UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Definitive Marvel Minimate Collection

fatcow

I have not been collecting very long, about two years now and my DC collection is almost complete. I also collect Battle Beasts and have all promo gators and both promo Vorins. Marvel comics are what lead me to Minimates but when I discovered that they weren't making DC anymore I realized I should collect and get as many of those as I want first.

Now on I'm on the verge of beginning my Marvel collection but am too intimidated. The variations and numbers are daunting. I understand that there are a number of teams, alternate universes and variants but I enjoy uniformity, or at least some sort of visual logic. I don't have any doubles in my collections so far, well except Battle Beasts but that is my first COMPLETE collection. I prefer to have definitive, singular versions of each character and display them together.

I brought this up with Buttheadsmate and he said he would post a list eventually but as he is a busy posting pictures of his Minimate stockpile I'd like to see what other people think.

Are 90's X-Men the way to go? Does movie Marvel fit in better with the rest of the 616 characters? I honestly don't know where to begin.

Thanks for the help guys!

I would start from newer releases and work your way back. DST has been re-doing and re-releasing heavy hitters, popular characters, and must-haves since the TRU mates.

A few quick sets that are good toget you started:

Disney Avengers

Disney Avengers 2

Classic Heroic Age

Villains Set

Heroes and Adversaries

From there, I would start to seek out your favorite characters.

And don't forget to use Ivan's incredible database!

Ivan is god.

And thanks for the suggestions, that was I was thinking of doing. Its just extremely daunting. I don't want to make a mistake and be stuck with an inferior figure or one that doesn't fit in with my other mates. I have two spare minimates right now, one was used for parts for a custom and the other is a custom that is no longer needed because I procured an actual DC Hal Jordan....they DRIVE ME INSANE.

Unfortunately the Disney Avengers sets don't really appeal to me visually, I like Kang and Grim Reaper though. I prefer a more modern look.

So far I'm leaning to either a 90's X-Men and Avengers collection or making a more modern line up with movie minimates tossed in where they fit.

Anyone who has suggestions please come forth! I need help!

Edited by fatcow

Depending on whom all you are trying to collect, I would go with a mix of movie and comic mates:

The Punisher: War Zone box set will get you a modern Punisher as well as a great looking Jigsaw for him to fight.

The new TRU exclusive Daredevil and Kingpin set is perfect for both of those characters.

Marvel vs Capcom has many modern Marvel looks: Wolverine, Phoenix, Super Skrull, upcoming Thor, etc.

Wave 47 will be good for your 90's X-men. Track down Gambit/Psyloch, Rogue/Beast and Prof X/Warpath. I would also recommend the SDCC set and track down a Namor/Atlantian solder pack from TRU for more modern X-men.

Wait for wave 48 for Fantastic Four. ;)

Spiderman? Goodluck liting yourself. If you want any of his villains, you gotta get another.

Hope that helps a little.

O6

EDIT: stupid iPod buttons

Edited by Onyx_6

Thanks Onyx!

Does anyone have any opinion on what the "best" Iron Man minimate is? I'm talking about a "modern" Iron Man, there's no point in going by armor numbers because the minimates I've seen have very little variation in them, at least the movie ones.

Totally confused.

I realize its slightly unreasonable to only want one of each character and for them all to fit together visually...but I guess I'm crazy.

Best of Iron Man if you want the Yellow and for Gold maybe MvC3 or Iron Man 2 movie

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1401&n=Iron+Man

For any to get the best versions, you'll have to mix and match parts. Like for my best Hulk I think I used the body from the MVC3 pack that came with Hagger and the face from

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1183&n=Hulk

and eventually hands from an even newer Hulk.

Same goes for Thor. You should probably get the Best Of Wave.

Definitely get the new Punisher that's at TRU now over the movie one.

Many regular characters are readily available in some form, but others like Gambit or specific costumes are probably a little pricier on secondary markets.

I would recommend the Uncanny X-Force boxset and whatever other boxsets you can find for cheap on ebay; and then hope you get lucky find loose singles.

Everyone will have their Definitive Marvel Minimate collection(DMMC) & I doubt if many would be the same . I also doubt that too many people beginning a Marvel collection would look further back than the end of 2007 .This period slowly heralded in a new 'breed' of Minimate ,it's difficult to define exactly when it started but IMO it was The Defenders set ....4 Minimates that still hold up well when compared with just about anything. Their were many beautiful Minimates made before this period but it can't be denied that a few look decidely odd now when placed in modern minimate company ....exceptions would be Black Spider-Man ,(W1) Spider-Man ,Black Cat,Silver Sable, Black Spider-Woman,Firestar,Frostie,Thor & Bearded Thor. I'll concede that standard Thor's head needs a swap out but I still think he & beardie haven't been surpassed . There are many more characters I love from this era but I'm being ruthlessly honest with my opinion.

Iron Man ? I know little about the details of his comic history versions so I'm just going for the Movie Wave 21 Mk.3 version & the superb TRU Wave 1 Stealth version....everybody ought have that guy in their collection .

The definitive Wolverine Minimate will be an interesting bag o'worms :biggrin:

Sh*t just got real. Rob's here.

I am contemplating either Wave 21 Iron Man or MvC Iron Man...MvC looks more comic book like and will fit in with the look I'm going for. SO CONFUSED.

Update: Extremis Iron Man has also been added to the list of candidates as it does look bulky like the movie figures but not overly shiny.

If anyone has any Thor, Hulk, Captain America suggestions those would be helpful too. :)

Edited by fatcow

I prefer the Avengers Movie Hulk. I like the slightly darker color he has compared to the comic ones. And, the Iron man he comes with, is a pretty cool one to have. He is slightly more armored than some, but I like him.

And for Black Widow, go with a movie version.

Just a few of the ones I consider "best of":

• Iron Man: MvC
  • Thor: wave 44/Disney 4-pack
  • Cap: Heroic age 4-pack (I think, the light blue one)
  • Hulk: Defenders
  • Wolverine: "Best of" wave
  • Spiderman: no idea, they all have so many different looks. But I do prefer the ones with Peter Parker underneath a mask.
  • Other suggestions:First appearance Avengers box set + TRU 1st appearance Thor + Heroic age Cap + "best of Iron Man + either Hawkeye + Vision, Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch = classic early Avengers team.

I like the X-men 1st appearance team as well.

So many choices, it all really comes down to personal preference. But you're almost certainly guaranteed duplicates at some point.

Edited by MrClean

Just a few of the ones I consider "best of":

• Iron Man: MvC
  • Thor: wave 44/Disney 4-pack
  • Cap: Heroic age 4-pack (I think, the light blue one)
  • Hulk: Defenders
  • Wolverine: "Best of" wave
  • Spiderman: no idea, they all have so many different looks. But I do prefer the ones with Peter Parker underneath a mask.
  • Other suggestions:First appearance Avengers box set + TRU 1st appearance Thor + Heroic age Cap + "best of Iron Man + either Hawkeye + Vision, Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch = classic early Avengers team.

I like the X-men 1st appearance team as well.

So many choices, it all really comes down to personal preference. But you're almost certainly guaranteed duplicates at some point.

do any of you have displays of movie mates and comic mates together?

If I was "just getting into Minimates" I would be daunted by the amount of figures to collect. BUT there is some really good news and strategies to employ:

1) decide if you are an opener. If you dont care about packaging, you can pick up loose figures in lots for a significant discount on eBay

2) trade with dudes here - long time collectors like me bought a lot of extra shit when we were more flush with dough and we want to trade for new stuff - look through the Want Have lists

3) focus on team building, over time you will have a substantial collection

The Heros and Adversaries box set from lukestoystore.com gets you IMO a solid Wolverine Spider-man and Deadpool (Venom will be replaced soon by Venom through the ages). I really like the marvel vs capcom figures and think there all done pretty well, plus they're newer so you shouldn't have to pay much for them and they should be easy to find. Just so you know I wanted to do what your attempting to start, just one main version of each character. My first mates were Brown Wolverine and Dark Magneto, which at the time I liked as their main versions but then I wanted yellow and blue Wolverine and found the H&A box at Luke's. Now I buy every new marvel mate and try to find good deals for older ones on eBay

I think there's been some misunderstanding in the thread. I am not just getting into minimates. I have a nearly complete DC collection and want to start on Marvel. Thanks for the advice though.

I have decided I'll be going with non-movie mates and 90's X-Men . The only decision I have to make now is which Iron Man, ocd is horrible.

But anyway, thanks everyone for your help!

I don't know how definitive you can really get with Marvel, but good luck to you. I look forward to what you come up with.

For Captain America I would say my personal favorite was wave 42 Cap with the jacket taken off, but now it's the one from the Disney Avengers sets. Slight differences between them, but they're both pretty much what I expect Cap to be.

I have no opinion of Thors, or Spideys or Iron Mans, but what everyone else has said so far is a good start to a thought process.

As to X-Men, well this is how I generally have mine. I have almost no villains though. Really just Magneto and Apocalypse. And for a definitive Mags it's tricky. The MvC one is pretty awesome right out of the box, but the Age of Apocalypse version with a different head and no hippie hair parts makes for my personal favorite. I also like Dark Magneto, but he's a darker, shinier red and the purple on him is almost lavender and a bit sparkly, so I go with AoA.

Anyways, good luck with you Marvelous endeavor.thumbsup.gif

Edited by The Geohound

The real question here should be: What's your definitive era?

Let's take Wolverine for example. If you're a kid of the 70's, your definitive Wolverine might be the yellow and black, Giant Sized X-Men version. However, if you're from the 80s, it'd be the brown and tan version. However again, if you like to keep things current, your definitive Wolverine could be the John Cassaday, Simone Bianche-tweaked version.

I totally understand the desire to only want one version of each major character, the question is, what version is it?

The real question here should be: What's your definitive era?

Let's take Wolverine for example. If you're a kid of the 70's, your definitive Wolverine might be the yellow and black, Giant Sized X-Men version. However, if you're from the 80s, it'd be the brown and tan version. However again, if you like to keep things current, your definitive Wolverine could be the John Cassaday, Simone Bianche-tweaked version.

I totally understand the desire to only want one version of each major character, the question is, what version is it?

YES. Someone who understands. In reference to Wolverine, I'd have to say black and yellow. I am slowly figuring out what I want from each character, the only three I am having a lot of trouble with are IM, Thor and Cap. Outside of the movie Iron Man figs, the rest aren't bulky enough for my liking. Extremis is nice but I dislike the paint job on that.

I will figure it out! My DC collection appears to be each characters most iconic ( to me ) appearance and costume so I figure that is what I'm going for with Marvel as well. I'm just hoping that I can figure out what Iron Man, Thor and Cap combo I want. If anyone wants to take a group photo for me it would be much appreciate ( I don't expect anyone to have the time to do this ) .

Thanks for all the help guys .

On another note, anyone selling this guy? http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1390&n=Captain+America

Edited by fatcow

I always kinda liked the New X-Men. Not particularly good, and it didn't last that long, but this cover was kinda iconic in my childhood.

jean-grey-wolverine.jpg

I just never understood why Logan claws were out. Were they afraid we wouldn't know who it was without them?

Sometimes, the claws are a reflex response, automatic if you will, when he's in heightened states of.... awareness. Yeah. Awareness. And you know, Jean Grey. Claws come out when she's just around, much less mounting the guy.

Totally talking out of my backside, by the way. All that is total bullshit.

You have nearly all the DC mms? wow, that's like 12 minimates. If you don't have any Marvels, you definitely are just getting started bc there's so so many Marvels.

What's your list of essential characters? Like starting fresh, let's say you could only 20 marvel characters, who'd they be?

You'll def have to throw down on some boxsets for exclusives unless you find them loose on ebay or trade.

YES. Someone who understands. In reference to Wolverine, I'd have to say black and yellow. I am slowly figuring out what I want from each character, the only three I am having a lot of trouble with are IM, Thor and Cap. Outside of the movie Iron Man figs, the rest aren't bulky enough for my liking. Extremis is nice but I dislike the paint job on that.

I'm sure everyone 'gets it', it's just hard to offer suggestions without the proper information. For instance, the best yellow and black Wolverine that I've seen is probably from the Heroes and Adversaries set which also comes with a pretty sweet Deadpool, Venom, and Spidey. Just FYI.

As for Iron Man, I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I prefer the slimmer, more modern armors for my Iron Men. Going off the philosophy laid out in Extremis, I think it's more cutting edge to be lightweight and strong than bulky and slow. In that same vein, I was upset with the Extremis Iron Man that was released because it was too bulky. It just didn't seem right. As it stands, I'm very excited about the possibility of the Phoenix Buster Iron Man so I can finally get a modern, slim version of the Armored Avenger.

Also, for Thor, I suggest you check out the Stormbreaker set from last year. That Thor is my defacto traditional Thor now, even after the bevy of Thunder Gods we got this year. Although I might replace him with the MVC THor that's supposed to be out anytime now.

I always kinda liked the New X-Men. Not particularly good, and it didn't last that long, but this cover was kinda iconic in my childhood.

jean-grey-wolverine.jpg

A- you make me feel old.

B- I totally agree. I would love nothing else than to finish the New X-Men era team. Unfortunately, I think you and I are in the minority here.