The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been very behind due to moving but just caught up to RAW. Wrestlemania wasn't bad but wasn't that great either. Only match that really stood out was Punk/Taker. But man oh man, what a RAW! Well, on paper, it didn't seem that great. I guess we got spoiled by Brock last year that we expected something big. But there are hot crowds and then there are crowds that do whatever and make things fun! Ziggler's win was only maybe slightly overshadowed by the crowd's random chants (Orton/Sheamus match was just ridiculous). And the Fandango hums! I will be honest and admit that I have been humming his theme in my head for weeks. But I thought it was just me! Too bad there aren't more random crowds like this to make boring RAWs better.

• 2 weeks later...

So how about that Raw, huh? Not a bad show at all, and the Shield/ Hell No and Undertaker match was pretty special. But Smackdown sounds like it might be even better:

Undertaker vs. Dean Ambrose!

Edited by hellpop

I only saw parts of Raw, and it seemed OK to me. The only real issue I had was that they brought hometown guy Regal out, and he just jobbed to Fandango. I understand him losing, but he flat out jobbed. He didn't do anything in the ring apart from some elbows. This, the guy who had some of the best television matches of the 1990s with guys like Benoit, Finlay, Jericho, and Malenko. Makes me a bit sick, and really spoils the entirety of the show that I saw. . .seems like Cody Rhodes also lost fairly quickly to dancing Tensai, which is pathetic. I had high hopes for Rhodes awhile back, but now it seems he'll be a mid-carder 4-Life.

Bryan and Seth Rollins had some moments of greatness in the ring, though. Those guys should be fighting for the world championship, not sometimes interacting as parts of gimmicky tag teams.

Edited by karamazov80

I look forward to Team Hell No breaking up and Bryan taking on Ziggler for the title.

Also in my fantasy wrestling world, Del Rio / Swagger / Orton / Sheamus can all take turns being beat up by the Big Show and Mark Henry.

I look forward to Team Hell No breaking up and Bryan taking on Ziggler for the title.

Also in my fantasy wrestling world, Del Rio / Swagger / Orton / Sheamus can all take turns being beat up by the Big Show and Mark Henry.

That would be so glorious! *cue John Lennon's Imagine* In my fantasy wrestling world, it is the same but they are all mid-carders, and the beatees are joined by John Cena and Feed Me More guy. Also, Samoa Joe would go to WWE to get involved in the title chase with Bryan/Cesaro/Ziggler/Punk/Rollins/Jericho/possibly Rhodes ASAP before he gets too old to still be great in the ring.

Dave Meltzer said that Regal wrestled Fandango to make sure that the latter was treated like a heel. A line of thinking I've never quite understood. If people want to cheer the guy, let them cheer the guy. They should be glad that people aren't just ignoring Fandango, as I bet they will be a year from now, when we all look at him and go "remember when people liked him?", like we do with Brodus Clay.

Meltzer also said that the great Kane/Bryan promo, with Daniel's diagrams, was an in joke about an incident with Diamond Dallas Paige. Seems that one night DDP showed up for a match with the Undertaker with piles of notes and diagrams for their match. 'Taker just looked at him and said "we'll just call it in the ring".

That would be so glorious! *cue John Lennon's Imagine* In my fantasy wrestling world, it is the same but they are all mid-carders, and the beatees are joined by John Cena and Feed Me More guy. Also, Samoa Joe would go to WWE to get involved in the title chase with Bryan/Cesaro/Ziggler/Punk/Rollins/Jericho/possibly Rhodes ASAP before he gets too old to still be great in the ring.

I want to watch your fantasy world instead of the real WWE.

Dave Meltzer said that Regal wrestled Fandango to make sure that the latter was treated like a heel. A line of thinking I've never quite understood. If people want to cheer the guy, let them cheer the guy. They should be glad that people aren't just ignoring Fandango, as I bet they will be a year from now, when we all look at him and go "remember when people liked him?", like we do with Brodus Clay.

Meltzer also said that the great Kane/Bryan promo, with Daniel's diagrams, was an in joke about an incident with Diamond Dallas Paige. Seems that one night DDP showed up for a match with the Undertaker with piles of notes and diagrams for their match. 'Taker just looked at him and said "we'll just call it in the ring".

Looking at the silver lining, Regal wouldn't have been on the card at all if not for that, so. . .I guess that's something. But they did more than make Fan look heelish--they made him look strong and legit. I can appreciate that, but prefer it when they use Long Island Iced Z for that purpose instead of a wrestling legend.

I want to watch your fantasy world instead of the real WWE.

Also in my dreams, the crowd is nothing but hot and scantily clad women. Also, I can fly and shoot lightning bolts out of my fingers.

Just watched the 'Taker/Ambrose match... very good TV match. I'm not as big as some are on the Shield (I don't completely "get" the gimmick, and I don't like the outfits at all), but I do love how they've built and protected them. Basically, if they'd done this with the Nexus all those years ago, those guys might have become something instead of just a bunch of jobbers and also-rans (and Daniel Bryan, of course, but he was only a member for a day). The match felt special, Ambrose looked like he belonged, and it left you wanting more. Could Undertaker return at SummerSlam?

Yeah, I don't really understand the SHIELD gimmick either. They're wearing some kind of pseudo military gear, and their theme song starts out with some military jargon for some reason? And I don't really get their motivations. What they say really makes no sense whatsoever. But damn if I don't still really dig them. Having Ambrose and Rollins on their team, and making them seem important, is probably the biggest part of that though.

See, the thing is, if they're mission is to combat injustice in the WWE... where do you begin? It's like a couple years ago, when Edge said he was starting a campaign against everything stupid in the WWE or something like that, and there's just... you wouldn't be left with a WWE if you removed everything stupid from it, you know what I mean?

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez, we haven't talked about wrestling all month? Yeah, it's been that kind of a month. Save us, CM Punk!

But I will say that, if you haven't seen it yet, check out the Antonio Cesaro/ Kofi Kingston match that everyone's talking about from Main Event a couple weeks ago. It's really pretty great. I haven't really paid much attention to Cesaro, but he made a believer out of me. I think he's in line for a big push, and I bet he'll be taking down one of the MITB briefcases. If not him, I've got no idea who else, since the midcard is such a disaster right now.

I've been a big fan of Cesaro going back to his Ring of Honor days. Frankly, I don't think ROH pushed him as hard as they could have, by keeping him in a tag team for the longest time (a very significant tag team, but still). I've seen one match of his with Nigel McGuinness that was pure poetry in motion.

Yeah, I don't really understand the SHIELD gimmick either. They're wearing some kind of pseudo military gear, and their theme song starts out with some military jargon for some reason? And I don't really get their motivations. What they say really makes no sense whatsoever. But damn if I don't still really dig them. Having Ambrose and Rollins on their team, and making them seem important, is probably the biggest part of that though.

I love the SHIELD and I'm on the edge of my seat during all their matches. That spear right when the opponent is about to finish one of them is a great combo.

The military jargon is the SHIELD in phonetic alphabet.

Sierra

Hotel

India

Echo

Lima

Delta

When they first came out and I hear "the Shield" all I could think about was Vick Mackey. GOD I miss that show..and Shane.