take it everything is sorted? Brown recluse, aren't they extremely dangerous? Yikes!

Those are the worst kinds. The brown recluse really gave me a fright. The house is now better than new, thanks. New roof, hardwood floors throughout, and top-to-bottom kitchen are the stand outs. A lot of stress, but in the long run worth it.

Wolf spiders around here are typically not that big and have pretty distinctive stripes down there backs. If it is a wolf spider, then he's not so bad. My wife cringes, but I really like it when we have orb spiders in the garden. The spiders and their webs are pretty exquisite.

I'll have to research, the wolf spiders I usually see are small (about the size of a quarter) with short legs, and really furry. I wish we had more orb spiders, but they haven't been around much for the last decade. We don't see many big bumblebees anymore either, mostly hornets and wasps. :(

I did in fact take this quite seriously & spent a fair while researching 'big US spiders' ...I love this sort of thing . There's a whole range of Wolf Spiders (Lycosidae) & of course I may be way off but I determined what it was from the markings & it matched (to a degree) the details of a Wolf Spider ....we have nothing like it here & until today I had never heard of such a thing. There are 3000 named species in N.America & each species has dozens of variants.

It was about the size of my palm, the picture with the tree is a little misleading.

We found a snake this morning too, but it slithered under the steps before I could snap a picture. I found a snake in my basement a few years ago and was able to get it into a pillowcase and take outside. Mice are a yearly problem for us too, I think we had 5 inside last fall. If the traps don't get them, the cats usually corner them so I can grab them and toss them out in the park near our house.

I'm a big softy when it comes to animals, and try not to kill them if I can help it.

Spiders of all kinds are quite common in Australia. Especially in the warmer climates. A lot of older houses have out-houses and you need to be careful when reaching for the TP:

spider.jpg

The one that have always got my nerves up is when I heard of the Spider that nests in the toilet and can bite your in the bum when you sit down. Thankfully never heard of any in the UK because I'm not going to be in the mood for waddling around pants around ankles shouting " Suck out the venom! Suck out the venom!"

Size of your palm?! Yikes! I've never seen a wolf spider that big. We have them around here but they are the size of a bean. I kinda wish the brown recluse was large so I could see them easier. They can really put a hurting on you.

I did a little internetting this morning as this spider has really captured my attention. There was a similar looking spider that someone (spiderzule.com) identified as a wolf spider. Yours has the right eyes and body, and the markings are close enough. Then again, another similar looking spider was identified as a huntsman. The size alone is what makes me think huntsman, but you live up north, right YB? If so, that would lean more toward (giant mutated?) wolf spider.