UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toyline of the Year. It's time.

You know what? It's well past time Minimates were recognized for their unequivocal awesomeness.

It's their tenth anniversary, and Minimates are expanding in a way few other toylines are. The other perennial fan favorites like MOTUC, DC Classics, and Marvel Legends are holding steady or even contracting, while Minimates are exploding into all sorts of new territory this year. We've gotten Pirates and Ghostbusters; we're getting Street Fighter and Tekken; we have The Walking Dead and Battle Beasts on the near horizon. That's not to mention the seeming tidal wave of fan-favorite Marvel characters keeping that franchise fresh this year. There aren't many other toylines with that kind of reach and cross-brand appeal.

So rather than watching this line we love get relegated once again to an also-ran lumped into an ill-fitting catchall category, let's put some muscle behind Minimates in the awards scene this year. I say we start the campaign today, right now. Start lobbying your friends you know vote in the Poppies and other "Toy of the Year" type contests. Use a #2012toylineoftheyear hashtag when you tweet about Minimates. Put it in your signature on forums. Get creative.

Okay, so... do I hold my spear up in the air and yell now or something? I'm not sure how to wrap this speech up. :unsure:

Okay, so... do I hold my spear up in the air and yell now or something? I'm not sure how to wrap this speech up. :unsure:

'They make take our lives, but they will never take . . . our MINIMATES!'

All joking aside, count me as on board for whatever help you need to get this campaign rolling.

Minimates are well over-due for some recognition.

Edited by Nessex

They're the #1 toyline I collect. I gave up 6" figures long ago for 'em. The only other toyline I collect is the S. H. MonsterArts GODZILLA stuff (and the Revoltech stuff when they put out a Toho guy).

I'm definitely all about minimates getting some well-deserved recognition!

Aw, you guys...

Although, technically, this may be the year Ghostbusters Minimates ended. :sad:

On the bright side, I just wrote Previews text for Santa's Ship! Plus, Expendables, Tomb Raider, Knight Rider, etc. It's been a good year, and will keep getting better. SDCC will be pretty cool. And something may happen this year that will pay off next year, so it's a two-fer.

Edited by Zach Oat

I'll be a foot soldier in this campaign.

Minimates are not a passing fad, and the folks at Lucas and Warner Bros need to recognize. They have survived literally dozens of block/action figure challenges. We need someone to do a graphic with all the dead lines at the feet of minimates Wolverine (PALS, Shockinis, I-Men, etc)