UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I Made a Movie! Love in the Time of Monsters! GET IT ON ITUNES!

funkguerilla

And Oh Man am I excited!

Lemme rewind a bit. You see, for the past few years I've been developing a feature film with a few guys. It was after I did a short film that the producer and I went looking for scripts and found the perfect one just under our noses. And now, after years of developing, what started as a 'we should totally make a movie together' has finally blossomed into 'Hold onto your butts because this is happening'. It's awesome, in every sense of the word. The movie in question is called LOVE IN THE TIME OF MONSTERS, and it's a sure fire horror-comedy classic. Here, check out the poster:

LitToMTeaserPoster1v3.jpg

The movie follows two sisters, Marla and Carla, as they travel to a schlocky americana-themed roadside attraction to surprise Carla's Fiance, Johnny. Johnny is a costumed performer, who plays as one of the bigfoots, for the end of the appropriately entitled Bigfoot tour, along with five other guys. Problems arise when the guys fall in a swamp filled with toxic ooze and emerge as violent mutated monsters. Now Marla and Carla (along with a small selection of the lodge staff) have to defend themselves from these blood-thirsty beasts, without killing the one they love. You know, standard stuff.

We've got a pretty sizable cast of great actors including horror veterans like Kane Hodder (Jason from Friday the 13th 7-X), Doug Jones (Abe Sapien from Hellboy, Pan from Pan's Labyrinth, and just about every other big genre picture out there), Michael McShane (Friar Tuck from Prince of Thieves and a mainstay on the old British Who's Line is it Anyway), and Playboy's Miss February 2010 Heather Rae Young. Not to mention a handful of up-and-comers that you might just recognize. It's an amazing group, and I can't wait to see them in action.

And at the head of all this chaos is me, the director. It's my first feature, and I'm a crazy mix of excited and overwhelmed. I've had a month jam packed full of meetings with all the departments, the vast majority of the actors, last minute auditions, the director of photography (to really nail down the shot list), and somehow squeeze in time to enjoy being a newlywed (Also I got married a month ago, it was nuts. Word to the wise, never make a movie and get married at the same time). But even with all this insanity, I love it. I can't get enough of it. This is what I've wanted to do with my life and finally I have the opportunity to make my dreams come true. It's a very exciting moment.

Two last things and then I'll stop going on and on about this movie.

1- The obligatory social media plugs. If you're so inclined, you should 100% check out our production blog (http://www.uncleslavkosfuntimeblog.com'>Uncle Slavko's Fun Time Blog). We're posting constant updates there from big casting announcements, live pictures from meetings, and just general filmic philosophies. If that's not enough for you, you can also follow us on http://www.twitter.com/uncleslavko'>The Twitter and http://www.facebook.com/loveinthetimeofmonsters'>The Facebook. And if you're still aching for content from us (and I'm not sure how or why this would happen), you can also subscribe to our http://www.youtube.com/uncleslavko'>YouTube account, where we'll be posting regular (as in bi-weekly for the next few weeks) videos of the process as it happens. Currently there are three videos up, including one where I ramble on for a minute about how awesome the cast is.

Whew.

2- As if all of this isn't enough to whet your appetite or show you how excited I am about this whole thing, I got one more thing to knock your socks off: I have a test scene. Brief backstory: We went to a film market this past November and wanted to show investors what kind of movie we were making; a proof of concept, if you will. So we pulled a small scene from the script, expanded it just a tad and BAM! scene. It stars two of our actual actors, Marissa Skell and Jade Carter who are both utterly fantastic.

One minor thing about this clip, it's sNSFW, as in it involves a pretty girl running around in her underpants. If your workplace frowns on that kinda thing, wait until you get home to watch it. Or, if you're under the age of 13, do me a favor and make sure a parent or something knows what you're watching. There's nothing more scandalous here than you'd find on a cable show in primetime, but I just wanted y'all to be aware upfront. That said, here's the clip!

I'm so crazy excited; I hope you are too! Thanks for checking us out! Edited by funkguerilla

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gongratulations!!!! I have one question though,what is needed to become a director? I mean you go in the right school and stuff but then how do you make a film and then get a job? Do you and your buddies collect some money,do you write the script etc and then some one from a company sees it and they hire you? I ask because I would like to become a director(it's in my top 3 jobs:1st doctor or lawyer in the army,2nd director,3rd something about science. I'm still young I haven't decided yet.) but I find it risky.

That's really, truely cool. You'll have to let us know a) how it's going, B) when we can go see it.

Another quick question: where are you filming?

haha that clip was great. It's amazing you got Doug Jones. and Michael McShane, he does the voice of D's Hand in Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, my favorite anime of all time. I hope it all works out for the best. yesterday I was watching Killer Klowns from Outer Space and thinking how I like real costumes so much more than computer generated stuff.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It really means a lot to me!

Gongratulations!!!! I have one question though,what is needed to become a director? I mean you go in the right school and stuff but then how do you make a film and then get a job? Do you and your buddies collect some money,do you write the script etc and then some one from a company sees it and they hire you? I ask because I would like to become a director(it's in my top 3 jobs:1st doctor or lawyer in the army,2nd director,3rd something about science. I'm still young I haven't decided yet.) but I find it risky.

To be honest, to become a director you need a clear vision and a camera. With those two things, everything else just seems to fall into place. That said, becoming a 'working' director is much harder and involves a lot more headaches.

Personally, I graduated college almost nine years ago - egads! when did that happen? - and moved to Los Angeles with a few friends and the desire to direct. I found work in reality TV where I was able to hone my skills as a filmmaker as well as make sure I had food on the table. While I was doing that, I also took the time to shoot small shorts in my downtime to keep me nice and sharp. A few years ago, I ended up making a a real festival short with a friend of mine (which ended up going to almost a dozen fests) and fostered that relationship to where I am today.

The sad truth is that in this business there is no surefire career path. If you want to be a director, then you need to persevere enough to figure out what the best path is for you. Some people do fine without schooling (though I wouldn't recommend it), some insist on internships, some say it's all about where you go to school; in the end though, it comes down to if you have enough drive to make it happen for yourself. It's a strange, draining business with spots of pure elation. There might not be a ton of money in what I do, but for right now it's the only thing I want to do with my life.

Things to keep in mind as you start planning your future, Kostisfire. I totally recommend you go to school first (that is, a university or higher learning of some kind) and see what really interests you.

Also, surely Minimates are to be rolled out as part of the merchandise for this movie....?

God, don't I wish! I'll go on record right now that if this movie has any kind of commercial success, DST is the first place I'd go for merchandizing.

That's really, truely cool. You'll have to let us know a) how it's going, B) when we can go see it.

Another quick question: where are you filming?

a - Will do. Or at least, I'll attempt.

b- We're hoping we'll have it done by the end of the year. Hopefully by then we'll have a buyer that will want to showcase our awesome movie. I'll definitely keep you posted on that one.

bonus - Northern California. Like almost Oregon, Northern California. Officially, it's in Gasquet which is about 45 minutes outside of Crescent City. Fun Fact about the area: It's where they shot the Endor scenes from Return of the Jedi. As if I needed another reason to love that part of the country. I can't wait to shoot makeshift star wars scenes on our days off!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Just a quick update.

We've been shooting for nine days up here in Del Norte County and so far everything's been amazing! Great crew, amazing cast, and some fantastic scenery will make for a stellar finished project. I can't wait to bask in the glow of a finished production, but until then I have a tough nine days to plow through. Wish me luck!

Also, our video blogs have been coming out at a rapid clip, so if you'd like to get a glimpse at the craziness that my life has been for the past couple of weeks, you should check it out. In fact, the latest one stars yours truly. I hope you like it.

Also, just a general thing, y'all gotta stop with all the awesome minimate news. Between that shocking Wave 50 news and the release of wave 44, I feel like I'm falling behind the times.

Thanks for sharing this. It's great to see how it develops and how much fun and excitement it seems to be. Hope that lasts! And it's really cool to have the director of that movie here, so we can be all fanboy(-girl) and ask questions and cheer and stuff. :tongue:

Anyway, since I'm working in a Philosophy Department, I do see a lot of beards around, but I guess you guys do top us.

• 4 months later...

Man, I love the trailer/teaser, it looks awesome! I wish you the best of luck with your shoot!

I've been on a coupla sets in my time, I tried getting into prosthetic make up/effects/prop making,

but I've now headed in a different direction.

Thanks for keeping us posted, and yeah, we wanna see minimates of this!

'Turning... sound speed...'

Aww, I miss them days...

I've been in two movies and its horribly boring most of the time. I look forward to seeing the film funkguerilla. I've already heard a few cool things about it through the horror enthusiast grapevine.

• 6 months later...