UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Help me name my gym! *Prizes?*

fatcow

I really love Mary Poppins & Dick van Dick has always been my most fave best actor of all time. His almost perfect English accent has endeared him to me since I first heard him sing that wonderfully accurate olde English song that we plucky ordinary cockney types sing daily in England the capital of London...

Howzabout 'Gym Cheree' ? Here's the TV ad......

"Gym,gym & me,gym,gym & me

Gym gym cheree

Our members is as lucky as lucky can be

Gym,gym & me,gym,gym & me

The pounds will rub off when you join our club for free*

So blow up your biceps & bring your friends too."

I love that movie :sick:

*Terms apply ,'free' is an overused term implying 'no payment'

Seriously fatcow, all the best,all the very best & I wish you well in your venture :thumbsup:

I really love Mary Poppins & Dick van Dick has always been my most fave best actor of all time. His almost perfect English accent has endeared him to me since I first heard him sing that wonderfully accurate olde English song that we plucky ordinary cockney types sing daily in England the capital of London...

Howzabout 'Gym Cheree' ? Here's the TV ad......

"Gym,gym & me,gym,gym & me

Gym gym cheree

Our members is as lucky as lucky can be

Gym,gym & me,gym,gym & me

The pounds will rub off when you join our club for free*

So blow up your biceps & bring your friends too."

I love that movie :sick:

*Terms apply ,'free' is an overused term implying 'no payment'

Seriously fatcow, all the best,all the very best & I wish you well in your venture :thumbsup:

Best post in the this thread....well Fatcow's Sweat Shack is close. Dick Van Dyke = genius. Mary Poppins = genius.

So far groundhog's name is looking like a keeper RetroActive.

UPDATE:

If anyone has ideas for a caption, and we go with it, you will be rewarded...maybe not handsomely but still...you can buy mates .

The Danger Room was my first thought as well... but it's admittedly only clever to those who get it.

To everyone who didn't get it... it might not register as a gym. Could be anything from a hunting store to laser tag... lol... or just a Bar... 'cause those always have pointless names.

Edited by Gillbob316

Looks more than likely that we will be going with groundhog's RetroActive! :) We just have to make sure we can use the name. If anyone has any ideas for captions or slogans please feel free to contribute. As soon as we confirm we can use the name some paypaling will occur. Looking at arcade machines for the place right now, and perhaps some cool statues. Anyone have a good source for cheap-ish statues, I realize cheap is relative when talking about comic book/movie busts and statues but still.

Thanks again for everything guys, hopefully we can use the name, if not the name suggesting will continue! And I will keep everyone up to date on how things progress.

Looks more than likely that we will be going with groundhog's RetroActive! :) We just have to make sure we can use the name. If anyone has any ideas for captions or slogans please feel free to contribute. As soon as we confirm we can use the name some paypaling will occur. Looking at arcade machines for the place right now, and perhaps some cool statues. Anyone have a good source for cheap-ish statues, I realize cheap is relative when talking about comic book/movie busts and statues but still.

Thanks again for everything guys, hopefully we can use the name, if not the name suggesting will continue! And I will keep everyone up to date on how things progress.

Just statues or are you looking for busts as well?

Looks more than likely that we will be going with groundhog's RetroActive!

:banana:

Seriously, just happy to help.

It seriously appreciated, hopefully we get the go ahead. Its trademarked by an obscure greeting card company though but we should be able to use it since it is not a household name and we are involved in completely separate lines of work...not like I'm calling it X-Men Fitness. Haha. We may have to use it with a space in between so Retro Active...will see how it works out.

The help is greatly appreciated and will paypal you as soon as we get it registered, you're the man! Now we're trying to come up with a caption.

Earlier we had, Fitness For The Discerning Chicagoan but that seems out of place now.

Also we are looking for busts and statues, just things that are aesthetically interested even to people who aren't into comics. Obviously we'll have to keep the scantily clad ladies and skulls and satan statues to a minimum.

Also if anyone can think of any interesting additions to the name that would be appreciated because I'm lost. In the event that we can't do RetroActive we will need to modify it. I was thinking gym,fitness,health club, athletics but none of them roll of the tongue and sound like something we want to do.

depending on how big you want to go on the statues I always found the scrap metal art to be cool. but the big ones can run into loads of money.

This place is in my neck of the woods Liverpool UK http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Steel-Art-Productions I'm sure there must be artists etc in chicago doing this sort of thing.

The pub I goto has a large guitar playing scrap metal statue. They are cool close up.

depending on how big you want to go on the statues I always found the scrap metal art to be cool. but the big ones can run into loads of money.

This place is in my neck of the woods Liverpool UK http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Steel-Art-Productions I'm sure there must be artists etc in chicago doing this sort of thing.

The pub I goto has a large guitar playing scrap metal statue. They are cool close up.

awesome idea! looking into it now.

Just to keep you guys updated some cool stuff we are purchasing/in the process of building :

Indoor running track ( small but important in chicago with the horribly unpredictable weather )

Indoor bleachers ( kind of like you see in high schools, so that people can actually run the stairs instead of using those insufferable stair climbers )

a minimate display case

arcade machines/lounge

vintage tin posters

trying to build a life-size dalek from doctor who but looking very difficult at the moment

ice bath area for accelerated recovery from workouts.

It seriously appreciated, hopefully we get the go ahead. Its trademarked by an obscure greeting card company though but we should be able to use it since it is not a household name and we are involved in completely separate lines of work...not like I'm calling it X-Men Fitness. Haha. We may have to use it with a space in between so Retro Active...will see how it works out.

You should be fine. A trademark on a common phrase like that would only really apply in the event you're in a similar business, and one could be confused with the other. Since it's unlikely that anyone could confuse greeting cards with a gym, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem. Of course, I'm NOT a lawyer; just a librarian that's had a decent amount of schooling in copyright/trademark law.

Also if anyone can think of any interesting additions to the name that would be appreciated because I'm lost. In the event that we can't do RetroActive we will need to modify it. I was thinking gym,fitness,health club, athletics but none of them roll of the tongue and sound like something we want to do.

Sorry, Crisis of Infinite Fitness is still all I've got....

You should be fine. A trademark on a common phrase like that would only really apply in the event you're in a similar business, and one could be confused with the other. Since it's unlikely that anyone could confuse greeting cards with a gym, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem. Of course, I'm NOT a lawyer; just a librarian that's had a decent amount of schooling in copyright/trademark law.

Sorry, Crisis of Infinite Fitness is still all I've got....

Hellpop, I say this to no one except my wife and son...and honestly for your post I LOVE YOU. Thanks for the input. Sorry, business partner shot down COIF..otherwise I was sold.

Elseworld Fitness - The Alternate Gym

Ohhh, I really like that one. It might be a little to obscure for the non-comics fan, but it's got a real ring to it.

Thanks but yeah I know, it was a long shot! :)

Here's a slogan for Retro Active:

"Old-School Hobbies Meet New-School Health"

Elseworld Fitness - The Alternate Gym

Ohhh, I really like that one. It might be a little to obscure for the non-comics fan, but it's got a real ring to it.

Thanks but yeah I know, it was a long shot! :)

Here's a slogan for Retro Active:

"Old-School Hobbies Meet New-School Health"

AWESOME. :D going to pitch that to my partner and the people doing our branding today. I am blown away by this forum.